265/65/18 tires - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

265/65/18 tires

 
Old 02-11-19, 08:05 AM
  #1  
Madtiger
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Madtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: CO
Posts: 72
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default 265/65/18 tires

I have no plan on getting anything bigger than this size. Quick questions:

1. Does it rub at extreme steering angles? And when fully compress?

2. Does it fit under in the spare tire area?

I understand that it will slightly affect the speedometer and mileage.
Madtiger is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 08:25 AM
  #2  
CobraSpdRH
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I can tell you it doesn't rub at all, at least for my 265/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

I didn't replace the spare so can't comment on that.
CobraSpdRH is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to CobraSpdRH For This Useful Post:
Madtiger (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 08:41 AM
  #3  
GoHuskers
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,521
Thanked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CobraSpdRH View Post
I can tell you it doesn't rub at all, at least for my 265/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

I didn't replace the spare so can't comment on that.
I also have 265.65.18 Defender LTX and it fits perfec, no rubbing whatsoever. I didn't replace the spare so I can comment.

GoHuskers is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoHuskers For This Useful Post:
Madtiger (02-11-19), Yona (02-12-19)
Old 02-11-19, 08:49 AM
  #4  
ASE
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: WA
Posts: 35
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GoHuskers View Post
I also have 265.65.18 Defender LTX and it fits perfec, no rubbing whatsoever. I didn't replace the spare so I can comment.
+1 on the Michelin’s ... fills out the wheel well perfectly with absolutely no rubbing. Did not replace spare ... figured spare would only be used for short distance where air-down would address any issues if absolutely necessary ... we’re only talking a 1/2” difference.
ASE is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ASE For This Useful Post:
Madtiger (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 09:37 AM
  #5  
Madtiger
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Madtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: CO
Posts: 72
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I want to replace spare because difference in diameter may be problematic for VSC......and if you’re off-roading and have CRAWL, then that can really screw up CRAWL i think.
Madtiger is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 06:14 AM
  #6  
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Madtiger View Post
I have no plan on getting anything bigger than this size. Quick questions:

1. Does it rub at extreme steering angles? And when fully compress?

2. Does it fit under in the spare tire area?

I understand that it will slightly affect the speedometer and mileage.
My KO2's in that size don't rub. My guess is that these would fit in the spare location, but I can't confirm.

Airpirate is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 07:11 AM
  #7  
Madtiger
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Madtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: CO
Posts: 72
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Airpirate View Post
My KO2's in that size don't rub. My guess is that these would fit in the spare location, but I can't confirm.
Very nice looking!! I would love KO2 but i am afraid of its Load Range E...and 51 lbs per tire. How’s the ride compare to stock? Gas mileage?
Madtiger is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 07:16 AM
  #8  
Madtiger
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Madtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: CO
Posts: 72
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Anyone have Continental TerrainContact AT?? I know that these are “mild” AT tires but from TireRack reviews, they are excellent dual purpose tires. I spend most of my time on-road/highway.
Madtiger is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 07:49 AM
  #9  
MCDavis
Driver School Candidate
 
MCDavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Madtiger View Post
Anyone have Continental TerrainContact AT?? I know that these are “mild” AT tires but from TireRack reviews, they are excellent dual purpose tires. I spend most of my time on-road/highway.
No experience with that specific tire, but I've not been overly impressed with the Conti's I've had on other vehicles...usually the OEM offering.

The best highway tire with some offroad use is hands down the Michelin Defender LTX (previously the LTX M/S2)
MCDavis is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 07:51 AM
  #10  
Madtiger
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Madtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: CO
Posts: 72
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
No experience with that specific tire, but I've not been overly impressed with the Conti's I've had on other vehicles...usually the OEM offering.

The best highway tire with some offroad use is hands down the Michelin Defender LTX (previously the LTX M/S2)
Are the Defenders quiet??
Madtiger is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 08:03 AM
  #11  
GoHuskers
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,521
Thanked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Madtiger View Post


Are the Defenders quiet??
a little louder than latitude but better in any other categories. Hopefully it will last longer than the 31k miles I got from my Latitude.
GoHuskers is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 08:32 AM
  #12  
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Madtiger View Post


Very nice looking!! I would love KO2 but i am afraid of its Load Range E...and 51 lbs per tire. How’s the ride compare to stock? Gas mileage?
I have carefully documented my mileage, and it is running around 15 in town and 20 at 65mph on the freeway. 19 above 65mph. Therefore, whatever penalty exists with the KO2's must be minimal. These tires are noisier than the stock Pirelli tires, but not by much. I don't mind the tire noise at all, considering the improved look and traction.
Airpirate is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Airpirate For This Useful Post:
Madtiger (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 09:08 AM
  #13  
MCDavis
Driver School Candidate
 
MCDavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Madtiger View Post
Are the Defenders quiet??
That's one of their pro's...stupidly quiet actually, and they roll forever. Very little rolling resistance for what they are. They shed water like crazy, and since they're so heavily siped they do well in the snow/ice too.

Originally Posted by GoHuskers View Post
a little louder than latitude but better in any other categories. Hopefully it will last longer than the 31k miles I got from my Latitude.
I think the Defender is warrantied to 60-70k miles depending on the tire size.
MCDavis is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 10:22 AM
  #14  
situman
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,566
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
That's one of their pro's...stupidly quiet actually, and they roll forever. Very little rolling resistance for what they are. They shed water like crazy, and since they're so heavily siped they do well in the snow/ice too.


I think the Defender is warrantied to 60-70k miles depending on the tire size.
They are also heavy too! 40 something pounds each per Tirerack! I may go for the Premier LTX, but apparently they wear terribly.
situman is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 10:48 AM
  #15  
Madtiger
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Madtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: CO
Posts: 72
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by situman View Post
They are also heavy too! 40 something pounds each per Tirerack! I may go for the Premier LTX, but apparently they wear terribly.
It’s 38-39 lbs or so. Have you seen BFG KO2??!! They are like 51 lbs! . Defenders are lightweight compared to that!
Madtiger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: