GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

265/65/18 tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 09:11 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 993 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by Madtiger

Maybe. But i don’t like to leave it up to chance or maybes. For a vehicle this expensive, do i really want to play with guesses? Like 5 psi guess? I don’t. YMMV.
This is a truck based platform and not a Prius ... so you may want to check your fear based instincts before alarming others.

To "get home" or to close distance tire repair ... this thread is not worth the consternation. Adjust air pressures if you go short distance, otherwise if going distance ... especially at high speed ... yes, go with all tires matching.

Can this thread be done now ... please ?#?

Last edited by ASE; 02-15-19 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-15-19, 09:49 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
This is a truck based platform and not a Prius ... so you may want to check your fear based instincts before alarming others.
Seriously?! Alarming others? Hint: don’t read my post. You found my post useful...now, all of a sudden, i am spreading false info?

So, you have FACTS to say that different diameter tires are perfectly OK??? If so, then show them....i would LOVE to see it because it will make me less worry when i upgrade!! Please show me my ignorance! This is the one time that i don’t mind!

What does truck-based platform have to do with anything???? Explain that to me too. Because it is body-on-frame, then you can run different size tires??? Or are you saying that because it has solid rear axle, then you can run different size tires?

I get it...you guys don’t want to change your spare. GREAT!!! I am not your mother. Do what you want. I was just asking if 265/65/18 fit in the damn spare compartment!!! That’s all. I explained my rationale behind my thinking, which i think makes fairly good sense. Again, please show my ignorance on this topic.

Or, just don’t read my posts. (But it seems like you did not even know about the size differences until i pointed it out....)

HINT: is someone holding a gun to your head to make you enter this thread?
Old 02-15-19, 10:04 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I should have clarified running a different size spare tire is not a good thing for an extended period.

perhaps damage issues only occur to viscous coupling setups in other automakers though?
Well, after reading some, you may be right.

This article: https://www.tirebusiness.com/article...l-wheel-drives

Again, this is on an older vehicle. But yeah, mis-match tires (even SAME diameter initially but worn at different rate) can screw things up with the powertrain!!

TireRack also said similar: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=18

Both articles deal with the MECHANICAL problems. They did not even talk about the VSC/ATRAC and other electronic nannies that are on modern trucks!

But hey, i am just spreading fear for no damn good reason!
Old 02-15-19, 10:38 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

See Post #30 in this thread.
Sorry donuts are all undersized. You can barely fit a cheeseburger on them.
Old 02-15-19, 11:08 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by situman
Sorry donuts are all undersized. You can barely fit a cheeseburger on them.
Skinny, yes. Very similar overall diameter. Above pic the Acura RLX standard tires and it’s spare.

Plug in the numbers: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r19-155-70r17

Notice that the spare 1 inch smaller.......but look at the PSI. Basically, spare is within same size as stock if you take into account its size and PSI. And this is why you cannot drive fast nor for long distance on the spare.

So, i guess that you can use the smaller tire on the GX..........but get ready to pump the crap out of the spare to get it bigger! 5-psi is NOT gonna do it!
Old 02-15-19, 12:20 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Skinny, yes. Very similar overall diameter. Above pic the Acura RLX standard tires and it’s spare.

Notice that the spare 1 inch smaller.......but look at the PSI. Basically, spare is within same size as stock if you take into account its size and PSI. And this is why you cannot drive fast nor for long distance on the spare.

So, i guess that you can use the smaller tire on the GX..........but get ready to pump the crap out of the spare to get it bigger! 5-psi is NOT gonna do it!
So...donuts are undersized.
Old 02-15-19, 12:24 PM
Madtiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by situman
So...donuts are undersized.
LOL. Enough to fit a cheeseburger on them. I like your humor when you’re wrong.
Old 02-15-19, 06:47 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Only the radius (distance from the axle center to road surface) needs to be the same for the 'effective' circumference (distance traveled in one rotation) to be the same. So no ... you do not have to "pump the crap" out of the 265-60 tire while "deflating the crap" out of the 265-65 tire for their effective circumferences to be close enough to the same. So no ... you are not compensating for the 1-inch difference in diameter, you are compensating for the 1/2-inch difference in radius to the road surface. This does not have to be exactly the same for those who are a reasonably close distance to getting the tire repaired ... so airing-up the 265-60 side while airing-down the 265-65 will get the effective circumferences close enough for government work. Going distance or traveling at high speed ? ... yes, all tires should be the same size.

Last edited by ASE; 02-15-19 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 07:09 PM
Madtiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by ASE
Only the radius (distance from the axle center to road surface) needs to be the same for the 'effective' circumference (distance traveled in one rotation) to be the same. So no ... you do not have to "pump the crap" out of the 265-60 tire while "deflating the crap" out of the 265-65 tire for their effective circumferences to be close enough to the same. So no ... you are not compensating for the 1-inch difference in diameter, you are compensating for the 1/2-inch difference in radius to the road surface. This does not have to be exactly the same for those who are a reasonably close distance to getting the tire repaired ... so airing-up the 265-60 side while airing-down the 265-65 will get the effective circumferences close enough for government work. Going distance or traveling at high speed ? ... yes, all tires should be the same size.
Hope it works out for you. I always play it safe when it comes to safety and convenience.

YMMV

Last edited by Madtiger; 02-16-19 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-16-19, 06:46 AM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

OP asks question. Many respond. OP argues and challenges those responses. My last recommendation: Stay with stock tire size. Glad you are in the group. Hope to see you out on the road. I'm done following this one.
The following users liked this post:
ballistice (02-25-22)
Old 02-16-19, 07:33 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Airpirate
OP asks question. Many respond. OP argues and challenges those responses. My last recommendation: Stay with stock tire size. Glad you are in the group. Hope to see you out on the road. I'm done following this one.
... but we have not yet endlessly argued the dangers of running heavy E-Load tires !#! I have E-Load tires on my FJ Cruiser, my last GX470 ... and have had them on many 4-Runner's in the past, with this rating being my preference. The stiffer sidewall improves handling and steering response while providing better road feedback without compromising the ride to any meaningful level. The extra weight is close enough to a rounding error for this platform, assuming the shocks are in good shape. The only challenge is making sure the tire store properly inflate the E-Load at the SAE higher pressure recommendation given the (lower) OEM pressures are not adequate. BTW your KO's look awesome ... great tire.

Last edited by ASE; 02-16-19 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-16-19, 08:07 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
... but we have not yet endlessly argued the dangers of running heavy E-Load tires !#! I have E-Load tires on my FJ Cruiser, my last GX470 ... and have had them on many 4-Runner's in the past, with this rating being my preference. The stiffer sidewall improves handling and steering response while providing better road feedback without compromising the ride to any meaningful level. The extra weight is close enough to a rounding error for this platform, assuming the shocks are in good shape. The only challenge is making sure the tire store properly inflate the E-Load at the SAE higher pressure recommendation given the (lower) OEM pressures are not adequate. BTW your KO's look awesome ... great tire.
Wrong thread?
Old 02-16-19, 12:44 PM
Madtiger
Rookie

BTW, just FYI, my GX with Lexus hitch....is already touching my spare! So, it looks like i will be stuck with stock tire size.

Despite a few animosity among some of you, i do appreciate the input.
The following users liked this post:
ballistice (07-17-22)
Old 02-17-19, 10:18 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

If you’re fixate on getting 265/65 and a spare, get a used one at used shop, deflate it to 5psi and jam it in. Get a Viair P88 pump (which you should always carry on trips) and pump it up when needed.

On my old Pathfinder, I switched to 31” tires and had a 1/2 worn deflated spare on the bottle for years.

Unless you also rotate your spare, then get a hitch spare carrier and only mount it for trips.
Old 02-17-19, 10:59 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
If you’re fixate on getting 265/65 and a spare, get a used one at used shop, deflate it to 5psi and jam it in. Get a Viair P88 pump (which you should always carry on trips) and pump it up when needed.

On my old Pathfinder, I switched to 31” tires and had a 1/2 worn deflated spare on the bottle for years.

Unless you also rotate your spare, then get a hitch spare carrier and only mount it for trips.
Good idea!! Thanks.

Quick Reply: 265/65/18 tires