GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

265/65/18 tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 12:38 PM
2012GX460
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask and you shall receive, thanks for the information!
Old 02-14-19, 11:43 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 982 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by Madtiger

Your rims are the same but your tire diameter changed.

265/60/18 = 30.5”

265/65/18 = 31.5”

See: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r18-265-65r18

VSC, ATRAC, and CRAWL works by comparing wheel speed differences among the wheels. So, if one wheel is smaller (spare tire for instance) than the other 3, then that creates speed differences with the smaller tire spinning faster than the others. VSC/ATRAC/CRAWL programming will think that the smaller faster spinning tire is “slipping” and will use brakes to slow down that “slipping” wheel. In the case of VSC/ATRAC, this can create instability on the highway as one tire is being braked for no reason. At low speeds, it is probably OK with VSC and ATRAC. But higher speeds (highway), it may become an issue.

With CRAWL, even at low speeds, it may affect. CRAWL is a super aggressive traction control that basically stops any spinning tire to push torque as fast as possible to the tire with traction...to create as close to an axle locker effect as possible. Because it is so sensitive to speed differences b/w the tires, this can create a situation where one tire will be braked and torque being sent to the other wheel (on same axle) unexpectedly, which then leads to your vehicle being forced to one side (like off a cliff! LOL).

Remember, rim size does NOT mean tire size.

As for donuts...all donuts have the SAME diameter as the OEM tires. It is just skinny. But diameter is same on all modern vehicles with stability and traction control. Tire width is NOT an issue with these electronic nannies. It is the DIAMETER of the whole tire that is important.
Good information ... but how sensitive are these interventions with 1/2" difference in rolling radius ? ... and if this difference is "adjusted" by going (as an example) 5-psi down on the 265-65 and 5-psi up on the 265-60 tire(s) ? ... again, just to "get home" and not for distance ?
Old 02-14-19, 11:52 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Good information ... but how sensitive are these interventions with 1/2" difference in rolling radius ? ... and if this difference is "adjusted" by going (as an example) 5-psi down on the 265-65 and 5-psi up on the 265-60 tire(s) ? ... again, just to "get home" and not for distance ?
My question back to you is.......why risk it? Why guess it? Are you sure 5-psi is all you need?

What if you cannot go to tire shop that same day? What if you have to drive a long way back that night? What if you want to continue on your trip instead of killing off your vacation?

Just buy a cheap *** spare in the same size as your other tires and put it down there. Of course, this does require that the size that you pick fit under your GX in the spare compartment, which is why i ask this question at the beginning.

I am 90% sure that i will go with 265/65/18 but i will only go to this size IF the spare tire compartment allows it.

Last edited by Madtiger; 02-14-19 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-14-19, 12:22 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 982 Likes on 663 Posts

My question back to you is.......why risk it? Why guess it? Are you sure 5-psi is all you need?

What if you cannot go to tire shop that same day? What if you have to drive a long way back that night? What if you want to continue on your trip instead of killing off your vacation?

Just buy a cheap *** spare in the same size as your other tires and put it down there. Of course, this does require that the size that you pick fit under your GX in the spare compartment, which is why i ask this question at the beginning.

I am 90% sure that i will go with 265/65/18 but i will only go to this size IF the spare tire compartment allows it.
My operative point is "to get home" ... if you are otherwise motivated, I agree with your argument. The 265/60 spare is TIGHT ... so 265-65 is probably a no-go in my opinion, but have not tired. I do know that my GX470 would not take a 265/70-17 in the spare location.
The following users liked this post:
Madtiger (02-14-19)
Old 02-14-19, 12:26 PM
Madtiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by ASE
My operative point is "to get home" ... if you are otherwise motivated, I agree with your argument. The 265/60 spare is TIGHT ... so 265-65 is probably a no-go in my opinion, but have not tired. I do know that my GX470 would not take a 265/70-17 in the spare location.
Ah ok...damn, i have to stick with stock size then.
Old 02-14-19, 10:18 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Ah ok...damn, i have to stick with stock size then.
Madriger, do you have a trailer hitch? If so, which one?

when I installed the curt (with stock size tire) it took about an inch of usable spare tire size. There is still some room left for a slightly bigger tire (1” max!!).

if you don’t have a hitch you can probably upgrade the size with no issue.

This is may not be relevant, however, on my 100 series land cruiser I went from the stock 275/70R16 to a 275/65R18 (which is a full inch taller) with no issues. I think it’s worth a try on the GX.
Old 02-15-19, 02:51 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by caesosa

Madriger, do you have a trailer hitch? If so, which one?

when I installed the curt (with stock size tire) it took about an inch of usable spare tire size. There is still some room left for a slightly bigger tire (1” max!!).

if you don’t have a hitch you can probably upgrade the size with no issue.

This is may not be relevant, however, on my 100 series land cruiser I went from the stock 275/70R16 to a 275/65R18 (which is a full inch taller) with no issues. I think it’s worth a try on the GX.
I have the Lexus hitch.
Old 02-15-19, 03:39 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Probably not an issue with sizes listed here but I think differing tire size issues are more related to potential damage to torsen CD. This seems to be an issue with many if not all full time mechanical AWD systems. Remember TPMS monitors spare as well
Old 02-15-19, 05:23 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Probably not an issue with sizes listed here but I think differing tire size issues are more related to potential damage to torsen CD. This seems to be an issue with many if not all full time mechanical AWD systems. Remember TPMS monitors spare as well
Torsen center diff allows speed differences between front and rear axle; thus you can make turns around a corner......except when it’s locked. So minor speed differences should not do any damage to Torsen center diff (unless locked). For me, the main concern is how VSC/ATRAC/CRAWL reacts to speed differences between wheels on the SAME axle.
Old 02-15-19, 06:21 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I should have clarified running a different size spare tire is not a good thing for an extended period.

perhaps damage issues only occur to viscous coupling setups in other automakers though?

Last edited by Acrad; 02-15-19 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-15-19, 06:31 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I should have clarified running a different size spare tire is not a good thing for an extended period.

perhaps damage issues only occur to viscous coupling setups in other automakers though?
I could be wrong...but Torsen center diff are gear-based...so, wear and tear is not an issue. Those other AWD systems (viscous coupling) are usually clutch-based...and yeah, i can see those clutches wearing out faster if you have different sized tires for long periods of time...running with a spare for a few days should be OK though.
Old 02-15-19, 07:07 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I could be wrong...but Torsen center diff are gear-based...so, wear and tear is not an issue. Those other AWD systems (viscous coupling) are usually clutch-based...and yeah, i can see those clutches wearing out faster if you have different sized tires for long periods of time...running with a spare for a few days should be OK though.
One has to wonder how all those cars with donuts as spares work out.
Old 02-15-19, 08:03 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by situman
One has to wonder how all those cars with donuts as spares work out.
See Post #30 in this thread.
Old 02-15-19, 08:11 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I think the manufacturers built in some tolerance to compensate for minor variances. Similar to when the tires are worn out and you put in a brandnew spare.
Craigyyy (06-17-19)
Old 02-15-19, 08:17 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I think the manufacturers built in some tolerance to compensate for minor variances. Similar to when the tires are worn out and you put in a brandnew spare.
Maybe. But i don’t like to leave it up to chance or maybes. For a vehicle this expensive, do i really want to play with guesses? Like 5 psi guess? I don’t. YMMV.
awillsd76 (06-25-19)

Quick Reply: 265/65/18 tires