should i buy new or pre owned - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

should i buy new or pre owned

 
Old 02-12-19, 08:49 AM
  #16  
jkutti2000
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: tx
Posts: 184
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GoHuskers View Post
If you want to raise and lower the rear suspension you MUST get the luxury grade. But for offloading it is best to get non-air suspension since it's easier to modify the suspension.

THANK YOU SIR... then It is LUXURY..model which i have to buy !
jkutti2000 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 08:55 AM
  #17  
jkutti2000
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: tx
Posts: 184
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

sorry for asking a dumb question.. is there a any NEW 2018 GXs still at any dealership in USA? which i can lowball and get me 20%. offf MSRP??
jkutti2000 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 08:56 AM
  #18  
bbqsoup
Lexus Test Driver
 
bbqsoup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,015
Thanked 213 Times in 179 Posts
Default


But it wonít be easy to lift. Plus the airbags only work for the rear and under 15mph. Itís more for loading and unloading than for offroading.
Also yes, you can add mts and crawl to all trims.
Originally Posted by jkutti2000 View Post
THANK YOU SIR... then It is LUXURY..model which i have to buy !
bbqsoup is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to bbqsoup For This Useful Post:
GX763 (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 09:15 AM
  #19  
GX763
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MN
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jkutti2000 View Post
your case is CLEAR CUT. i wud take the pre owned car.
yeah.. so here is where it gets dilemmatic.

but if u r in this situation where u see a 2 to 2.5 year old car with 20 k for 45 K

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0046/overview/

and u can get the new one for 55-56K- assuming i can wrangle a 15-20% off MSRP.. then ?

might as well take a Brand NEW One ! which you will drive and maintain pristinely !.
This is a tough situation. Brand new 2018 GX Luxury cheapest is $61k on cars.com link below. If your looking for a luxury model with low miles, example is a 2016 luxury for $30k with 50k miles. Your saving over $30k to buy used! Yes you may have to travel but the savings is worth it in my books. Most of the depreciation happens in the first 3-4 years from my research on the GX 2014+. Just my opinion.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1862/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9444/overview/
GX763 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to GX763 For This Useful Post:
jkutti2000 (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 09:20 AM
  #20  
GX763
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MN
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Bad example since the used is not a luxury. This one is a 2014 Luxury for $33k with 65k miles. No accidents, all Lexus maintanence.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3982/overview/
GX763 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 09:45 AM
  #21  
Madtiger
Rookie
 
Madtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: CO
Posts: 72
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I got a 2019 GX Luxury (white/sepia) + Driver Support package + hitch/door edge/all-season liner + cargo all-season mat = $65,500 out the door (TTL included).
Madtiger is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Madtiger For This Useful Post:
jkutti2000 (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 09:59 AM
  #22  
jkutti2000
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: tx
Posts: 184
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GoHuskers View Post
If you want to raise and lower the rear suspension you MUST get the luxury grade. But for offloading it is best to get non-air suspension since it's easier to modify the suspension.
Originally Posted by bbqsoup View Post

But it wonít be easy to lift. Plus the airbags only work for the rear and under 15mph. Itís more for loading and unloading than for offroading.
Also yes, you can add mts and crawl to all trims.

thanks for the insightful information. but I should have been more specific..
by offroading i didnt mean the whole 9 yards.. just some mild trails. - crossing 3-6 inches water creek -etc -
which obviosuly my SEDAN cant do.... at some ranches I visit 100 miles from Dallas.
hence i need all the 4X4 bells whistles and raising lowering. whatevr is standard..
its tragic that so many folks have this WONDERFUL GX model but really have never used it in some dirt roads to appreciate the way it easily works.
i took my friends luxury one and LOVED it.. just cuts through wherever u wanna go. 6-8 inch obstacles. NUTHING..!!

Also - I need towing capacity.. like 2-3000 lbs.. and GX is rated 5000 or somethnig in that range

HEY- I hope all LUXURY Models come with TOW PACKAGE.? adding one is a Pain in the A... later...

jkutti2000 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 11:43 AM
  #23  
GX763
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MN
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jkutti2000 View Post
thanks for the insightful information. but I should have been more specific..
by offroading i didnt mean the whole 9 yards.. just some mild trails. - crossing 3-6 inches water creek -etc -
which obviosuly my SEDAN cant do.... at some ranches I visit 100 miles from Dallas.
hence i need all the 4X4 bells whistles and raising lowering. whatevr is standard..
its tragic that so many folks have this WONDERFUL GX model but really have never used it in some dirt roads to appreciate the way it easily works.
i took my friends luxury one and LOVED it.. just cuts through wherever u wanna go. 6-8 inch obstacles. NUTHING..!!

Also - I need towing capacity.. like 2-3000 lbs.. and GX is rated 5000 or somethnig in that range

HEY- I hope all LUXURY Models come with TOW PACKAGE.? adding one is a Pain in the A... later...
MY15 luxury trim didn't come with a tow hitch so that's on my to-do list.
GX763 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 12:49 PM
  #24  
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion
 
Acrad35751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 3,981
Thanked 629 Times in 499 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GX763 View Post
MY15 luxury trim didn't come with a tow hitch so that's on my to-do list.
AFAIK... the factory tow hitch receiver on the 460 has always been a separate accessory and not included as part of any specific trim.




Acrad35751 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 04:43 PM
  #25  
coolsaber
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: In your head
Posts: 2,028
Thanked 35 Times in 32 Posts
Default

2018s are basically all gone, a couple exist, but either the dealership is difficult to work with, are demos, or unlisted on popular sites.

In your situation where you have narrowed it down to a GX, pricing is variable and towing is of utmost importance

You can step into a non-luxury and maybe add helper springs (air bags that are inflated via an aux pump in the coil similar to a prado setup) or even Timbrens that some folks have starting installing (check the main forums of the GX).

Pricing wise if you have access to Manheim vehicles prices + finders fee from a dealer friend, you can forgo the private party/second hand market markup these vehicles have and come out on ahead. For everyone else, your gonna be hard pressed to find a vehicle thats better then when the new vehicles were pushing 20% discounts.

TL : DR

Value Per $
MMR Price + finders fee from your dealer connect >20% New GX >Second Hand GX from private party/regular used car
coolsaber is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to coolsaber For This Useful Post:
jkutti2000 (02-13-19)
Old 02-13-19, 09:25 AM
  #26  
jkutti2000
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: tx
Posts: 184
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by coolsaber View Post
2018s are basically all gone, a couple exist, but either the dealership is difficult to work with, are demos, or unlisted on popular sites.

In your situation where you have narrowed it down to a GX, pricing is variable and towing is of utmost importance

You can step into a non-luxury and maybe add helper springs (air bags that are inflated via an aux pump in the coil similar to a prado setup) or even Timbrens that some folks have starting installing (check the main forums of the GX).

Pricing wise if you have access to Manheim vehicles prices + finders fee from a dealer friend, you can forgo the private party/second hand market markup these vehicles have and come out on ahead. For everyone else, your gonna be hard pressed to find a vehicle thats better then when the new vehicles were pushing 20% discounts.

TL : DR

Value Per $
MMR Price + finders fee from your dealer connect >20% New GX >Second Hand GX from private party/regular used car
THANK YOU SIR for laying down the CASE statement !
.. you must be an analytic algorithm MODELER!.

option1: Manheim. dealer. lemme see..- seems to not respond when i call. if not
option 2 is 15-20% git me NEW if not
option 3: PP seller autotrader.. usual.. pre own. hassle.


jkutti2000 is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 12:47 PM
  #27  
GX763
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MN
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Acrad35751 View Post
AFAIK... the factory tow hitch receiver on the 460 has always been a separate accessory and not included as part of any specific trim.

I tried searching this forum but no luck. Does all GX have transmission coolers or you would have to get the "tow" package ? Thanks
GX763 is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 12:50 PM
  #28  
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion
 
Acrad35751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 3,981
Thanked 629 Times in 499 Posts
Default

Stock cooler is in the radiator... if you want an external air cooler you will have to go 3rd party.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10182310

Lots of quick links here.

https://lexusgxor.com/

"a small unit built into the radiator. Canadian top tier models have a supplemental air cooler mounted on the front driver side of radiator"
Acrad35751 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Acrad35751 For This Useful Post:
GX763 (02-14-19)
Old 02-18-19, 03:03 PM
  #29  
Ratchey
Pole Position
 
Ratchey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lost Wages
Posts: 330
Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jkutti2000 View Post
thanks for the insightful information. but I should have been more specific..
by offroading i didnt mean the whole 9 yards.. just some mild trails. - crossing 3-6 inches water creek -etc -
which obviosuly my SEDAN cant do.... at some ranches I visit 100 miles from Dallas.
hence i need all the 4X4 bells whistles and raising lowering. whatevr is standard..
its tragic that so many folks have this WONDERFUL GX model but really have never used it in some dirt roads to appreciate the way it easily works.
i took my friends luxury one and LOVED it.. just cuts through wherever u wanna go. 6-8 inch obstacles. NUTHING..!!
.
I am still not sure you understand what they are saying. Only the rear of the vehicle will raise and lower, and it is only about an inch each way and it is painfully slow.
I was looking at the luxury edition for the same reason, but the air lift actually decreases your approach angle because you are only raising the rear.
And it you plan on lifting it, you will likely lose that function anyway unless you add a very short spacer.
In other words, it is basically useless for off roading (and will actually make it worse when raised in the rear) unless you are trying to raise the rear bumper a tiny bit coming off a ledge to keep it from scratching. You are better off with a Range Rover or Grand Cherokee if that is a must have feature for you.
Ratchey is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: