GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tablet/Tesla Center Consoles

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-18, 09:34 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Long waited update (a little bit long to read):

I have spend last two days to install and uninstall the unit (twice), at the end, the result is a little bit disappointing, at least for now. I have contact manufacture, and a lengthy conversation with one of their development engineer. At this point, the only option for me is put back everything as before, and waiting for their software updates to fix few principle issues before I will give another try. The positive out this exercises are developed skills for much more quick and smooth removing, disassemble the OEM display and radio/AC control units now

Anyway, jokes aside, I would like to give everyone a summary for what I have experience, opinions and tips for anyone may decided to venture into it later. I will try to cover as much as possible in a logical order. But feel free to ask your specific question and I will try my best to answer it.

1. Physical Appearance of the Unit

While the unit looks pretty good and attractive in photos, but I have some personal reservation about it in real world. There is no problem with quality of the workmanship for the unit in general, fittings are good with slightly color and texture different from OEM plastic finish. My biggest problem is the size. While such large display looks attractive, personally speaking, it is oversized for the entire dash. I guess that's why car manufacturers spend lots of money on interior design at first place. Because of the screen size for this unit, it made all the rest of elements on the dash looks a bit out of places in terms of balance. The bottom of the unit had to extended out so much in order to give the entire unit a reasonable angle of placement for readability and operation debility. So the bottom edge is about one inch above the tray in front of the shift, and half covered sliding tray door. In practical, when in the parking position, the shifter is right in front of the lower part of center screen, made it a bit difficult to reach naturally in center operation for touching the screen. In contrast, if they would made a smaller unit such as 12 inches, and preserve the bottom control stack, such as volume and turning dials, would be perfect. Of course, those are my person preferences.

2. Installation Process

The physical installation process is fairly straight forward. The major involvement is to spend time of remove the radio/AC control unit front panel since the unit will be reused. I have the process document (rather in large size PDF file), and more than happy to share it with anyone if interested. Due to the size limitation, the best way would be PM me with an email address and I can sent as mail attachment. The other requirement is to move all the plastic tension clips from OEM head units to the new one. The provided cable harnesses are plug and play (for the most of part). As I have stated before, the included harnesses actually only support GX with Driver Support Packages. However, for the future production, there will be the set will support OEM backup camera without Driver Support Package. Since I have previously installed after market 360 surround view, this was not any issue for me, I just made a small modification on the cabe harness to serve my purpose. So, for the most of part, I feel the installation and what's provide are pretty good and not much of difficult for most of individuals to handle.

3. Functionalities and User Friendly Aspects

This is where things getting interesting and/or frustrating. The heart of the unit is a generic PX3 processor based Android head unit, which many after market manufacturers use to make their customized unit. Most of you probably have seen many other on the internet with similar user interface with various size and different cars and trucks. So, they share many basic functions. How well they interface with specific cars are entirely depends on how individual manufacturer's ability and knowledge with specific brand of vehicles. For GX, as this is the first attempt by this manufacture, there are some serious short falls as I have noticed immediately after put on the car. Since the entire project was developed in China with Asia specific GX, the custom software has some limitations. While the unit did good job on interfacing with CAN Bus information for status and control, but some key value of interpretation are way off the mark. For one example, in A/C operation, the F and C conversion are not correct. It seems went through the double conversion by Android OS and custom software, a typical software logical problem that has not been tested and look into. Again, the entire development was based on car with Asian spec. It goes to the same issue with on-board computer display for gas consumption, navigation data and route calculation. Basically, if you set for imperil unit measure, everything just went crazy. Although most associated with CAN Bus controlled function seems working fine, such as steering wheel controls, trip-zone automatic climate control includes automatic circulation function, but there are just not as fine and detailed as OEM. For example, the A/C fan speed, if OEM, it raise or lower in much more fine tuned, almost in a continue adjustable steps. But with Android unit, the fan speed are controlled in an old fashion way of four steps. For the radio, you will lose the XM and HD function as none of such exists outside NA market. It does compatible with ML amplifier, but there is no ASL function either. As for the overall user interface, I found it is pretty much emphasized on entertainment value which is a huge selling point in Asia and Middle East markets. For day to day use, you are rally need to treat it as a "computer" or "Tablet", rather than a true vehicle "Center Console". You almost need to go through multiple clicks to get where you needed to be. There are potential, but for most of GX owners/users, I am not sure if that is the way how the vehicle center console should be. Again, those are my personal opinions.

4. Conclusion

I am still willing to invest more time into the unit, just to get some long term aspect if some of those interface short falls will eventually be ignored. But, the current software has some major problems need to be addressed before there is any meaningful trial and tests. The manufacturer is working on the software update to fix some obviously issues and willing to look into other concerns that I have as described above. Until then, I have no choice but put back all the OEM components. For ones who had higher expectation as myself, I have to say sorry, the experiment so far has yield disappoint results, and it is just nor ready for the prime time, at least not for the NA specification GX yet. Hopefully, the newer software and other development may give it a much needed boost in the future life.
The following 7 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (12-24-18), bbqsoup (03-07-19), EXP_Cougar (12-24-18), John00 (12-23-18), tuandino (01-01-19), turbojarhe (01-02-20), Yona (08-06-19) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-23-18, 09:36 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by John00
The youtube vid we saw earlier is used in the rhino radios site pics. I remember because i have a very similar floor liner. This same demo vehicle is also used by different sellers on ali. Maybe all at the same place but different people
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Liis...960308726.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/15-i...959862377.html

hzhao, are any of these guys the ones you work with? Or is there a way to coordinate our orders for good pricing, and for me more importantly to have an 'in' to the development team?
Most ones listed on Aliexpress are resellers. I have been communicating with the manufacturer directly.
Old 12-23-18, 09:38 PM
hzhao
Racer

Can a camera input be used for a dashcam with these? either a bluetooth cam or something hardwired, either usb or video in? There's android apps already and it would be great to be able to only add a small cam instead of an entire dashcam unit.
There is a dedicated "DVR" input specifically for dash cam.
Old 12-23-18, 09:39 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by jojotheduc
The Rhino Radio version mentions an available CarPlay module, which I would absolutely love to have. I don't recall the original version posted claiming that feature, could be wrong.
There is no "CarPlay" function for this unit.
Old 12-23-18, 09:39 PM
John00
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 277 Posts

My post was a minute too soon. This is why I value the direct communication, ive had similar experiences in the past. Is there a plan for them to address the issues and send another test unit?
Old 12-23-18, 09:41 PM
hzhao
Racer

My post was a minute too soon. This is why I value the direct communication, ive had similar experiences in the past. Is there a plan for them to address the issues and send another test unit?
That would be the same unit. They are working on a new build of software and will send to me when it's ready for test.
The following users liked this post:
Clay (01-23-19)
Old 12-23-18, 09:43 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by hzhao
That would be the same unit. They are working on a new build of software and will send to me when it's ready for test.
Ah, even quicker development cycle. And I agree on the size and the buttons in park. Maybe in park the screen should have inputs somewhere else? either way, im sure im not the only one hoping for the best as this looks very nice and includes many features that actually make this cost less than modding in the features one by one.
Old 12-24-18, 06:13 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,572 Likes on 2,338 Posts

hzhao sent me the install manual so I will post here. Thanks again!

Download Install Manual

It is a little over 55 megs

Here are pictures broken out of PDF into individual JPG files.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gu9bueTWyoUHPsETA

Last edited by Acrad; 12-24-18 at 06:50 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Acrad:
bbqsoup (03-07-19), hzhao (12-24-18), John00 (12-24-18), ltsr (10-09-19)
Old 12-24-18, 05:01 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

+1 good review.. As speculated earlier the hardware isnt bleeding edge so I understand how its going to function. Its promising though, first signs of any aftermarket infotainment support period that is interesting. Hopefully they can improve from here, but I dont know how they may design the system to cater to the NA market. We really care about OE integration and infotainment rather then watching live tv and movies etc (the number of Fast 5 scenes in their videos sheesh)
Old 12-27-18, 01:52 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,572 Likes on 2,338 Posts

hzhao: Do you remember if these less used controls for the windshield wiper deicers, ability to control temp of 3rd zone from front and micro dust/pollen filter mode were still present? I use the windshield wiper deicers quite a bit during the winter.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-18, 01:59 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
hzhao: Do you remember if these less used controls for the windshield wiper deicers, ability to control temp of 3rd zone from front and micro dust/pollen filter mode were still present? I use the windshield wiper deicers quite a bit during the winter.

Thanks!
There is control for the third zone temp etc. But I didn't recall to see any control for wipe de-ice and pollen filter. I did go to any further as there is an entire extended of sub menu for car settings (all CAN BUS values), there might be something in there to represent those functions. Good question.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (12-27-18)
Old 01-01-19, 04:21 AM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don’t understand why the manufacturer designed an unit to replace the entire Lexus AC/Navigation/media console. Majority of Android big screen replacements sold in China went for a different approach. It replace OEM’s screen with an aftermarket one, usually bigger in size and resolution. Inside it has CPU, memory and storage just like this one. However, it doesn’t replace OEM control unit but piggyback it instead. So you can switch between OEM and Android on the go. Think of it having dual system sharing one screen.

What we really need is a screen that is physical the same size as OEM but higher in resolution and color depth. It has Android build in but also allow OEM to share the display. We get to keep all the physical **** and buttons and problem solved

Last edited by psun786; 01-01-19 at 04:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by psun786:
Chasin (08-15-19), DBLex1 (08-21-19)
Old 01-23-19, 04:42 PM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I hate to say it, but the center console shown with the screen in there looks photo-shopped.
I'd like to maybe see a video of it working at different angles and various modes.
Old 01-24-19, 07:02 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by r2m
I hate to say it, but the center console shown with the screen in there looks photo-shopped.
I'd like to maybe see a video of it working at different angles and various modes.
is there a certain pic you are referring to?
Old 02-28-19, 06:53 PM
John00
Racer

Any news on this?

Quick Reply: Tablet/Tesla Center Consoles