GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tablet/Tesla Center Consoles

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 02:09 PM
John00
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 278 Posts

Will the Google Maps allow for downloading of maps for offline use like regular Google Maps?
Old 11-21-18, 02:25 PM
Rrotz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
via connected phone, or any portable MiFI or hot spot devices
Thanks Hzhao for your correspondence with the company. What are their plans for mass production and technical support? Do they have any units already in mass production?

Will they increase the RAM and storage space? The lack of processing power can hamper the most basic functions, can they address the issue of speed and latency? Next time you talk with them can you request more processing power before they begin production, by then it will be irrelevant with only 2gb RAM.

Last edited by Rrotz; 11-21-18 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 02:57 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 979 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
Will the Google Maps allow for downloading of maps for offline use like regular Google Maps?
Yes. You can always download off-line maps. Google play is also included. You can also utilize other third party nav apps should you choose to do so.
The following users liked this post:
John00 (11-21-18)
Old 11-21-18, 03:06 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,347 Posts

All you '14+ owners get all the fun... or perhaps work out the bugs first for the '10-'13 owners as hzhao mentioned '10-'13 won't come out until later.

Still need to sell the wife on this one... she is an IT geek too but for some reason still wants her physical HVAC buttons that currently exist. My issues seem to be beyond the technical with this mod. :-)
Old 11-21-18, 03:07 PM
John00
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 278 Posts

If Google Play, bluetooth and 3rd party apps are able to be used, then this is good news. There is potential to use the tablet to run an app that controls switches via bluetooth, could be able to have a pile of things controllable by the tablet.

Acrad (11-21-18)
Old 11-21-18, 03:14 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Rrotz
Thanks Hzhao for your correspondence with the company. What are their plans for mass production and technical support? Do they have any units already in mass production?

Will they increase the RAM and storage space? The lack of processing power can hamper the most basic functions, can they address the issue of speed and latency? Next time you talk with them can you request more processing power before they begin production, by then it will be irrelevant with only 2gb RAM.
Company has been in mess production for number of cars/suvs, primary in Toyota line. For GX is their new addition, but it is largely based from LC Prado. As for the increase storage, 64GB is available for additional costs. As far as for the processor, the company is building the unit on their current platform which has been considered fairly success in the market. Unless there is some significant reasoning to change their current design, it is unlike to change anything at this point. Part of my testing purpose is to offer some feed back, specifically from NA user perspective which has some principle difference to customers needs from Asia and EAU, where are two major market for their products. The reason why we saw most of videos are focused more on entertainment aspect of the system, is because that counts more values in those two markets in term of after market add-ons. I have ordered test unit and will give them the benefit of doubt on their design, with open mind and to see what we can find. To be fair, if system performs no lesser than what we have currently have, should be the baseline for me. At meantime, I will continue discussion with them and express those valid concerns for them to keep in mind as we moving forward.
Old 11-21-18, 03:16 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
All you '14+ owners get all the fun... or perhaps work out the bugs first for the '10-'13 owners as hzhao mentioned '10-'13 won't come out until later.

Still need to sell the wife on this one... she is an IT geek too but for some reason still wants her physical HVAC buttons that currently exist. My issues seem to be beyond the technical with this mod. :-)
From my last conversation with them, the unit for 10-13 model years GX should be available by Jan. 19.
Old 11-21-18, 03:17 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
You can always add some fake buttons and dials
Acrad (11-22-18)
Old 11-24-18, 12:14 AM
konc3pt
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

this thing is killer! will be getting one
Old 11-25-18, 12:00 PM
DBLex1
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed. I’m curious to see how the testing turns out. I may pick one up after my warranty expires.
Old 11-28-18, 05:17 AM
hzhao
Racer

The test units are almost ready for shipping. Going through last round of QC process now....... Supplier informed me it should be out factory via DHL before this weekend. If all goes as planned, should be on my hand by next weekend.

The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (11-28-18), John00 (11-28-18)
Old 11-28-18, 09:39 AM
konc3pt
Driver

pumped!, seen first gen units sell out like hot cakes during black friday/cyber monday deal....one thing I notice bezel finish appears glossy? as opposed being flat....would be great if there was SD slot on the side!
Old 11-28-18, 01:22 PM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by konc3pt
pumped!, seen first gen units sell out like hot cakes during black friday/cyber monday deal....one thing I notice bezel finish appears glossy? as opposed being flat....would be great if there was SD slot on the side!
The bezel probably has a protective film attached which is why appear glossy in the picture. If I remember correctly, the unit should utilize OEM USB connection. You can probably just connect a SD slot that way. Or you can also setup a wireless drive via hot spot.
Old 11-28-18, 02:03 PM
konc3pt
Driver

Originally Posted by psun786
The bezel probably has a protective film attached which is why appear glossy in the picture. If I remember correctly, the unit should utilize OEM USB connection. You can probably just connect a SD slot that way. Or you can also setup a wireless drive via hot spot.
that makes sense and OMG, you don't say!!! I've got one of those wireless drives sitting around unused..there is no info whether this system will output to rear seat screens is there ?
Old 11-28-18, 03:03 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by konc3pt
..there is no info whether this system will output to rear seat screens is there ?
No official support information for Rear Entertainment System. As we gaining more knowledge of the system, It is certainly possible to do.

Quick Reply: Tablet/Tesla Center Consoles