GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Driver Support Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 09:32 PM
jonnyt50
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy B
DIdn't know you could add the MTS module. Do you have a how to and where to obtain?

Randy B
Wait. Are you saying I can get MTS for about $200 part? (plus find someone to install)?
Old 04-10-18, 09:55 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyt50
Wait. Are you saying I can get MTS for about $200 part? (plus find someone to install)?
Yes. Just need to get proper Drive Support Switch ECU, which is located behind glove box. Replace it! Plug and Play.
Old 04-15-18, 12:59 AM
trip7capt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need help! I ordered this unit. The install seemed pretty simple. I plugged in all the connectors I could with the supplied harness. The radio seems to be all that works. The upper original clock and temperature is blank. The AC controls don't work. I reinstalled the original unit and now the display says "check the AC connection" any ideas? the unit is really nice but with no instructions it's kinda a can of worms.
The following users liked this post:
faydin (03-25-23)
Old 04-15-18, 05:29 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by trip7capt
I need help! I ordered this unit. The install seemed pretty simple. I plugged in all the connectors I could with the supplied harness. The radio seems to be all that works. The upper original clock and temperature is blank. The AC controls don't work. I reinstalled the original unit and now the display says "check the AC connection" any ideas? the unit is really nice but with no instructions it's kinda a can of worms.
What unit that you are talking about? If you can be more specific..... There is a tread here specifically talking about adding MTS and Crawl control and many of us have done so with successful results. But nothing has to do with radio and A/C control unit.
Old 04-15-18, 12:30 PM
JiJiJag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Hear me out..... I was searching online and might have found something interesting. If someone can read Russian, your help would be greatly appreciated. Google translate can only do so much.

There is a Russian Club Lexus forum. It doesn't look like there is much activity but has something of interest. It looks like someone there added features of the driver support package onto his vehicle. The main post was about parking sensors, but I think the individual Dmitry_N may have added the front and side view cameras along with getting crawl control/ multi terrain to work. They mention a Driving support switch control (located above the glovebox) on page 3 of the forum thread. The part number when googled shows as a $200 item here in the US.

Link is below.
Page 1 has a bunch of part numbers for the modifcation
Page 3 and 4 have information that may indicate that he added the Driver support options.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53823

There is another thread advertising a service with the installation of extra cameras and getting parking sensors to work. The OEM cameras are expensive (around $7-800), but aftermarket cameras on aliexpress or taobao are drastically cheaper.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42398

This thread has part numbers for the GX and the 150 Prado.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72929

If (and this is a big if), the driving support switch module is added, does this mean we can have an a la carte choice of adding some additional features?

Note:
Those forum posts are dated around 2010-2012. I think they should apply to all years of the current generation though.

Quick Reference:
Driver support includes the following
Wide-view Front and Side Monitor system,
High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control,
Lane Departure Alert,
Crawl Control
Intelligent High beams
and... the moving lines on the backup camera???
Also the Mark Levinson is part of the DS option
Old 04-15-18, 01:11 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by JiJiJag

Also the Mark Levinson is part of the DS option
No. It's not correct. Driver Support requires Luxury trim (for 2014+), and ML is part of Luxury trim. Driver Support package for US consists of: Crawl Control, Radar cruise with PCS and Driver Monitoring, LDA, Auto high beam, Park Assist Guideline (Dynamic moving guideline on reverse camera), Front wide view and right side view cameras.
Old 04-16-18, 04:49 PM
JiJiJag
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2016 Luxury and the ML was not included automatically. However, it is a part of the Driver comfort package.

http://www.lexus.com/documents/brochures/2016/Lexus-GX-Brochure.pdf
Old 04-16-18, 04:51 PM
JiJiJag
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2016 Luxury and the ML was not included automatically. However, it is a part of the Driver comfort package.

http://www.lexus.com/documents/brochures/2016/Lexus-GX-Brochure.pdf
bbqsoup (04-16-18)
Old 05-22-18, 10:19 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Driver Support Package

Hi All,

Quick question: If you could do it over again, would you hold out for a GX 460 with the Driver Support Package?

I might sell my 2005 Sequoia Limited to my son and purchase a GX 460 for me The Sequoia has been awesome and still runs like a champ at ~250,000 miles. Hard to beat that 2UZ-FE under the hood...

For the past few weeks, I've been searching the web for a 2014 or 2015 on the West Coast. I've narrowed my search to the Luxury models with Sepia interior and light-colored exterior (preferably silver), which reduces the available inventory considerably

After reading all the great comments about the CRAWL feature, dynamic radar and monitor system, I've been hoping to find one with the Driver Support Package, but they are few and far between.

Based on some great threads here on CL, it looks like I can swap out the console switches to obtain CRAWL, but it appears as if most of the other Driver Support options are unobtainium. Are they worth the extra cost and search delay?

Thanks for your comments.

Steve
Old 05-23-18, 04:07 AM
hzhao
Racer

Whether all the feature that come with the Driver Support Package will have lots to do with personal preferences. Here are some of my personal opinion on them:

Given what we have share and done many great mods and add-ons, and mainly focused on what true capabilities of GX, the rest of Driver Support Package feature does not really worth the dollars for me, not counting it is very far between if you can find one and meet your color preference. Do keep in mind when value those features, a) Radar Cruise and Pre-crash are first generation, which means it is not full speed and do not have traffic following feature. b) Lane departure warning (not keeping as newer version), frankly, I do turn them off on my LX, it just give way too much of warning in most of situations. Long boring road trip may have some value IMHO. c) WIdeview and sideview monitor, for US market, it ONLY offer right side monitor (never could understand the reasoning), is not really designed as bird eye view parking assist, more an off-road assist for clearance purpose. Since US model do not offer MTS, therefore no MT monitoring function either. d) Driver Monitor System, the cameras on top of steering wheel to monitor if driver is looking at front, part of Pre-crash setup, is US spec only device. Haven't heard lot of experiences on that one where it provide particular true value. e) Auto high beam, again, if your driving are mainly in city and urban highway, it offers little or no value anyway.

I would focused on finding a GX with my color preference and condition that I like and reasonably priced. Adding Crawl and MTS has been proven it's easy and cost active. Personally, I have done other additions such as surround view monitor, wireless charging, etc. All in very reasonable costs and relatively straight forward processing with basic skills.

Again, that's my opinion and I am sure there are many others with different views. The bottom line is get what you are happy with.
SteveInCal (05-23-18)
Old 05-23-18, 03:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

+1 on what hzhao said
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
hzhao (05-23-18), SteveInCal (05-23-18)
Old 05-24-18, 05:25 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveInCal
After reading all the great comments about the CRAWL feature, dynamic radar and monitor system, I've been hoping to find one with the Driver Support Package, but they are few and far between.
The last time we bought a vehicle without DRCC and PCS was in 2003. I can't comprehend buying a vehicle without these features regardless of whether they are the latest "all-speed" versions. Heck, our pet sitter was at our house tonight and I saw that her new low-end Toyota Corolla has DRCC, PCS, AHB and LDA with SA as standard equipment. I attempted to explain to her how the features work but she found it overwhelming.

DRCC makes it so restful on trips. PCS saved me from a high speed crash in 2014 when a stopped car pulled in front of me while I was going about 60 mph. These are awesome technologies and worth holding out for even if they aren't the very latest versions.
SteveInCal (05-25-18)
Old 05-24-18, 05:34 PM
regis2
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was shopping for mine, for about a month, there was only one 2010-2013 for sale that had the Driver Support Package. I guess it depends how long you are willing to search before buying... good luck!
Old 05-24-18, 06:15 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Kansas
The last time we bought a vehicle without DRCC and PCS was in 2003. I can't comprehend buying a vehicle without these features regardless of whether they are the latest "all-speed" versions. Heck, our pet sitter was at our house tonight and I saw that her new low-end Toyota Corolla has DRCC, PCS, AHB and LDA with SA as standard equipment. I attempted to explain to her how the features work but she found it overwhelming.

DRCC makes it so restful on trips. PCS saved me from a high speed crash in 2014 when a stopped car pulled in front of me while I was going about 60 mph. These are awesome technologies and worth holding out for even if they aren't the very latest versions.
Technology advancement and development has made those features more affordable from both manufacturing and consumers. No doubt it brings safety benefit to drivers and passengers. "Toyota Safety 2" is a modular based integrated safety feature set, including DRCC, PCS, LKA, BSM, RCTA, simply put, a new version of driver support ECU. If I am not mistaken, NHTSA has also been drafting the new mandate for US requirement for those safety feature in coming years, just like high mount stop lights requirement in middle '90s, TPMS and reverse camera in recent years. I am sure within few years, those will be on every passage vehicles sold in US regardless price and class range.
Old 05-25-18, 05:30 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

All of your opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm willing to search for a while to find exactly what I want, but the process is maddening at times

Why does every car dealer feel obligated to include a list of 100's of features that are present on every GX model? Guess I'm getting old, 'cause I don't have the time or patience to read through page after page of "options". I already know the car has power steering, you don't have to list it in you add!

Drilling down to determine interior color isn't terrible, but many of the adds list the wrong information. But zooming into photos to search for Mark Levinson wording, AVS switching and a Crawl button is quite tedious.

Is there a website that will provide the build sheet if you enter the VIN? That would be awesome!

Quick Reply: Driver Support Package