GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Radar cruise and Pre-crashing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 07:21 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts
Default Radar cruise and Pre-crashing

I am exploring the option of retrofit GX with OEM radar cruise and pre-crashing since they are combined functions from same major components. This is an entirely experimental project. One piece of information that I couldn't get clear answer to was the EXACTLY location of PCS On/Off switch. According the Owner's Manual, it is supposed located some where under the steering wheel where the knee airbag area. With my 2014 GX without driver support package, I would expecting to find a blank for where the switch supposed to be. But I didn't see it at all. So, for anyone who has the driver support package, could you point me the location where the switch should be and post a reference picture? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-31-18, 10:07 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,572 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Here is an old thread on it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ate-found.html
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (03-31-18)
Old 03-31-18, 06:09 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Thanks for point that out. Now I will start to looking for pre-wire and harness if its there
Old 04-01-18, 10:57 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 253 Likes on 200 Posts

An incredible number of components are involved in the GX460 Driver Support Package. The following is from the 2014 GX sales brochure - the numbers point to footnotes:

"DRIVER SUPPORT PACKAGE (Available on GX Luxury only) (Includes Navigation and Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio Packages) + Pre-Collision System14 with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control31 // Driver Attention Monitor15 // Lane Departure Alert16 // Intelligent high-beam headlamps32 // Wide-view Front and Side Monitor system17 // CRAWL Control9"

I did a little checking. The front seat belt assemblies are different. The steering wheel button assembly is different - it's $400 retail. The "COMPUTER ASSY, DRIVING SUPPORT" has a retail price of $923.58. I didn't check the radar unit price but the one on my wife's Prius cost about $2,000 when she barely bumped the spare tire on the back of a Jeep. The body shop had to send the car to the dealership to calibrate the radar unit.

I'd be wary retrofitting a system that can put a vehicle into a full-blown panic stop while tightening the seat belts so tightly that pain can result. PCS is a wonderful system and probably saved me from a high speed crash in another of our vehicles in summer 2014 when a stopped driver pulled in front of me while I was going about 60 mph - gave me just enough time to swerve and avoid a crash by inches. PCS nailed the brakes with full force before I even removed my foot from the gas pedal. My seat beat tightened with incredible force and my chest hurt from the belt until the next day. It's wonderful that technology like this is now standard on all vehicles made by Toyota.

If you want PCS, DRCC, etc., it would be far more cost effective and safe to sell your current GX and buy one that already has it.
StrannikMD (04-30-18)
Old 04-01-18, 04:59 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Kansas
An incredible number of components are involved in the GX460 Driver Support Package. The following is from the 2014 GX sales brochure - the numbers point to footnotes:

"DRIVER SUPPORT PACKAGE (Available on GX Luxury only) (Includes Navigation and Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio Packages) + Pre-Collision System14 with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control31 // Driver Attention Monitor15 // Lane Departure Alert16 // Intelligent high-beam headlamps32 // Wide-view Front and Side Monitor system17 // CRAWL Control9"

I did a little checking. The front seat belt assemblies are different. The steering wheel button assembly is different - it's $400 retail. The "COMPUTER ASSY, DRIVING SUPPORT" has a retail price of $923.58. I didn't check the radar unit price but the one on my wife's Prius cost about $2,000 when she barely bumped the spare tire on the back of a Jeep. The body shop had to send the car to the dealership to calibrate the radar unit.

I'd be wary retrofitting a system that can put a vehicle into a full-blown panic stop while tightening the seat belts so tightly that pain can result. PCS is a wonderful system and probably saved me from a high speed crash in another of our vehicles in summer 2014 when a stopped driver pulled in front of me while I was going about 60 mph - gave me just enough time to swerve and avoid a crash by inches. PCS nailed the brakes with full force before I even removed my foot from the gas pedal. My seat beat tightened with incredible force and my chest hurt from the belt until the next day. It's wonderful that technology like this is now standard on all vehicles made by Toyota.

If you want PCS, DRCC, etc., it would be far more cost effective and safe to sell your current GX and buy one that already has it.
Agreed with you in principle. What we are talking about here is based on few pre-conditions what we have found during project of adding MTS/Crawl functions (see other discussion). Driver Attention Monitor and Driver Attention Monitor ECU are set of independent component, so as LDA, those two options are independent from Radar Cruise and PCS. 2014 GX (so as prior model years), Radar sensor harness is pre-installed, the ABS and Driving Support ECUs are the same ones used in current model based on information I am gathering. The missing pieces are distance control button, PCS break canceling button (which can be eliminated as normally it will be on all the time anyway), the radar sensor. The reason I used word of experimental is to find potential of GX that already given us (again as we find how easy to add MTS and Crawl functions). I have acquired steering wheel with panel, cruise control switch (which can be use the current non-radar switch by eliminating the function of switch radar and standard cruise), and radar sensor (used part). Of course, there are procedures to enable and calibrating involved.

I totally agree with you on the point "if you wanted radar cruise and PCS, should consider the option from manufacture at beginning". I would even add just from liability point of view, even my experiment result of successful outcome, I wouldn't suggest everyone to actually retrofit such active safety feature without manufacture certify it. Again "EXPERIMENT" is the key word here!
Old 04-01-18, 07:33 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 253 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
I totally agree with you on the point "if you wanted radar cruise and PCS, should consider the option from manufacture at beginning". I would even add just from liability point of view, even my experiment result of successful outcome, I wouldn't suggest everyone to actually retrofit such active safety feature without manufacture certify it. Again "EXPERIMENT" is the key word here!
I wish you success. The closest thing I've seen to what you want to do is when someone successfully added Lane Keeping Assist to an early LS600h that already had PCS, DRCC and the forward facing camera simply by changing out the steering wheel switches. IIRC, it was a U.K. version of the LS600h. Even then, he didn't have the in-dash display that showed that LKA was active - that required a different instrument cluster.

Do you have the forward facing camera on the windshield of your GX? If not, it and it's wiring harness may be items to add to your shopping list.
Old 04-01-18, 08:05 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Kansas
I wish you success. The closest thing I've seen to what you want to do is when someone successfully added Lane Keeping Assist to an early LS600h that already had PCS, DRCC and the forward facing camera simply by changing out the steering wheel switches. IIRC, it was a U.K. version of the LS600h. Even then, he didn't have the in-dash display that showed that LKA was active - that required a different instrument cluster.

Do you have the forward facing camera on the windshield of your GX? If not, it and it's wiring harness may be items to add to your shopping list.
No. At this point, I am only adding the radar sensor, steering wheel switch, cruise control switch, and skip the driver attention monitor and LDA all together. Just to test if Radar cruise and PCS functions became alive. Frankly, the radar cruise on GX isn't best on the market, not full range, nor traffic follow capable, I only consider it is some what an half way solution between standard cruise control and true adaptive cruise control.
Old 05-11-18, 10:55 AM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Is there any update on this project? I'd really like to add the radar cruise control to my GX. Would make road trips much more enjoyable. Thanks
Old 05-11-18, 11:54 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by KJ6IRM
Is there any update on this project? I'd really like to add the radar cruise control to my GX. Would make road trips much more enjoyable. Thanks
The radar sensor I got for testing is not working. It turned out there is a "Country Code" specification requirement for the components. As I sourced sensor from China and it won't work with US specified ECU. That's pretty much put this project to the end for now.
Old 05-11-18, 12:24 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

The radar sensor I got for testing is not working. It turned out there is a "Country Code" specification requirement for the components. As I sourced sensor from China and it won't work with US specified ECU. That's pretty much put this project to the end for now.
Ahh.. bummer. I was hoping that this would work. I had my GX in for service (another oil leak, air pump and valves finally went at 99k miles, and air bag recall) and the loaner RX had the radar cruise control. Man it made driving on the freeway in traffic so much more relaxing.
Old 05-11-18, 01:43 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

hzhao put a lot of time and effort into that mod.. I thank him for that research.

Perhaps if someone sources some really cheap domestic sensors from wrecking yard they could get it to work? That will be hard to find though.
hzhao (05-11-18)
Old 05-11-18, 01:59 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

hzhao put a lot of time and effort into that mod.. I thank him for that research.
No doubt! And agree.. thanks for the research!
Perhaps if someone sources some really cheap domestic sensors from wrecking yard they could get it to work? That will be hard to find though.
I've seen them on eBay here and there from salvaged GXs. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Though the one thing I'm a little concerned about with trying this mod is that there is a different ABS unit for the vehicles with DRCC and one with the off-road package (i'm guess Crawl and MTS) and DRCC. I'm just hoping that that part doesn't need replacing as well.

The one hope I have is that it seems our ABS units with with the CC and MTS, so maybe they'll work with the DRCC as well.

---------------------------------------------
47050-60440
Brake Booster Assy, W/Master Cylinder
OFF ROAD PACKAGE&PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM-WITH(*MRT)&BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(MULTI-TELLAIN MONITOR)
OFF ROAD PACKAGE&PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM-WITH(*DMO & *MRT)&BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(MULTI-TELLAIN MONITOR)
Production Date: 08/2011-06/2012

47050-60262
PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM-WITH(*MRT)
PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM-WITH(*MRT)&BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(AROUND MONITOR)
PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM-WITH(*DMO & *MRT)
PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM-WITH(*DMO & *MRT)&BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(AROUND MONITOR)

47050-60272
BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(AROUND MONITOR)

47050-60450
hzhao (05-11-18)
Old 05-11-18, 02:13 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

As we have seen with crawl I don't think the brake booster matters.
Old 05-11-18, 04:05 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by KJ6IRM
Ahh.. bummer. I was hoping that this would work. I had my GX in for service (another oil leak, air pump and valves finally went at 99k miles, and air bag recall) and the loaner RX had the radar cruise control. Man it made driving on the freeway in traffic so much more relaxing.
BTW, the GX radar cruise is still a first generation one and won't be benefit in traffic stop and go situation. It can only be used when speed is over 25 mph (or so), not the full speed one as most of recent Adaptive Cruise Control.
KJ6IRM (05-11-18)
Old 05-11-18, 04:08 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

BTW, the GX radar cruise is still a first generation one and won't be benefit in traffic stop and go situation. It can only be used when speed is over 25 mph (or so), not the full speed one as most of recent Adaptive Cruise Control.
Good to know. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Radar cruise and Pre-crashing