GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Nail in tire, safe to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 08:16 AM
cicio
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
The insurance point is good. But would they just replace ine tire and you still have to pay deductible?
That really depends on how you communicate with your adjuster and what he thinks. If he thinks it's necessary, you may end up getting two or all four tires replaced with just paying deductible. There is no guarantee but I think it's worth a try.

Last edited by cicio; 01-05-18 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 06:27 AM
StrannikMD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shops do not like fixing punctures within 1" of sidewall, because of the flexing when the tire rotates. However, when I was working in the repair shop years ago, we would fix things like that for a few "good customers" or ourselves (we used the proper procedure - take tire off the rim, prep, then glue mushroom like patch from the inside) - and most of the time (but not always), it worked fine.

I think that it's OK to take a chance (unless you are about to roadtrip to Alaska) - if it is going to start loosing air, you can replace the tire then.
Old 01-08-18, 08:15 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by StrannikMD
Shops do not like fixing punctures within 1" of sidewall, because of the flexing when the tire rotates. However, when I was working in the repair shop years ago, we would fix things like that for a few "good customers" or ourselves (we used the proper procedure - take tire off the rim, prep, then glue mushroom like patch from the inside) - and most of the time (but not always), it worked fine.

I think that it's OK to take a chance (unless you are about to roadtrip to Alaska) - if it is going to start loosing air, you can replace the tire then.
I did this for myself a few times, I don't recommend it. It will eventually break the seal with the patch/plug at that location and it will leak. Too much at risk....I'd throw a new tire on it.
Old 01-08-18, 10:29 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I probably will stop by America's Tires to see if they match Costco price for the Defender. I saw the Defender LTX in person and they look nice and a bit more aggressive than I imaging, which is a good thing. The current $70 off and .1 cent installation is pretty good deal.

I looked that the tires and they show some dry rot at the tread as well as on top of the sidewall.

Some dry rot at the tread base.
Old 01-08-18, 10:34 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I personally wouldn't risk driving on it. If anything, throw the spare on and drive on that instead.
Old 01-08-18, 10:40 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
I personally wouldn't risk driving on it. If anything, throw the spare on and drive on that instead.
The spare tire is pretty worn too. I guess the last owner replaced just 2 tires and throw the worst one on the spare ...If I'm replacing these 4, I'm putting the best one on the spare.