GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Auto folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 01:37 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by bd5400
When/how was the group buy organized? I don't check the forum daily but I never came across it. I don't want to miss out on things like this in the future....
Sorry that you have missed it. Unfortunately, the group buy was a short live event due to the rules set by this forum for which I do respect. There was a separate thread on the group buy that has been removed. That is the reason that you and many others didn't see. While forum policy has governed the group buy should be offered by approved vendors, I do believe there are situations individual should be able to provide certain offers on a case by case situation, especially the particular items that is ONLY apply to special interest group, such as this one.Maybe we can suggest such to Forum Administration, certain approval process could be used to deal with such requests. Until then, there is not really a way to "organize" any group buy within the forum.
Old 01-14-18, 06:17 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I wonder if they are concerned about some kind of liability if deal went south?
I don't think so. As any public forum, they have already claimed without any liabilities to anything that has been posted here. It goes the same if someone modify the car follow posted instruction and made the car became a metal brick, forum is not going to take that liability. I think its a more of profit issue. According to the forum rule, in order to be eligible to organize the group sale, you needs to be as an "approved vendor". The way to gain approval, is to purchase advertising spot. So the bottom line is the money issue If I am a parts supplier, I can understand. But for something like this, with very limited interested individuals, there is just no way to justify the advertising costs.
Old 01-15-18, 07:50 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

That sounds about right on the advertising angle... :-(

On another note...on the flashing

I notice on Alibaba... of course you are often talking some major bulk purchases but this is notated on some of the modules offered up for sale.

==============================

The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (01-15-18)
Old 01-17-18, 07:06 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I take it you have to have folding mirrors FIRST. My 2011 is lacking
Old 01-17-18, 09:05 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by GB2011GX
I take it you have to have folding mirrors FIRST. My 2011 is lacking
Correct. The base GX does not have the power folding mirror. You will need to have the "power folding" option before you can have the "auto folding".
Old 01-17-18, 10:20 AM
kvguy81
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hzhao
You are welcome! I did order one extra preparing just in case..... at last minute, one member on the forum had asked me if its too late to get one. I gave him the last one. I am OK without flashing when doors are opened
That is me. Thank you so much, I really love it.
Old 01-17-18, 01:25 PM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Well Dad-gummit!
Old 01-21-18, 10:07 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

Do you know what this OBD unit is missing??

A tap to turn feature where you lightly tap the turn signal and it’ll blink 3 or 5 times for a lane change.

Some newer Lexus vehicles have this feature. The Germans had this for a decade or more now. There is a company online that specializes in this, but they do not have anything for the GX.

If this unit is able to tap into the turn signal/hazards when the door is open, maybe there is a way to make this function a reality. Of course it’ll have to be a version 2 of this product since it won’t be user updatable.
Old 01-22-18, 07:00 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Hmmmm, makes me wonder if I can get folding mirrors for my Base model 2011 GX 460...

"Hello? Local Junk yard... you got any Lexus 460s with folding mirrors on the lot...?"
Old 01-22-18, 08:45 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

That would be a nice option. I have that on another vehicle. Perhaps future versions could be have a dip switch bank on them to enable/disable additional functionality as well.

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Do you know what this OBD unit is missing??

A tap to turn feature where you lightly tap the turn signal and it’ll blink 3 or 5 times for a lane change.

Some newer Lexus vehicles have this feature. The Germans had this for a decade or more now. There is a company online that specializes in this, but they do not have anything for the GX.

If this unit is able to tap into the turn signal/hazards when the door is open, maybe there is a way to make this function a reality. Of course it’ll have to be a version 2 of this product since it won’t be user updatable.
Old 01-22-18, 09:29 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

The Camry has option to change the quick flash from 3,5 or 7 flashes.

There’s some aftermarket flasher relay that does it but it doesn’t fit the GX
Old 01-22-18, 09:34 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I saw some discussion about a module that worked with the FJ but not the 4Runner.

http://www.autowindow.com/

Last edited by Acrad; 01-22-18 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-23-18, 12:44 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I saw some discussion about a module that worked with the FJ but not the 4Runner.

http://www.autowindow.com/
Maybe there's some technical difficulty about the GX relay? SmartTap lists that their is compatible with the GX but some guy tried it and it did fit.

Btw, I installed the ODB and the folding mirror works as advertised. The flashing hazard is ok during the day but attracts attention at night for sure. My friend talked to the seller regarding the "option" to turn it off and they mentioned that some model doesn't support it by default, hence the "option" so I believe the GX400 may not have this supported. I'm tempted to get the module for the GX400 and test it out, if it doesn't have the flashes, then great, otherwise I can send back to return LOL...but it won't be until early March
Old 01-23-18, 02:21 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I'm gonna try this one out I ordered. I am sure I can find a Land Cruiser owner who will buy it if nothing else. They claimed they are going to send me one that doesn't flash lights.

Of course grid says it doesn't fold mirrors on a Prado...

I think on the Prado videos I've seen the entire switch was replaced so GX may be different animal.

-----------------------------------------

this could end up being a big fail too but willing to experiment. :-)

Last edited by Acrad; 12-07-18 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-25-18, 03:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Definitely ....I will

Originally Posted by ELEX470
please report back your findings!

Quick Reply: Auto folding mirrors