GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Switch from GX to RX???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 04:22 PM
kt543
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch from GX to RX???

Hey all. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about switching from a GX to and RX? I currently have a 2015 GX and had an RX before that. I like the GX, but wished it had more technology like the RX (ex heads up display, all the safety tech). The downside is that the RX is a smaller vehicle and Im curious how it'd handle in the snow compared to the GX. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-02-17, 04:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I had a basically loaded '17 RX loaner about a month ago... it seemed like my GX in Sport mode held the corners better than the RX. The suspension felt really uncomfortable in the RX on the freeway. It seemed to bob up and down excessively. Not saying the GX is a sports car by any measure but the RX didn't instill any handling confidence for me. Be sure and turn off the lane departure nanny too. It so wanted to hold the middle of the lane my arms felt tired after driving it while feature was turned on. I hold closer to the fog line on curves.
Old 08-02-17, 05:32 PM
rroman001
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I test drove the RX F Sport a few times before purchasing the GX this past April. The RX had seats that fit like a glove, was more sporty and certainly a nicer interior with way more tech. The Nav much cooler looking and more updated to what the Audis and BMWs are using. The GX seemed to have a nav like my parents honda (and not that there is anything wrong with honda's). The 2nd row seemed to have ample space also. Thats about where the story ends. The GX gave me a 3rd row which I needed (and by the way have not used yet even once). I also liked the looks of it better, the V8 and everything there is to like about a truck (having sold a Jeep Wrangler in advance of buying the GX). It really comes down to personal preference. I crossed shopped this with a BMW X5, and a 5 series and I really did not need a semi-autonomous driving car or a nav system that allows you to make gestures at it to operate it. I guess what I am saying is GX is the right car for the right buyer and in my case it was me. So far I love it. I don't like the gas milage but the irony is my wife's Audi Q4 with a 4cycl is only a few mpg better than what I am getting.
Old 08-02-17, 07:29 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

From drivability and capability point of few, GS is much better. You can, however, to special order GX with "Driver Support Package" with basically give you all the toys you could have (minus HUD). As far as HUD, I am not sure if it is a safety feature or distraction. I also have the 2016 LX which has the HUD. Most time, I didn't even notice its there anyway. Because when you are driving, you really don't fix your view at one particular area anyway. Just my two cents. I owned one RX before and most of loaner from dealer are RX with various configurations (in fact, just had one today nearly loaded models). But, definitely won't switch compare my 2014 GX (Luxury) for sure.
Old 08-02-17, 11:48 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I have Hud in my GS but I don't care for it, it's more of a distraction only good use is when your using navigation (gives you direction in color) which I hardly did, always use my iPhone maps easier and faster to use.
Old 08-03-17, 01:41 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If you dont do much off-roading and dont need the body on frame construction, go for the RX. The RX is more refined, comfortable and gets updated more frequently with gadgets. I somewhat disliked how the GX drove on small road imperfections.
Old 08-03-17, 09:55 AM
rattmobbin
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep your GX and get the wife the RX. Problem solved.

That's what my wife wants us to do soon. Should have never let her drive the loaded RX loaner I had a couple weeks ago. LOL!
Old 08-03-17, 05:58 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

We we had a gx470 and switched to a 15' RX. We had it for two years and now we are back to a GX because of the size.

i can't say anything bad about the rx other than we wanted more space. Both are comfortable for the driver but the rx lacks some rear seat space if you have a car seat which led us to have the passenger seat forward. No issue on the gx.

if you ask my wife she likes the look and drivability of the rx better

Originally Posted by kt543
Hey all. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about switching from a GX to and RX? I currently have a 2015 GX and had an RX before that. I like the GX, but wished it had more technology like the RX (ex heads up display, all the safety tech). The downside is that the RX is a smaller vehicle and Im curious how it'd handle in the snow compared to the GX. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-05-17, 01:21 PM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Had a 2010 RX, then a 2016 RX. I had the 16 RX for a few months and traded out for the GX. Never looking back.
Old 08-05-17, 05:26 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife and I had an a 2015 RX before her GX and it was very cramped inside especially when we had our daughter and two Rottweilers in it so if you need the space I say stick with the GX. After some thinking we decided to trade in the RX for the GX and we could not be happier. Also I have to say for a vehicle the size of the GX it's actually very nimble and aside from the body on frame it rides almost the same as the RX then again we had it with the 19" wheels with low profile tire which do make the ride rougher.
Old 08-06-17, 06:43 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We have an RX and a GX. The RX is fine for short trips to run errands, etc. and will fit in smaller parking spots. It stays at a house we only use for part of the year, and only probably gets two tanks of gas a year worth of use. We like it for what it is and how we use it. But the GX is our go-to vehicle for long trips and for short trips when we have more than just one or two people and/or extra stuff to haul.