GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Suspension travel ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 07:25 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Suspension travel ?

Our GX seems to "bottom" the rear suspension really easy. That is to say, it hits hard over bumps, like there is no more suspension travel. I see the air suspension working, and the pump working when loaded. But it seems to run out of suspension travel. I don't know if its hitting the bump stops, or over load springs? Does it even have overload springs, like my truck?
Old 06-01-17, 07:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Does it do it even on the Sport suspension setting? Does yours do it even when relatively unloaded? I can't say I have yet to feel any bottoming out and towed a trailer full of firewood a couple weeks back.
Old 06-01-17, 07:43 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Sport mode might slow it down, but still bottoms. We have some speed bumps, and a few drainage ditches. These are only a about 6 inches wide, and maybe 6 inches deep. when you go over them, it bottoms, even at a crawl. Loaded, or unloaded doesn't make much difference. For comparison, our grand Cherokee, doesn't hit bottom going over them, even heavily loaded. My pickup will hit the overload springs, only if heavily loaded going over them.
Old 06-07-17, 02:14 PM
Quicksilve
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue with my 2012 GX Premium. I dropped it off at the dealership today and will let you all know what they say. By all indications the air suspension is working correctly and I keep it in the normal (middle setting) the majority of the time. I hope to hear soon.
QKSLR
Old 06-07-17, 06:33 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

I am thinking it just wasn't designed with a lot of travel in the rear. IFS is notorious for not much travel in the front. But usually there is good travel available with a live axle.
Old 06-08-17, 08:43 AM
Quicksilve
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just spoke with my service advisor at Sewell, they believe that the air bags are "worn" and need to be replaced. They are not leaking and do not have cracks or tears and hold the appropriate PSI but likely to the previous owner hauling heavy loads either in the cab or via trailer the rubber has expanded and allowing too much travel for the car. The cost of replacing the bag ONLY is $2300 at Sewell.
Old 06-08-17, 02:26 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Quicksilve
Just spoke with my service advisor at Sewell, they believe that the air bags are "worn" and need to be replaced. They are not leaking and do not have cracks or tears and hold the appropriate PSI but likely to the previous owner hauling heavy loads either in the cab or via trailer the rubber has expanded and allowing too much travel for the car. The cost of replacing the bag ONLY is $2300 at Sewell.

I'd probably get a second opinion on that one but even if you did have to replace bags these aftermarkets are only $153/each
. If you don't want to do yourself find a reputable shop.

Old 09-15-19, 09:20 PM
Member1301
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a person who has not decided at the beginning of his mature life that what he wants from the life and wants to achieve in his life then no anything can motivate him towards his bright future because he has lost his precious time.
The following users liked this post:
Jacket (09-16-19)
Old 09-16-19, 03:42 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 982 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmanb777
Our GX seems to "bottom" the rear suspension really easy. That is to say, it hits hard over bumps, like there is no more suspension travel. I see the air suspension working, and the pump working when loaded. But it seems to run out of suspension travel. I don't know if its hitting the bump stops, or over load springs? Does it even have overload springs, like my truck?
Take a look at Timbren "Active Off-Road" Bump-stops. These are softer than the load-carrying version ... so allow full axle articulation, while providing a controlled (cushioned) stop point versus the stock bump-stops that have a harsh (even violent) stop point. Very easy installation.
Old 09-16-19, 03:47 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I'm more than happy with the standard Timbren's. So far haven't noticed any articulation penalty (saw this stated in some 4R forums as well) and makes for a very compliant ride even though I had some initial concerns as seen in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...on-videos.html
bbqsoup (09-16-19)
Old 09-16-19, 06:02 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I'm more than happy with the standard Timbren's. So far haven't noticed any articulation penalty (saw this stated in some 4R forums as well) and makes for a very compliant ride even though I had some initial concerns as seen in this thread.

Good to know.

While some may view Timbren's as being expensive for what they are ... the quality of materials and construction is first rate ... so should last forever ... and the "cush" provided is worth the price of admission. Those evil shaped speed bumps now never translate into the frame.
Old 09-16-19, 06:09 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I've been following your original thread and I think I'm going to swing for a set in the rear. I've experienced some bottom outs going over speed bumps at 15-20mph and they were pretty jarring.
Does it need to do both front and rear or just the rear is fine? How much steering improvement you think it does for the front?

Originally Posted by Acrad35751

Old 09-16-19, 09:54 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Does it need to do both front and rear or just the rear is fine? How much steering improvement you think it does for the front?
I have only the rears on the GX460 and an FJ Cruiser.
bbqsoup (09-16-19)
Old 09-17-19, 02:41 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I don't think required on all four but I do think on front it does have noticeable affect on further muting road surface imperfections. I'd buy them again.

I'm probably an odd one.... full skids (Budbuilt) underneath, stock height, Timbrens and plan to keep my AVS/RAHC for the foreseeable future. I still need to get my C4 diff skid powder coated and installed.

If I did ever lose system while away it would be far easier to deal with on the Timbrens than with the stock bump stops.

There is this option as well but thought I saw some in forums talking about some damaged ones or torn.

https://toyotabumpstops.com/product-category/lexus/

The Timbrens while not cheap seem to hold up well over time and have a lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I've been following your original thread and I think I'm going to swing for a set in the rear. I've experienced some bottom outs going over speed bumps at 15-20mph and they were pretty jarring.