Notices
GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Reverse Lights - GX 460 (2011)

Old 01-04-17, 06:57 PM
njseeker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Lights - GX 460 (2011)

Can anyone tell me how to access the rear reverse lights on the passenger side of the vehicle. I need to replace the bulb. The lights are not on the back door. They are right above the bumper. I don't see any way to access the light bulbs.
Old 01-04-17, 08:45 PM
11GX460
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I am not sure what your dexterity level is being underneath the vehicle, but I replaced both of my reverse lights by removing the turn signals first, then accessing the reverse lights by going from from the top down while standing. I found it much easier than what the owner's manual state. There is 2 screws holding the lens unit if you need to remove it (If you are like me and accidentally dropped the light bulb in there). I know my pictures are from the driver's side, but it's really the same for the passenger side as well.
Black plastic piece is removable. My entire arm was able to fit in there.
Removal of 2 screws will allow you to remove the entire lens unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by 11GX460:
516IS (09-26-17), mattau (07-03-17)
Old 01-05-17, 04:45 AM
njseeker
Driver School Candidate

Wow! Thank you so much. I will try what you suggested and also check out the owners manual (duh!). Thanks for posting pics as well. Very cool.
Old 01-05-17, 06:48 AM
T4Fun
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

u could do it that way, but it accessed from underneath the rear. U dont remove any tail light or back up light assembly.
i think you have to remove panel underneath. i replace mine a while ago
Old 01-05-17, 07:58 AM
pinoyesv6
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun View Post
u could do it that way, but it accessed from underneath the rear. U dont remove any tail light or back up light assembly.
i think you have to remove panel underneath. i replace mine a while ago
Yup. that's the way it says to do it in the manual and is also the same way to do it on the 14+ as well.
Attached Thumbnails Reverse Lights - GX 460 (2011)-untitled.png  
Old 01-05-17, 08:52 AM
njseeker
Driver School Candidate

You guys are really awesome. Thank you so much. I will try to replace the bulb tonight!
Old 01-05-17, 04:37 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

Received 374 Likes on 288 Posts

Old 01-05-17, 06:35 PM
raky
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to do it myself a few months ago from underneath the car. I couldn't access it as there were wires in the way (looked to be part of the back up sensors). I didn't want to risk messing anything up so I took it to my independent Lexus mechanic. I gave them the bulb and they switched it out for free.
Old 01-05-17, 07:10 PM
11GX460
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My first attempt was to follow instructions by accessing it from underneath as well, but it is a challenge and I was able to get one side in before the light bulb slipped off and became dislodged in the housing lens. That was when I grew frustrated and decided to remove the entire piece. In the process, I discovered (my perspective) that is was easier and cleaner to access it from the top down. I did not have to worry about junk falling onto my face or into my eyes. I haven't fully examined it, but I believe the area in the bumper can also be used to hide large enough "stuff" that is not too heavy.
Old 01-08-17, 12:14 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I've replaced them from the bottom before. My hands aren't super tiny and it was an absolute pain.
Old 07-03-17, 02:39 PM
mattau
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You're a lifesaver! I dropped my backup light bulb into the box and glad I found your post! Too bad I didn't see it before I replaced the back-up lights and had to get dirty, twisted my arm and ate lots of dusts! LOL

While I was at it, I also replaced the rear side-markers with 194 LED. Maybe it's still bright out, I didn't find the LED look that different from the original incandescent bulb. Sort of the same situation with the front side-marker, replacing the bulb with LED didn't make a big difference. The LED back-up lights did though.

Originally Posted by 11GX460 View Post
I am not sure what your dexterity level is being underneath the vehicle, but I replaced both of my reverse lights by removing the turn signals first, then accessing the reverse lights by going from from the top down while standing. I found it much easier than what the owner's manual state. There is 2 screws holding the lens unit if you need to remove it (If you are like me and accidentally dropped the light bulb in there). I know my pictures are from the driver's side, but it's really the same for the passenger side as well.
Black plastic piece is removable. My entire arm was able to fit in there.
Removal of 2 screws will allow you to remove the entire lens unit.
Old 09-26-17, 03:13 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced mine, went with your suggestion from the top removing the tail lights, worked like a charm...
Old 12-21-17, 05:07 PM
Chazmanfla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by njseeker View Post
Can anyone tell me how to access the rear reverse lights on the passenger side of the vehicle. I need to replace the bulb. The lights are not on the back door. They are right above the bumper. I don't see any way to access the light bulbs.
Open the back gate. You should see two bolts that hold the taillight assembly. Remove bolts and carefully remove assembly from the vehicle. Access the bulbs by twisting the sockets to unlock and remove. Replace bulb and reverse the order to reassemble. Bobís your uncle!
Old 09-16-18, 05:56 AM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

Received 951 Likes on 711 Posts

If this got posted before let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse Lights - GX 460 (2011)

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: