GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX-460 Door Actuator Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 05:48 PM
ChrisPh
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LabDoc
I have a 2011 GX-460 with about 120k miles. In the past 60k miles, I have replaced 7 (yes seven) door actuators in the vehicle:
- 3 driver door
- 1 front passenger door
- 2 driver side rear door
- 1 back hatch door

After the 3rd actuator failed, I asked Lexus to look into this to find out the root cause of all of these failures with no luck.

On 4, 5, 6, I again asked but got back that there is over a mile of wiring in the vehicle and it's impossible to determine why.

On number 7, the dealer asked that I call Lexus to see what they can do (these are about $650 each to replace and $750 for rear hatch). Lexus said to go see another dealer...

So here I am, out over $4K replacing door actuators and no closer to finding an answer. Anyone else out there with similar issues? I'm at the point of wanting to get rid of it (although I love driving it).
Is you car tinted? I saw lots of tint places used too much water to do a tint job. The water might run down inside your doors and shorted the electrical system and it caused all of your actuator failed. It's just my 2-cents.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (07-21-18)
Old 10-20-17, 06:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

IMO... and stated by others....it does seem moisture intrusion through whatever means is likely culprit ...

If one didn't want to do work them self save yourself some money and purchase the part and find a good independent to spend an hour replacing. It should be considerably cheaper.

Example: Driver Door @ $282.77

Heck... with 3rd party market I wouldn't even bother swapping motor... looks like one can get one for $28 here..PN is the same at least

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Door-Lock-A...-/162719493821
GB2011GX (02-24-20)
Old 10-21-17, 05:59 AM
Tr6neil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I'd be looking into the cheap $5 fix listed earlier in thread. So far no issues with mine. Are you original owner?
I was not the original owner of the GS, and I am not the original owner of the GX. I will look into the $5 fix with my mechanic. We have owned an older GX, 2 4Runners, a Tacoma, and I still have a 2003 Tacoma that never had actuator issues. However, I also had a Camry briefly that had a bad body ECU and those those door locks didn't work either. I hope Toyota engineers are reading these threads.
Old 07-21-18, 03:33 PM
nwitry
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue with my 2012 GX460 (original owner). I had to bring it to the dealership 15 times and had every lock eventually replaced (some locks up to 3 times). I finally determined that it was a design failure and the car posed a hazard to my wife (who drove the car) and my children. I appealed to Lexus to buy back the car via the Lemon Law. After months of discussion, they agreed that there was a significant issue with the vehicle and purchased it back from me in full compliance with the Lemon :aw. I replaced the car with a new 2015 GX460. Last January - while still under warranty - the back gate lock failed. This month (July) it failed again. This is a serious issue Lexus has with the design.
Old 02-18-19, 06:14 AM
smithpr2
Driver School Candidate

Angry Door Actuator

Replaced the front passenger door actuator on my 2012 GX460 last year. Now the driver's door actuator needs replacing. Does Lexus help out with the cost since this seems to be a common problem? Each is about $500 to replace. Thanks
Old 02-18-19, 06:24 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smithpr2
Replaced the front passenger door actuator on my 2012 GX460 last year. Now the driver's door actuator needs replacing. Does Lexus help out with the cost since this seems to be a common problem? Each is about $500 to replace. Thanks
Wow, Lexus has this problem?! I thought only German cars have this issue......had it on my BMW and Mercedes!
Old 02-18-19, 06:26 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

anyone know the failure point on the part? BMWs it was the replacement of the heavy metal actuators for light plastic actuators
Old 02-18-19, 06:38 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-failure.html

3rd party actuators on eBay are less than $50/each.

PN: 69040-42250

Last edited by Acrad; 02-18-19 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 07:43 AM
jyarwood
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus GX 460 2011 actuator issues

Originally Posted by LabDoc
I have a 2011 GX-460 with about 120k miles. In the past 60k miles, I have replaced 7 (yes seven) door actuators in the vehicle:
- 3 driver door
- 1 front passenger door
- 2 driver side rear door
- 1 back hatch door

After the 3rd actuator failed, I asked Lexus to look into this to find out the root cause of all of these failures with no luck.

On 4, 5, 6, I again asked but got back that there is over a mile of wiring in the vehicle and it's impossible to determine why.

On number 7, the dealer asked that I call Lexus to see what they can do (these are about $650 each to replace and $750 for rear hatch). Lexus said to go see another dealer...

So here I am, out over $4K replacing door actuators and no closer to finding an answer. Anyone else out there with similar issues? I'm at the point of wanting to get rid of it (although I love driving it).

I have the same issue with my 2011 GX 460. I plan on buying an aftermarket and have a local mechanic fix. I have given up on Lexus and will not purchase another Lexus vehicle. Clearly there is a issue that they are not stepping up to fix.
Old 07-07-19, 09:55 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

I’ve now replaced all of the actuators on my 2011 GX in the 3.5 years I have owned it. I think one went out prior to me buying it which causes the previous owner to sell it.

Seems like an issue related to this car. However, all the actuators are the same for Toyota and I don’t hear about it being a big problem on other vehicles.

Fortunately I have gotten good at replacing them and the replacements are cheap.
Old 07-08-19, 05:06 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by clearmysix
I’ve now replaced all of the actuators on my 2011 GX in the 3.5 years I have owned it. I think one went out prior to me buying it which causes the previous owner to sell it.

Seems like an issue related to this car. However, all the actuators are the same for Toyota and I don’t hear about it being a big problem on other vehicles.

Fortunately I have gotten good at replacing them and the replacements are cheap.
Glad everything is good for you now. It is highly unusual that all of them failed at very short period of time. Haven't heard any other similar situation in this community. One thing the I am wondering if previous owner had any water damages to causing such failure. Is there any other failure that you had experienced directly or indirectly associated with those failure?
Old 07-09-19, 01:40 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hzhao
Glad everything is good for you now. It is highly unusual that all of them failed at very short period of time. Haven't heard any other similar situation in this community. One thing the I am wondering if previous owner had any water damages to causing such failure. Is there any other failure that you had experienced directly or indirectly associated with those failure?
I think it is odd too. The previous owner was an older lady, always garaged, San Diego car, no known water damage.

I surf a lot so I often have wetsuits in my car after surfing which increases the humidity in the car. I am thinking this may be the reason? However, the previous owner replaced one after owning it for 3 years so it's not all my fault.
Old 07-09-19, 04:47 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

clearmysix: Did they go from working to not in one day or did they start making sounds or intermittently work first? Curious how they fail if it happens.
tecman (07-09-19)
Old 07-09-19, 06:26 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Yes please, any signs of failure?
Old 07-10-19, 10:39 AM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Default GX 460 rear door actuator failure - How to fix when door won't open

Hello,

I recently had the rear door actuator fail. It started out slowly having issues, so I ordered the part. When I decided to install the part the door would no longer open so I thought I was screwed. Well, there is a way out.

See the attached PDF for instructions on how to replace the actuator IF you can open the door.

Now that I couldn't open the door this is what I did:

Open the rear hatch

Remove top panel

Remove all other panels (see PDF). I was not able to completely remove the bottom panel but I was able to see that there was a screw driver area at the actuator (RED)

Turn clockwise for a while, this will eventually unlock the door.

Inside the actuator you can see that the screw when turned moves a plate (red arrow), that hits a tab that will unlock the door (blue arrow)

With the door open you can replace the actuator normally.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
back door lock.pdf (378.1 KB, 264 views)
The following 7 users liked this post by clearmysix:
Acrad (07-10-19), bbqsoup (07-10-19), hzhao (07-10-19), John00 (07-10-19), ltsr (07-11-19), Mojlnir (07-10-19), TooHappy (07-11-19) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: GX-460 Door Actuator Failure