Official GX Wheel Thread - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Official GX Wheel Thread

Old 01-09-16, 10:11 PM
  #1  
jpcdmd
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 712
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Official GX Wheel Thread

Post pics your aftermarket wheels. Include brand/model info and sizes if possible (diameter, width, offset) and tire size.

I'll start.......just bought this 2014 Luxury, it came with these Black Rhino Traverse 22x9.5 (offset+25) wheels and black pearl GX460 and "L" emblems. Tires are Falken Ziex S/TZ05 in size 285/40-22. I don't have any experience riding on the 18" stockers so can't compare the ride but I have no major complaints about the 22's (I'm coming from a 2001 LS430 I had for 12 years). I may decide to drop down to 20's in the future to reduce some unsprung weight.
Name:  IMAG3488_zpsdt9ustig.jpg
Views: 19280
Size:  271.1 KB


I also found these OEM-style replicas in 20" and 22" sizes that look pretty good:

https://wheelgenius.com/product-category/wheels/replica/toyota-fitment/page/2/

I'd like to see how some of these OEM styles look on the GX in the larger diameters.

Last edited by jpcdmd; 10-10-16 at 11:24 PM. Reason: specs
jpcdmd is offline  
Old 01-10-16, 08:25 PM
  #2  
96redvette
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default 22" Black Rhino Letaba

Here's a couple pics of my wheels on my 2015 GX460 before I traded it in. I have these wheels for sale if anyone is interested. They are in like new condition with less than 5k miles. I paid $2200 for the wheels from discount tire (have receipt) plus the toyos were almost $1k. Shoot me a PM
Attached Thumbnails Official GX Wheel Thread-lexus-black-rhino.jpg   Official GX Wheel Thread-lexus-black-rhino-2.jpg  

Last edited by 96redvette; 11-14-16 at 06:44 AM.
96redvette is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 96redvette For This Useful Post:
raynyc (09-03-17)
Old 01-11-16, 02:48 PM
  #3  
managerx
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ontario
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am looking forward to watching this thread in the future. I just got delivery of a 2016 GX460 before Christmas and one of the funny quirks about the 2016s in Canada is how they packaged the options and the wheels.

For 2016 they stopped bringing in the base model and they give you three choices; Luxury ($69,500), Technology ($72,500), and Executive (~$78,000).

I opted for the Technology package, because for ~$3K more it gives you all of the luxury options, plus all the drive assist of the executive package (LDA, Radar Cruise, Wide-View/Side view; driver monitor etc.). The executive package adds the cool box, skid plates and rear TVs for another ~6K.

However the weird part is that the Premium comes with the standard premium wheels (painted silver colour), the Tech comes with the old BASE wheels (!!) and the Exec comes with the standard lux wheels with the graphite finish. So I paid more more money to get the base wheels, which are fine for winter wheels, but not what I expect for over $70K (Canadian dollar these days...)

So for now, I have the base wheels running my snow tires and will be looking to find a set of OEM lux wheels for the summer tires or maybe something aftermarket.

Looking forward to some inspiration - and if anyone wants to sell me their OEM graphite wheels - send me a message!
managerx is offline  
Old 01-13-16, 09:02 PM
  #4  
jpcdmd
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 712
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by managerx View Post
I am looking forward to watching this thread in the future. I just got delivery of a 2016 GX460 before Christmas and one of the funny quirks about the 2016s in Canada is how they packaged the options and the wheels.

For 2016 they stopped bringing in the base model and they give you three choices; Luxury ($69,500), Technology ($72,500), and Executive (~$78,000).

I opted for the Technology package, because for ~$3K more it gives you all of the luxury options, plus all the drive assist of the executive package (LDA, Radar Cruise, Wide-View/Side view; driver monitor etc.). The executive package adds the cool box, skid plates and rear TVs for another ~6K.

However the weird part is that the Premium comes with the standard premium wheels (painted silver colour), the Tech comes with the old BASE wheels (!!) and the Exec comes with the standard lux wheels with the graphite finish. So I paid more more money to get the base wheels, which are fine for winter wheels, but not what I expect for over $70K (Canadian dollar these days...)

So for now, I have the base wheels running my snow tires and will be looking to find a set of OEM lux wheels for the summer tires or maybe something aftermarket.

Looking forward to some inspiration - and if anyone wants to sell me their OEM graphite wheels - send me a message!
Check out that link I posted to some of the hyper-black OEM-style wheels from Wheel Genius. I think the OEM look in a 20" size would look great! The factory 4 Runner 20" wheels are only 7" wide whereas the ones above are 8.5".
jpcdmd is offline  
Old 04-29-16, 06:23 PM
  #5  
thundercow
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: tx
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Awesome, let's keep this thread going--stock wheels are pretty boring on this car.

Stock size is 18x7.5 with 52mm offset.

Does anyone have an opinion on how wide of a wheel would work with the stock tires? Is 8.5 inches too wide?
thundercow is offline  
Old 04-29-16, 07:25 PM
  #6  
tecman
Lexus Champion
 
tecman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ga
Posts: 2,564
Thanked 252 Times in 209 Posts
Default

My 1.25 inch spacers were good until I had the Pirelli Scorpion Zero P265/40R-22 installed. Now I have rubbing. There is little play on size with the GX.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...8-spacers.html
tecman is offline  
Old 05-03-16, 04:11 PM
  #7  
Bruin1md
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default What I've been told on the offsets....

Originally Posted by tecman View Post
My 1.25 inch spacers were good until I had the Pirelli Scorpion Zero P265/40R-22 installed. Now I have rubbing. There is little play on size with the GX.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...8-spacers.html


I called Rimz One and they told me that +18 offset would be right for the GX (I'm getting after market 18 x 9 Mayhems) and will allow me to go up a tire size to 275/65/18 from the stock 265/60/18.
In fact, they said I should be ok even if I went to 285/60/18, but I'm a bit concerned about the additional width of that tire causing more wheel rub than the 275/65's, despite the latter having a greater diameter.


I don't want to have to put spacers if I dont' have to.


I know of one guy who got KO2's at 275/65/18 that he had put on his existing stock 18 x7 wheels, and isn't having any significant issues with rub.
Bruin1md is offline  
Old 05-05-16, 11:22 AM
  #8  
topherb612
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default



2014 GX460 base added Black Rhino Traverse 20x9 15mm offset about a month ago. I did not want a really low profile looking tire so went with 285/50r20. I am happy with the size. It rubbed twice on passenger side wheel well screw. I changed that to a more flush screw and has not rubbed since. I did a lot of research on this forum before buying that tire size. This is my first post and wanted to thank everyone here for the info.
topherb612 is offline  
Old 05-09-16, 03:34 PM
  #9  
jpcdmd
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 712
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by topherb612 View Post
2014 GX460 base added Black Rhino Traverse 20x9 15mm offset about a month ago. I did not want a really low profile looking tire so went with 285/50r20. I am happy with the size. It rubbed twice on passenger side wheel well screw. I changed that to a more flush screw and has not rubbed since. I did a lot of research on this forum before buying that tire size. This is my first post and wanted to thank everyone here for the info.
Looks good! Got any pics from the front or rear at an angle so I can see how the offset looks? I think I may drop down to these in 20" instead of the 22" I currently have. Also, what brand tires did you go with?

Last edited by jpcdmd; 05-11-16 at 10:37 AM.
jpcdmd is offline  
Old 05-09-16, 05:02 PM
  #10  
kaiso
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: MD
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by topherb612 View Post

2014 GX460 base added Black Rhino Traverse 20x9 15mm offset about a month ago. I did not want a really low profile looking tire so went with 285/50r20. I am happy with the size. It rubbed twice on passenger side wheel well screw. I changed that to a more flush screw and has not rubbed since. I did a lot of research on this forum before buying that tire size. This is my first post and wanted to thank everyone here for the info.
Did you lower it also?
kaiso is offline  
Old 05-09-16, 07:46 PM
  #11  
jjscsix
Lexus Test Driver
 
jjscsix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default

With all due respect, those pics are why I'm not a fan of black wheels. Can't even see what they look like
jjscsix is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 08:16 AM
  #12  
topherb612
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I agree with black wheels being hard to see the design but I like the contrast on the white vehicle. I did not lower it probably looks that way because the 285/50/20 fill the fenders more. I went with Michelin Lattitude tours because of a special and could not beat the price.
topherb612 is offline  
Old 05-18-16, 10:23 PM
  #13  
GX460PREM
Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Tecman...

Have you tried the Butler's High Speed on the Car Wheel Balancing on your 22" rims?
Is it a major improvement over traditional balancing?

I just got my tires changed on my 24" rims but experiencing shimmy vibration at 60MPH.
Should I pay the extra fee for that exclusive service at Butler?

Btw, did you get a resolution on your exhaust system with the spare tire mounted back on?
I like your setup but I prefer to keep the spare.
GX460PREM is offline  
Old 05-19-16, 02:46 PM
  #14  
tecman
Lexus Champion
 
tecman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ga
Posts: 2,564
Thanked 252 Times in 209 Posts
Default

Butler did the on car balancing a couple of times, but it was no help for my 60 mph vibration. I think my truck just hates my wheels

Nope on the exhaust. Thinking of renting a truck for a few days and give mine to the guys I use, Japanese Automotive. I will give them my spare so they can see if something can be done with the routing. Maybe a smaller tire? I will have them fix my overhead wiring F-up that killed my remote start and let me lock my fob in my truck. I will also have them look into my balancing problem and get a new water pump while she's in.
tecman is offline  
Old 05-19-16, 03:36 PM
  #15  
GX460PREM
Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Tecman...

Did they take into consideration your wheel adapters when they did the balancing?
How bad is the vibration @ 60MPH? Is the vibration noticeable at other speeds?
Did you have uneven treadwear when u replaced your tires? Could the vibration be
linked to the leaning issue?
GX460PREM is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official GX Wheel Thread


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: