GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Interior Scratches / Scuffs / Marks / Blemishes

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 12:35 PM
Resident
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb How to disguise scratches on inside plastic panels?

Dear Friends!
I am 200% sure that VSC issue will be fixed very soon. What I have noticed that plastic on doors is very soft and prone to catching scratches even of light touch. Does anyone know how to fix/disguise these scratches
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-10, 12:48 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Let's start by considering what Lexus advises. Here's the section of the online owner's manual concerning interior cleaning:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...html&locale=en

Water! More specifically, a cloth dampened with lukewarm water. Try that first to be sure the interior surfaces are clean, then we'll need to consider something a little stronger than water ... maybe Windex.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-17-10, 01:00 PM
Resident
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but windex doesn't help. I need something like black powder to rub into plastic (may be graphite?)
Old 04-17-10, 10:24 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I previously owned a 07 GX470 and all the plastic interior parts scratched much easier than any other vehicle I have owned. I guess its the trade off for the feel of the plastic not feeling hard and cheap like on many vehicles.
Old 04-17-10, 10:27 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

greetings from the RX forum

We just had a discussion on this. I am assuming you are talking about the bottom of the door panels. People recommend using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. However, it is a light abrasive so be very careful using it. Just a light swipe should do.
Old 04-18-10, 12:06 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Try that first to be sure the interior surfaces are clean, then we'll need to consider something a little stronger than water ... maybe Windex.
Regards,

SaniDel
I am going to be blunt. DO NOT use windex for anything except un-tinted glass, and occasionaly chrome (depends on what kind of chrome). Windex has ammonia in it, which will ruin the finish on most automotive plastics. Sorry for contradicting you Sani, but i just needed to say something. It could literally ruin the dash in 1 go.

There are plenty of Vinyl/leather/plastic (not nessecarily all in one) products that are readily available, even at retail locations. You had the right intentions SaniDel, just the wrong product. I do agree with using just a damp microfiber cloth. However if one wants the finish to last, they will need some kind of a protectant.

Originally Posted by RXSF
greetings from the RX forum

We just had a discussion on this. I am assuming you are talking about the bottom of the door panels. People recommend using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. However, it is a light abrasive so be very careful using it. Just a light swipe should do.
Bingo, that sounds like a plan. I love those things.
Old 04-18-10, 07:16 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
I am going to be blunt. DO NOT use windex for anything except un-tinted glass, and occasionaly chrome (depends on what kind of chrome). Windex has ammonia in it, which will ruin the finish on most automotive plastics. Sorry for contradicting you Sani, but i just needed to say something. It could literally ruin the dash in 1 go.
Thanks for the correction and the advice, OCDetailer. Windex is certainly not the right product to use on anything made of plastic and now we know why.

May we assume you also recommend against the suggestion made by 'Resident' to rub graphite powder into the plastic? It seems the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would be a better choice, but just a touch, right?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-18-10, 07:29 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone notice the silver looking plastic on the dash and console scratches super easily too? And the issue is not dirt so it's not about cleaning it, it's that it indents very easily, you can see the scratch and even feel it if you run your finger over it. There's no cleaning that. I have a habit of throwing the keys in the cupholder and sometimes I miss. There are already scratches after 1.5 months of ownership - it's going to to be horrible after a year or 2!
Old 04-18-10, 07:52 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by wannaGX
Anyone notice the silver looking plastic on the dash and console scratches super easily too? And the issue is not dirt so it's not about cleaning it, it's that it indents very easily, you can see the scratch and even feel it if you run your finger over it. There's no cleaning that. I have a habit of throwing the keys in the cupholder and sometimes I miss. There are already scratches after 1.5 months of ownership - it's going to to be horrible after a year or 2!
Keys? You don't need keys for the 2010 GX. Keep the "electronic key" (a.k.a. the fob) on your person, e.g., in your pocket and your house keys somewhere safe where they can't scratch ... you can unlock, start, stop and lock the GX by touch.

Thanks for the warning about the plastic on the dash and console. We noticed one small scratch and we will try to limit it to one. We keep a microfiber cloth in the center console for when we "feel the need" to wipe the dust without causing another scratch.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-18-10, 08:34 AM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the European cars such as Mercs, BMW's, and Audi's, but the material in the GX 460 seems to be of lower quality than the plastic in my old 1998 ES.

Also, where do you folks put the Smart Key when driving? I have a big headache right now as to how to put my keys in my pocket. I used to have a key pouch that I could put everything inside, but because the Smart Key was too bulky the zipper of the pouch had burst open! I was thinking to get a key case, but once again the Smart Key was too big so the key case wouldn't close. People have been telling me to put my Smart Key in the left pocket, and my other keys - in a key case - in the right pocket. It's inconvenient but it seems that's the inevitable direction I have to be heading. Sorry I think I'm off topic.
Old 04-18-10, 09:17 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks for the correction and the advice, OCDetailer. Windex is certainly not the right product to use on anything made of plastic and now we know why.

May we assume you also recommend against the suggestion made by 'Resident' to rub graphite powder into the plastic? It seems the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would be a better choice, but just a touch, right?
Regards,

SaniDel
Yes, a touch is fine, you dont want to put more pressure than the weight of the eraser itself behind it. Again, I want to make it clear that I meant no disrespect, I just didnt want anyone to make the same mistake I have in the past. It was my fault entirely, and I paid for the repair out of my own pocket. I have numerous spray bottles, and I usually label them with what is in them. I was working on a customer's car (an older BMW with a padded dash) and I grabbed the bottle I had recently filled with windex, thinking it was leather solution. The bottle was white, and I had not labeled it yet, so there was no way to tell. I sprayed one spray on the dash and KNEW I had screwed up. I could smell the ammonia. I got it off with a wet microfiber, and waited a few minutes. I could see the black leather fading in the area (spots) where the windex was concentrated most. I called the owner, and asked him to come down to see the car, I had a question for him. I was upfront, honest, and just explained what had happened. He was very appreciative of my honesty, and I told him I would pay for it if I could not fix it. I could not, so I called a friend of mine who has an Uphostery Shop in Fort Worth to come out and give me an estimate. He did, and the customer and myself were present for it. I finished the rest of the car, and told the customer this detail, and his next 2, were free. I also wrote the Upholstery Shop a check for the estimate, and my customer had a new upper dash pad installed 2 days later.

My point to all that was simply that without even realizing it, certain chemicals can literally ruin certain materials, sometimes in seconds. I am sure that on plastics, you can probably get away with it for a few times, but I would not imagine Ammonia is healthy for anything except glass and porcelin. Thank you for not assuming I was trying to be an ***, I was not, Just wanted to help.

The graphite solution...I am not sure. It would depend on what color the panel is, etc etc. It would only be a temporary solution. I know for cracked panels, I use a color matched filler. You purchase the filler (kind of like bondo) and have a paint shop add paint to it to match the color of the panel you are fixing. However, this only works on non textured panels, or very small cracks, or cracks that are in an inconspicuous place, and will not be easily seen.
Keys? You don't need keys for the 2010 GX. Keep the "electronic key" (a.k.a. the fob) on your person, e.g., in your pocket and your house keys somewhere safe where they can't scratch ... you can unlock, start, stop and lock the GX by touch.

Thanks for the warning about the plastic on the dash and console. We noticed one small scratch and we will try to limit it to one. We keep a microfiber cloth in the center console for when we "feel the need" to wipe the dust without causing another scratch.
Regards,

SaniDel
May I see a picture of this metallic painted trim? I may have some suggestions here as well. As for the smart key, if its the kind that is the size of a credit card, I would put it ANYWHERE but my wallet. LOL. I always thought the wallet was a bad place for that kind of key, ever since it came out. If your wallet is stolen, the thief has your car keys.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 04-18-10 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 11:53 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Windex Original contains Ammonia, other types of Windex such as CrystalRain and MultiSurface Grease Cutter do not. These should be safe to use. Ah, also do not use any products with vinegar like Windex MultiSurface Vinegar (sic), they can also easily discolor leather, carpeting, etc.
Old 04-18-10, 11:58 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

regarding the plastic metallic trim. This seems to be the same plastic they use in all their cars (except for the LX which uses a real aluminum finish). I dont see an easy way of fixing those scratches. Just try not to throw keys at it

I don't know about the European cars such as Mercs, BMW's, and Audi's, but the material in the GX 460 seems to be of lower quality than the plastic in my old 1998 ES.
as for the door panels, the problem isnt exactly a lower quality plastic. The problem is using plastic. A great touch on my C class is that they wrap the bottom part of the door with a fabric so that if your shoes touch it on the way out, it will leave a mark that will disapear with water. Hard plastic just scratches too easily and its a bad choice of material
Old 04-18-10, 03:40 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I know how to start my GX. But I have a set of keys that I carry around that has the fob, plus house key plus other keys, plus keychain that has to get passed around. Cup holder is the logical place to throw it. Sucks that the plastic is so soft that you have to be careful. Never had to worry about it with the other cars.
Old 04-18-10, 05:46 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by wannaGX
Yes, I know how to start my GX.
Sorry ... I jumped to a conclusion based on your screen name!

My wife and I both broke the habit of keeping our car keys with the rest of the keys on our key rings. Our GX was delivered with a black and a grey leather bag for the "electronic keys" that would be indistinguishable otherwise. The black one goes in my pocket and the grey one goes in her purse ... the rest of our keys go somewhere else, but they remain out of sight ... and out of harm's way.

Obviously, "key management" is a personal matter, but I've only found one flaw with our approach ... the car wash. Leaving the GX running with the electronic key in your pocket causes two problems:

1. The GX beeps, which is embarrassing at the car wash, and
2. The GX won't start at the end of the car wash line!

My solution is to hang the electronic key on the windshield wiper stalk using the short loop on the leather bag. Step out of the truck and it doesn't complain, plus it will restart at the end of the car wash line. The only problem the crew on the car wash line has with the GX is the side swing door AND the pop up rear window!
Regards,

SaniDel

Quick Reply: Interior Scratches / Scuffs / Marks / Blemishes