GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2021 Lease/Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 12:32 AM
touufless
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just joined the club ! First lexus, first suv purchase. How did I do ?

Bay area purchase: OTD: 57.5k, tax & registration MSRP: 58.9k

Financed @.9%

2021 Starfire pearl, GX 460
Premium package
( LED foglamps, rain-sensing wipers, windshield de-icer, intuitive parking assist, navigation package, gray sapele wood trim, heated/ventilated front seats, heated outboard 2nd row seats, 3-zone automatic climate controrl, power folding outside mirrors, tinted windows)

18 " dark gray metallic allow wheels
cargo area tonneau cover
headlamp washers
heated wood and leather steering wheel
Cargo net/cargo mat/ wheel locks and key gloves

The following users liked this post:
OgggO (03-31-21)
Old 04-05-21, 07:36 PM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyrd1
I been looking for a 2021 with captain seats in Rioja red interior in the PNW region. I tried Lexus of Bellevue but they are not negotiate with special order. Any other dealer that you guys recommend? Thanks

​​​​​​​Check dealerships at nearby states. Bellevue Lexus have higher base prices and expensive non-removable add-ons.
Old 04-06-21, 08:28 PM
kplatinum7
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Questions about new 2021 Lexus GX 460 purchase

Hi there,

So I don't actually have a GX at this time. What I have is a 2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription AWD that pisses me off. I'm so done with it. I'm ready for something reliable, comfortable, and that will last forever. Specifically, the Premium with Premium Plus package model has caught my eye. The GX itself is older than Methuselah, but I like the 2020 facelift a lot and it's not like I really play with all the stupid toys in my Volvo, anyway (when they work).

I do have a few questions, though:

1. Purchase Price: My local dealer has one, with the Starfire Pearl (white) exterior and Ecru (interior). It also has the Premium Plus package and headlight washers. The dealer is offering it for $59,645, which is just MSRP minus the $1,500 Lexus Cash that's going on until 5/3/2021. What are my chances of negotiating anything else off the purchase price? Would, say, $58,645 OTD be a reasonable offer, or would I get laughed out of there? I know these are sought-after vehicles and don't want to look stupid or lowball them, but anything helps and I've never before paid asking price for a new vehicle (not that I wouldn't; I just want to see what's reasonable).

2. LED interior lights: I borrowed a base model (no heated seats, ick!) 2017 GX 460 from CarMax and noticed the interior lights are, of course, halogen. But in the stock photos of the face-lifted 2020+ models, it looks as though Lexus swapped them out for LEDs. Did they?

3. Lit overhead console controls: The base-model 2017 GX I test drove didn't seem to have lit controls for the overhead panel, which seems like a glaring oversight, especially since the SOS telematics button is there. Or perhaps they weren't working? Does the GX have lit controls in the overhead console, or no?

4. Premium or regular? I know this seems like a silly question and I have no problem putting premium in a premium vehicle, but does the GX actually need premium fuel, or do they just say it does? Would I lose enough fuel economy putting regular in to make it a wash, or outright damage something using regular?

Anyway, I'm excited about this purchase. I'm looking forward to getting my new GX, potentially as early as tomorrow if my schedule lines up. I'll call and make an appointment.
Old 04-06-21, 08:47 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kplatinum7
Hi there,

So I don't actually have a GX at this time. What I have is a 2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription AWD that pisses me off. I'm so done with it. I'm ready for something reliable, comfortable, and that will last forever. Specifically, the Premium with Premium Plus package model has caught my eye. The GX itself is older than Methuselah, but I like the 2020 facelift a lot and it's not like I really play with all the stupid toys in my Volvo, anyway (when they work).

1. Purchase Price: My local dealer has one, with the Starfire Pearl (white) exterior and Ecru (interior). It also has the Premium Plus package and headlight washers. The dealer is offering it for $59,645, which is just MSRP minus the $1,500 Lexus Cash that's going on until 5/3/2021. What are my chances of negotiating anything else off the purchase price? Would, say, $58,645 OTD be a reasonable offer, or would I get laughed out of there? I know these are sought-after vehicles and don't want to look stupid or lowball them, but anything helps and I've never before paid asking price for a new vehicle (not that I wouldn't; I just want to see what's reasonable).

2. LED interior lights: I borrowed a base model (no heated seats, ick!) 2017 GX 460 from CarMax and noticed the interior lights are, of course, halogen. But in the stock photos of the face-lifted 2020+ models, it looks as though Lexus swapped them out for LEDs. Did they?

3. Lit overhead console controls: The base-model 2017 GX I test drove didn't seem to have lit controls for the overhead panel, which seems like a glaring oversight, especially since the SOS telematics button is there. Or perhaps they weren't working? Does the GX have lit controls in the overhead console, or no?

4. Premium or regular? I know this seems like a silly question and I have no problem putting premium in a premium vehicle, but does the GX actually need premium fuel, or do they just say it does? Would I lose enough fuel economy putting regular in to make it a wash, or outright damage something using regular?

Anyway, I'm excited about this purchase. I'm looking forward to getting my new GX, potentially as early as tomorrow if my schedule lines up. I'll call and make an appointment.

Firstly, Congrats on the new car, you will love it! The GX is a solid choice for those of us who are not spec sheet obsessed. I have 2 GX's a 2014 and a 2018 but I am not sure what the market is like for the post-2020 facelifted models so I cannot comment much on the price. As far as your question on Premium or regular fuel, this is a hotly debated topic in another thread on this forum but I am personally of the opinion that you should just use premium. Bought the 2014 GX brand new over 7 years ago, and over 141k miles have only used premium and I have had good luck with that. The price difference isn't big enough where I live to justify cheaping out and going with regular. As far as if it will run, I am fully confident that the truck will run fine on regular since modern cars have very sophisticated engine control computers that will adapt to the worse fuel. There may be some consequences to this in the driving feel but honestly, I feel that this is very subjective, and the best way to get a feel for it yourself would be to just run a tank of regular and a tank of premium back to back. Compare and make an educated choice on what suits your driving and your wallet. Most importantly, Enjoy the new ride!

EDIT: To address your question about the overhead console controls, Both my GXs have illuminated buttons up there so I am not sure what was going on with the 2017 you drove. Maybe because it was a base model or they were not working.
Old 04-07-21, 04:59 AM
NoMercy
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Some Stealers will give you the "Costco" price, even if you are not a Costco Member. IOW, when asked, they just cut to the chase and quote the Costco price sheet for the GX. That is how I got a fair deal on my 2021 GX Premium Plus.
The sticker was $59,670. I paid 56,612 plus tax and got the Toyota 0% financing for 5 yrs. They got me for the dealer applied full tint @ $300. I was gonna have the windows tinted regardless.
I do have illuminated overhead controls.
I always use premium-grade fuel. Why take the risk? We are luxury SUV buyers...not Kia buyers.

Last edited by NoMercy; 04-07-21 at 05:20 AM.
corpnupe85 (04-10-21)
Old 04-07-21, 05:29 AM
kplatinum7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NoMercy
Some Stealers will give you the "Costco" price, even if you are not a Costco Member. IOW, when asked, they just cut to the chase and quote the Costco price sheet for the GX. That is how I got a fair deal on my 2021 GX Premium Plus.
The sticker was $59,670. I paid 56,612 plus tax and got the Toyota 0% financing for 5 yrs. They got me for the dealer applied full tint @ $300. I was gonna have the windows tinted regardless.
I do have illuminated overhead controls.
I always use premium-grade fuel. Why take the risk? We are luxury SUV buyers...not Kia buyers.
Good point on the premium fuel. It amounts to not very much money.

As far as the Costco thing: the problem with that is that the Costco in my area is so new, no dealerships are part of the program. As far as I can tell, my local Lexus dealer isn’t a part of any discount program (not even TrueCar). So that still leaves me unsure how much they’ll charge. Guess I can just go find out this afternoon.

The other thing is that no matter how hard I tried in the configurator, I could not get the MSRP to go up to what they state for this particular unit on their website. Even when I added the accessories (cargo mat, wheel locks) and standalone options (headlight washers), the highest I could do was $59,675. Not $61,XXX. And I went and looked at it on their lot while they were closed, and I believe the sticker price also had the $59,675 on it.

So if they actually have the wrong MSRP stated, but come down to the correct MSRP and just give me the $1,500 off, that’s still a good result that will have me close to the $58K I want to pay.
Old 04-07-21, 05:36 AM
NoMercy
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

OK is not a bad drive to TX, where I live (DFW). I bought my 2021 GX at Park Place Lexus in Plano. John Pak was my sales critter, and I recommend him. He won't give you the Texas 2-Step.
I am not sure they are currently "dealing" today like they were back in December when I bought it. I think they were a bit more accommodating due to the Covid stuff.
Old 04-07-21, 05:38 AM
kplatinum7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NoMercy
OK is not a bad drive to TX, where I live (DFW). I bought my 2021 GX at Park Place Lexus in Plano. John Pak was my sales critter, and I recommend him. He won't give you the Texas 2-Step.
I am not sure they are currently "dealing" today like they were back in December when I bought it. I think they were a bit more accommodating due to the Covid stuff.
Yeah, might be. And I will consider a drive to Dallas. It wouldn’t be the first time I did that for a new car, or a used one. There are more dealerships in that area of Texas, and they might be more competitive.
Old 04-07-21, 05:56 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry to hear about your challenges with the Volvo. My neighbor has one and seems content with it. I actually looked at them before going the GX route but decided against given the additional cost for a similar build.

1. This will vary significantly depending on region and dealership. However, it's not unreasonable to expect $2-5K off MSRP and that's NOT including any Lexus Cash. That said, they have been seeing record sales over the last few months which is evident with them lowering the Lexus Cash from $2.5K to $1.5K. In short, they may not be willing to come down as much. Sales Figures
2. To the best of my knowledge, the interior lights are not LED except for maybe the dash itself? The ONLY LEDs are the headlights/fog lights per the standard equipment descriptions. I would think if all lights were LED they would have put some type of verbiage in the literature but I could be wrong.
3. My overhead console has some small indicator lights near the buttons. There are also overhead map reading lights there but I don't believe that's what you're referring too. See photo below if that helps.
4. I agree with others and it's just best to use premium if possible. Although, the engine CPU will compensate if you did happen to use non-premium fuel.

Last edited by L3xusGX; 04-07-21 at 06:14 AM.
mike995134 (04-11-21)
Old 04-07-21, 06:16 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Good point on the premium fuel. It amounts to not very much money.

As far as the Costco thing: the problem with that is that the Costco in my area is so new, no dealerships are part of the program. As far as I can tell, my local Lexus dealer isn’t a part of any discount program (not even TrueCar). So that still leaves me unsure how much they’ll charge. Guess I can just go find out this afternoon.

The other thing is that no matter how hard I tried in the configurator, I could not get the MSRP to go up to what they state for this particular unit on their website. Even when I added the accessories (cargo mat, wheel locks) and standalone options (headlight washers), the highest I could do was $59,675. Not $61,XXX. And I went and looked at it on their lot while they were closed, and I believe the sticker price also had the $59,675 on it.

So if they actually have the wrong MSRP stated, but come down to the correct MSRP and just give me the $1,500 off, that’s still a good result that will have me close to the $58K I want to pay.

If you have the VIN from the one you're looking at then try using the VIN decoder to see if it shows something in the package you may be missing: Lexus Vin Decoder
Old 04-07-21, 12:31 PM
henfield
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XC90 to GX....Wife loves her Volvo, I love my (you guessed it). The only thing I think you'll miss about the Volvo is the relative space. Sequoia space wise is far better, but thats almost as ancient as the GX.
Old 04-07-21, 02:06 PM
John00
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 278 Posts

higher octane detonates at a higher pressure, useful for high compression engines.
detonating at too low compression detonates prematurely, and you can get knock, which the computers can adjust around.
the fuel number at the pump is the minimum, not the actual. in many cases, the 85 is actually 89 because it can be cheaper in the supply chain.
RON MON PON when the vehicle is sold to different countries, the rating method can give different numbers for the same octane
it has been said that our lowest PON is better than some places highest rating, not due just to octane but to cleanliness
ive been using the lowest rated for 5 years in my gx, havent heard any knock or noticed any issues. if i ever hear a knock then ill go up.
usually the best mpg is with the lowest mfg required value, not the recommended value
Old 04-07-21, 02:08 PM
aabassi
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi there,

1) My family purchased a 2021 GX460 Premium MSRp61k in november. There was a $4,500 and we got an additional 2,500 off through negotiation. Monthly payment is $900 a month. So yes, at least for us, there was some negotiation room, although I had to contact several different dealerships and through offers back and forth to get there.
2) The second row lights are still halogen I don't remember off the top of my head about first row.
4) Def would put premium lol. With regular you're getting less horsepower, and the GX is by no means powerful to begin with. In addition, best to keep it running in tip top shape. Just my $.02
Old 04-07-21, 02:52 PM
kplatinum7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help everyone! When I got to the dealership, I looked at one with the Mark Levinson (a Luxury, which I was never going to buy) and couldn't detect enough of a difference between it and the base system to justify the price. Plus, the Premium w/ Premium Plus package unit I was looking at (which, as far as I can tell, is the only way to get Mark Levinson on the non-Luxury) was already sold.

So then, I decided to go with a Premium with Premium Package and Heated Steering Wheel, and narrowed it down to two. One of them was Starfire Pearl with the Ecru interior and the dark graphite wheels. The other one, a couple grand dearer in price, was Black Onyx with the Rioja Red interior, as well as the Sport Design Package with Captain's Chairs.

Well...I decided to go with the one in the pictures. Bought it off the showroom floor with 8 miles on it. MSRP was $61,765; I got it for $58,900. I think that's an excellent price given market conditions at the moment. The dealership normally would have had 30 GX units; thanks to the silicon chip shortage, they only had six.

The following 9 users liked this post by kplatinum7:
Acrad (04-07-21), Craigyyy (04-28-21), EANX (04-26-21), hzhao (04-07-21), JennK (04-08-21), L3xusGX (04-08-21), ltsr (04-07-21), M4rk (04-09-21), mike995134 (04-11-21) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-21, 03:14 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Great - but what's in the box?

Quick Reply: 2021 Lease/Purchase