GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2021 Lease/Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-20, 09:25 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

1) I`m out of the market for now so no more updates until further notice. Premium plus is like finding a needle in a haystack. The best offer I found was invoice-delivery date incentives on an order. However I doubt that deal is one that can be replicated. If you need one now, TN and CA are your best bet. Premium Plus seem to hover around the 63K mark sticker.

2) Everything else but Lux is 12% off before finance incentives Leases 12% with everything.

3) Luxury is sticker-7% before anything.

4) Inventory issues vary by market. Some dealers will have alot of GX stock, and nothing much of else....good luck with that dealer. Go to the dealer that has a varied lot. 2500 monthly sales, and 1800 unsold vehicles on hold any given day of the month right now.

5) December 2 Remember starts Nov 3 I assume

For those in the market:
53-56K sticker indicates a base GX
57,xxx - 58,xxx sticker indicates a premium only GX
59-61K stickers are premium and Sport design GXs
63k stickers are premium plus
everything past that is Luxury territory
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (10-31-20)
Old 11-02-20, 06:47 PM
qwertykid0
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
1) I`m out of the market for now so no more updates until further notice. Premium plus is like finding a needle in a haystack. The best offer I found was invoice-delivery date incentives on an order. However I doubt that deal is one that can be replicated. If you need one now, TN and CA are your best bet. Premium Plus seem to hover around the 63K mark sticker.

2) Everything else but Lux is 12% off before finance incentives Leases 12% with everything.

3) Luxury is sticker-7% before anything.

4) Inventory issues vary by market. Some dealers will have alot of GX stock, and nothing much of else....good luck with that dealer. Go to the dealer that has a varied lot. 2500 monthly sales, and 1800 unsold vehicles on hold any given day of the month right now.

5) December 2 Remember starts Nov 3 I assume

For those in the market:
53-56K sticker indicates a base GX
57,xxx - 58,xxx sticker indicates a premium only GX
59-61K stickers are premium and Sport design GXs
63k stickers are premium plus
everything past that is Luxury territory
Im in the market now. So when you say 12% off msrp before finance incentives, so a premium GX with Msrp of 59K with a 12% discount = $51.9K. Then add 2K Lexus cash = $49.9K? Then add tax and dealer / title fees to get to final?

just want to make sure I’ve got that right. Tomorrow is Nov 3, so assuming the current 2K or 1.9% financing goes away and we move into December to remember mode.
Old 11-09-20, 06:29 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by qwertykid0
Im in the market now. So when you say 12% off msrp before finance incentives, so a premium GX with Msrp of 59K with a 12% discount = $51.9K. Then add 2K Lexus cash = $49.9K? Then add tax and dealer / title fees to get to final?

just want to make sure I’ve got that right. Tomorrow is Nov 3, so assuming the current 2K or 1.9% financing goes away and we move into December to remember mode.
I got the same impression based on his post but fairly certain it's going to vary depending on the dealership and your location. You can also go to Lexus's page to see the current offers but make sure to read the fine print. For example, their 0% offer is only available in certain states and not on all trims of the GX. It appears it's only available on the base and Luxury trims which seems odd but the dealer I spoke to said it's available on all trims. See below from Lexus' pages on the 2021s. Bottom line, it seems the dealers have the ultimate say on how the incentives are applied.

FINANCE ON SELECT 2021 GX STYLES

SELECT STYLES: 2021 GX 460 LUXURY, 2021 GX 460

60 Monthly Payments of $16.67 per $1,000 Financed. Terms available on approved credit to only very well-qualified customers through participating Lexus dealers and Lexus Financial Services (LFS). The amount and percentage of any down payment vary with your credit qualifications. No down payment required if qualified for advertised offer. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect price. Individual dealer prices, other terms and offers may vary. Must take retail delivery from dealer’s stock and terms subject to vehicle availability. This offer is not compatible with Lexus Cash. See your participating Lexus dealer for details. Offer available in CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, WV; void where prohibited. This offer expires on 11/30/2020. Offers are subject to change throughout the December to Remember Sales Event which ends on 1/04/2021. Lexus Financial Services is a division of Toyota Motor Credit Corporation (TMCC). TMCC is the authorized attorney-in-fact and servicer for Toyota Lease Trust.
Old 11-09-20, 09:03 AM
qwertykid0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
I got the same impression based on his post but fairly certain it's going to vary depending on the dealership and your location. You can also go to Lexus's page to see the current offers but make sure to read the fine print. For example, their 0% offer is only available in certain states and not on all trims of the GX. It appears it's only available on the base and Luxury trims which seems odd but the dealer I spoke to said it's available on all trims. See below from Lexus' pages on the 2021s. Bottom line, it seems the dealers have the ultimate say on how the incentives are applied.

FINANCE ON SELECT 2021 GX STYLES

SELECT STYLES: 2021 GX 460 LUXURY, 2021 GX 460

60 Monthly Payments of $16.67 per $1,000 Financed. Terms available on approved credit to only very well-qualified customers through participating Lexus dealers and Lexus Financial Services (LFS). The amount and percentage of any down payment vary with your credit qualifications. No down payment required if qualified for advertised offer. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect price. Individual dealer prices, other terms and offers may vary. Must take retail delivery from dealer’s stock and terms subject to vehicle availability. This offer is not compatible with Lexus Cash. See your participating Lexus dealer for details. Offer available in CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, WV; void where prohibited. This offer expires on 11/30/2020. Offers are subject to change throughout the December to Remember Sales Event which ends on 1/04/2021. Lexus Financial Services is a division of Toyota Motor Credit Corporation (TMCC). TMCC is the authorized attorney-in-fact and servicer for Toyota Lease Trust.
Thx! I took delivery of a 21 Premium a few days ago. Snagged it at 11% off MSRP of 58K (before tax, title). I didn’t go for their 0% financing and took the 2,500 cash Lexus incentive. So deals of 11-12% off are possible.
The following 2 users liked this post by qwertykid0:
coolsaber (11-09-20), gagrown (02-25-21)
Old 11-09-20, 09:55 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Based on your option to purchase without using LFS objective you correctly interpreted the numbers. The only item I have to warn you of is the dealer fees. Make sure the dealer fees and addons do not negate your savings.

This part is general so excuse me if it feels directed towards you.

Again as I probably should list out in a disclaimer on my posts, I didnt just walk into a dealership, slap the bonnet of GX and yell whose willing to sell me this at the ClubLexus Price. It took a bit of emailing and legwork to find the incentives that applied, and dealerships who were willing to negotiate. And trust me when I say this, alot of dealers absolutely said no way. What I recommend is narrow down a list of GXs and dealers around you that you feel comfortable traveling to and contact each of them for their pricing. Compare each quote and let them compete. Eventually the numbers will settle down to the floor of what a GX can be sold for in that area. Asking for 12% when its the only GX in 200 miles or there are plenty of folks who are willing to pay close to msrp is going to be challenging

If thats something your not interested in doing ("shopping the car over the deal") I`d say walk into a nearest Lexus Plus dealer, Costco/Truecar like service, or even a independent broker and pick up a GX in record time.

Old 11-09-20, 09:56 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Thx! I took delivery of a 21 Premium a few days ago. Snagged it at 11% off MSRP of 58K (before tax, title). I didn’t go for their 0% financing and took the 2,500 cash Lexus incentive. So deals of 11-12% off are possible.
Congrats and welcome to the club!
Old 11-09-20, 10:51 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Good to know. Is the $2500 included in the 11% off? Or did you get 11% + $2500 off? If you don't mind me asking which dealer? Asking only because we're both in PA but if you prefer feel free to just PM me the details. I may end taking the $2500 too depending how negotiations go.
Old 11-09-20, 10:55 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Based on your option to purchase without using LFS objective you correctly interpreted the numbers. The only item I have to warn you of is the dealer fees. Make sure the dealer fees and addons do not negate your savings.

This part is general so excuse me if it feels directed towards you.

Again as I probably should list out in a disclaimer on my posts, I didnt just walk into a dealership, slap the bonnet of GX and yell whose willing to sell me this at the ClubLexus Price. It took a bit of emailing and legwork to find the incentives that applied, and dealerships who were willing to negotiate. And trust me when I say this, alot of dealers absolutely said no way. What I recommend is narrow down a list of GXs and dealers around you that you feel comfortable traveling to and contact each of them for their pricing. Compare each quote and let them compete. Eventually the numbers will settle down to the floor of what a GX can be sold for in that area. Asking for 12% when its the only GX in 200 miles or there are plenty of folks who are willing to pay close to msrp is going to be challenging

If thats something your not interested in doing ("shopping the car over the deal") I`d say walk into a nearest Lexus Plus dealer, Costco/Truecar like service, or even a independent broker and pick up a GX in record time.
I should have read this post first and agree a lot of dealers are simply not negotiating on the price. Especially, if you're like me and want a particular setup and not necessarily what's on the lot. However, there are some out there that are more than willing to work with you so it's not impossible. Sound advice either way!
qwertykid0 (11-19-20)
Old 11-13-20, 12:21 PM
JasonJi
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's December to Rember. It should be a good time to buy. But very few people post their GX460 purchasing experience here. I guess people are not satisfied with current $2500 rebate, just like me.
The following 2 users liked this post by JasonJi:
coolsaber (11-14-20), qwertykid0 (11-19-20)
Old 11-16-20, 06:12 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JasonJi
It's December to Remember. It should be a good time to buy. But very few people post their GX460 purchasing experience here. I guess people are not satisfied with current $2500 rebate, just like me.
Well, this is the time of year where a lot of incentives are offered across the entire auto industry which is traditionally done to clear out old model years. Those incentives vary greatly depending on vehicle type, brand and geographic location of the purchase. The GX is a Luxury SUV so I would venture to guess most shopping this brand are comparing it to other Luxury segments where prices may not be too much of a concern. The incentives are nice and don't get me wrong everyone loves a good deal but I'd think those in the luxury market are not overly concerned about the cost ( a couple thousand here or there) of vehicles within their budget. That said, most luxury brands are over priced for what they are but you have to decide if the value is there for you personally to pay the asking price or close to it. Unfortunately, a LOT of people pay close to MSRP for all kinds of reasons and in doing so set the tone for what incentives are offered if any at all. I'm just grateful to live in a state where the incentives are in fact offered even if it's on a time limited bases. On a side note, are you sure the $2500 is the better option for you over the 0%? The devil is in the details so it's important to run the numbers to make sure you're getting the most for your money. For example, I would not take the $2500 off if you're financing the remaining balance at a rate that costs more than $2500 in interest. Just food for thought but good luck with your decision either way.
The following 2 users liked this post by L3xusGX:
mike995134 (11-18-20), qwertykid0 (11-19-20)
Old 11-18-20, 07:16 PM
mike995134
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

I totally agree. And one must always be aware of the demand in the local market and what the dealer has in inventory. I bought my 2020 Premium w/Sport package two months ago from a dealer who typcially has 6-8 GXs in stock at any given time, but they sell theough those rather quickly and so they don’t have much incentive to cut a super deal. Timing, inventory and location are really important.
qwertykid0 (11-19-20)
Old 11-19-20, 07:45 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mike995134
I totally agree. And one must always be aware of the demand in the local market and what the dealer has in inventory. I bought my 2020 Premium w/Sport package two months ago from a dealer who typically has 6-8 GXs in stock at any given time, but they sell those rather quickly and so they don’t have much incentive to cut a super deal. Timing, inventory and location are really important.
Absolutely, and getting any dealer to special order one is near impossible (I've tried with no luck yet) so you may need to compromise on your requirements. I've also noticed that the typical west coast inventory differs from the east coast. I contemplated flying out west to get something closer to my wants but have decided against it for now as driving 1,000s of miles back doesn't seem worth it. You'd think in 2020 that Lexus and Toyota as a whole would allow customers to order whatever they want within reason but it appears they still pigeon hold you into the same basic builds. For example, if you want captain chairs in the 2nd row you have to go with the Sport Package or Luxury Trim or live with a bench seat in the other trims. To be fair, I did go to a Toyota dealership while crossing shopping the Limited 4Runner and they said no problem ordering whatever I wanted provided you're willing to wait. Anyhow, your mileage may vary but I may settle here based on timing alone.
qwertykid0 (11-19-20)
Old 11-19-20, 08:02 AM
qwertykid0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
Well, this is the time of year where a lot of incentives are offered across the entire auto industry which is traditionally done to clear out old model years. Those incentives vary greatly depending on vehicle type, brand and geographic location of the purchase. The GX is a Luxury SUV so I would venture to guess most shopping this brand are comparing it to other Luxury segments where prices may not be too much of a concern. The incentives are nice and don't get me wrong everyone loves a good deal but I'd think those in the luxury market are not overly concerned about the cost ( a couple thousand here or there) of vehicles within their budget. That said, most luxury brands are over priced for what they are but you have to decide if the value is there for you personally to pay the asking price or close to it. Unfortunately, a LOT of people pay close to MSRP for all kinds of reasons and in doing so set the tone for what incentives are offered if any at all. I'm just grateful to live in a state where the incentives are in fact offered even if it's on a time limited bases. On a side note, are you sure the $2500 is the better option for you over the 0%? The devil is in the details so it's important to run the numbers to make sure you're getting the most for your money. For example, I would not take the $2500 off if you're financing the remaining balance at a rate that costs more than $2500 in interest. Just food for thought but good luck with your decision either way.
You are exactly spot-on. At this price point $50K-$70K, many clientele are not overly focused on cost. At some point, it's not worth the hassle to try to nickel and dime for every last dollar. No one is forcing you to buy the vehicle at a stated price, so the customer just needs to feel comfortable that they're getting the commensurate value for the money. Value can take many forms including not having to haggle or having a seamless purchase experience Everyone has the free choice to vote with their wallet and to price shop, so it's wise to do that upfront of course to make sure you're not overly spending.

Food for thought - many other industries, there is a set price on a product and item. We don't ask about the original invoice cost or trying to get a discount on the retail price. For example, if I go to Costco and I see an item -- I will comparison-shop and then in general take the price at face value without negotiating. All businesses need to cover their cost of goods, staff, building, supply chain, et al. Why would a dealer by any different? Now, a different question might be "what is a fair mark-up and margin to be had on an individual good." Again, we don't ask that or look to negotiate a better "deal" every time I purchase a gallon of milk. We look at the price, we benchmark relative to past and perhaps other stores, and then we say should I get this or not. If the price is too high, I'll go somewhere else and the retailer/dealer will need to figure out what's the fair market price in which they can both (1) sustain a reasonable margin and (2) drive sufficient volume, all relative to their cost structure.

Long story short, I did a fair amount of research and I was able to get 11% off MSRP before TTL (the 11% includes a $2,500 cash incentive) on a 2021 GX Premium. Did I get taken? Maybe, maybe not. I felt comfortable with the pricing relative to the price testing emails I sent to different dealers and the fact that it was on the lot in the exact color scheme and options I wanted. I took almost a year to buy this GX460, started researching last year in late 2019, covid hit so I paused stuff, then wanted to wait for the 2021 models to hit the showroom. Once I found one I liked that was on the lot (hard to find), I wanted to move quickly vs. spending more and more time haggling, researching. (God knows my wife just wanted me to buy the darn thing after thinking everyday about it for a year). So in the end, life is short, in the long-run we're all dead anyway, so instead should enjoy the time we have with family and friends, give back to others and the community, and if you love a particular car/SUV and can make the economics work for your own balance sheet, then go for it! Good luck everyone!
mike995134 (11-22-20)
Old 11-19-20, 03:00 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

You are exactly spot-on. At this price point $50K-$70K, many clientele are not overly focused on cost. At some point, it's not worth the hassle to try to nickel and dime for every last dollar. No one is forcing you to buy the vehicle at a stated price, so the customer just needs to feel comfortable that they're getting the commensurate value for the money. Value can take many forms including not having to haggle or having a seamless purchase experience Everyone has the free choice to vote with their wallet and to price shop, so it's wise to do that upfront of course to make sure you're not overly spending.

Food for thought - many other industries, there is a set price on a product and item. We don't ask about the original invoice cost or trying to get a discount on the retail price. For example, if I go to Costco and I see an item -- I will comparison-shop and then in general take the price at face value without negotiating. All businesses need to cover their cost of goods, staff, building, supply chain, et al. Why would a dealer by any different? Now, a different question might be "what is a fair mark-up and margin to be had on an individual good." Again, we don't ask that or look to negotiate a better "deal" every time I purchase a gallon of milk. We look at the price, we benchmark relative to past and perhaps other stores, and then we say should I get this or not. If the price is too high, I'll go somewhere else and the retailer/dealer will need to figure out what's the fair market price in which they can both (1) sustain a reasonable margin and (2) drive sufficient volume, all relative to their cost structure.

Long story short, I did a fair amount of research and I was able to get 11% off MSRP before TTL (the 11% includes a $2,500 cash incentive) on a 2021 GX Premium. Did I get taken? Maybe, maybe not. I felt comfortable with the pricing relative to the price testing emails I sent to different dealers and the fact that it was on the lot in the exact color scheme and options I wanted. I took almost a year to buy this GX460, started researching last year in late 2019, covid hit so I paused stuff, then wanted to wait for the 2021 models to hit the showroom. Once I found one I liked that was on the lot (hard to find), I wanted to move quickly vs. spending more and more time haggling, researching. (God knows my wife just wanted me to buy the darn thing after thinking everyday about it for a year). So in the end, life is short, in the long-run we're all dead anyway, so instead should enjoy the time we have with family and friends, give back to others and the community, and if you love a particular car/SUV and can make the economics work for your own balance sheet, then go for it! Good luck everyone!
I agree with your post. I just want to give a different perspective: people (including me) negotiate for the best price at the dealerships is because there is NO set price. If they do set their own non-haggle pricing like Carmax and follow thru, then nobody would negotiate.

If the dealerships want to maximize their profits at customer's expenses, then the customers also want to minimize their expenses. Cars are expenses.

Most of us can comfortably afford the GX, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't want to save our $ for something else. I am not on the extreme side where I'd want the best possible deal. I want a deal that make both parties happy. My general recipe for car shopping is: Invoice - rebates + TTL + ($500 to $1000). I don't generally buy new released cars, that recipe seems to work for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by hadokenuh:
coolsaber (11-19-20), qwertykid0 (11-19-20)
Old 11-19-20, 03:29 PM
qwertykid0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I agree with your post. I just want to give a different perspective: people (including me) negotiate for the best price at the dealerships is because there is NO set price. If they do set their own non-haggle pricing like Carmax and follow thru, then nobody would negotiate.

If the dealerships want to maximize their profits at customer's expenses, then the customers also want to minimize their expenses. Cars are expenses.

Most of us can comfortably afford the GX, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't want to save our $ for something else. I am not on the extreme side where I'd want the best possible deal. I want a deal that make both parties happy. My general recipe for car shopping is: Invoice - rebates + TTL + ($500 to $1000). I don't generally buy new released cars, that recipe seems to work for me.
Fully agree with your post. Particularly in getting to a win/win deal. That’s what it’s all about. Mutual wins.
The following 2 users liked this post by qwertykid0:
hadokenuh (11-19-20), mike995134 (11-22-20)

Quick Reply: 2021 Lease/Purchase