ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023-219/)
-   -   265/65/18 tires (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023/911358-265-65-18-tires.html)

Madtiger 02-11-19 07:05 AM

265/65/18 tires

I have no plan on getting anything bigger than this size. Quick questions:

1. Does it rub at extreme steering angles? And when fully compress?

2. Does it fit under in the spare tire area?

I understand that it will slightly affect the speedometer and mileage.

CobraSpdRH 02-11-19 07:25 AM

I can tell you it doesn't rub at all, at least for my 265/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

I didn't replace the spare so can't comment on that.

GoHuskers 02-11-19 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by CobraSpdRH (Post 10436669)
I can tell you it doesn't rub at all, at least for my 265/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

I didn't replace the spare so can't comment on that.

I also have 265.65.18 Defender LTX and it fits perfec, no rubbing whatsoever. I didn't replace the spare so I can comment.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...cacfb43003.jpg

ASE 02-11-19 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by GoHuskers (Post 10436684)
I also have 265.65.18 Defender LTX and it fits perfec, no rubbing whatsoever. I didn't replace the spare so I can comment.

+1 on the Michelin’s ... fills out the wheel well perfectly with absolutely no rubbing. Did not replace spare ... figured spare would only be used for short distance where air-down would address any issues if absolutely necessary ... we’re only talking a 1/2” difference.

Madtiger 02-11-19 08:37 AM

I want to replace spare because difference in diameter may be problematic for VSC......and if you’re off-roading and have CRAWL, then that can really screw up CRAWL i think.

Airpirate 02-12-19 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10436645)
I have no plan on getting anything bigger than this size. Quick questions:

1. Does it rub at extreme steering angles? And when fully compress?

2. Does it fit under in the spare tire area?

I understand that it will slightly affect the speedometer and mileage.

My KO2's in that size don't rub. My guess is that these would fit in the spare location, but I can't confirm.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...be2e30a296.jpg

Madtiger 02-12-19 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Airpirate (Post 10437638)
My KO2's in that size don't rub. My guess is that these would fit in the spare location, but I can't confirm.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...be2e30a296.jpg

Very nice looking!! I would love KO2 but i am afraid of its Load Range E...and 51 lbs per tire. How’s the ride compare to stock? Gas mileage?

Madtiger 02-12-19 06:16 AM

Anyone have Continental TerrainContact AT?? I know that these are “mild” AT tires but from TireRack reviews, they are excellent dual purpose tires. I spend most of my time on-road/highway.

MCDavis 02-12-19 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10437696)
Anyone have Continental TerrainContact AT?? I know that these are “mild” AT tires but from TireRack reviews, they are excellent dual purpose tires. I spend most of my time on-road/highway.

No experience with that specific tire, but I've not been overly impressed with the Conti's I've had on other vehicles...usually the OEM offering.

The best highway tire with some offroad use is hands down the Michelin Defender LTX (previously the LTX M/S2)

Madtiger 02-12-19 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by MCDavis (Post 10437727)
No experience with that specific tire, but I've not been overly impressed with the Conti's I've had on other vehicles...usually the OEM offering.

The best highway tire with some offroad use is hands down the Michelin Defender LTX (previously the LTX M/S2)

Are the Defenders quiet??

GoHuskers 02-12-19 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10437731)

a little louder than latitude but better in any other categories. Hopefully it will last longer than the 31k miles I got from my Latitude.

Airpirate 02-12-19 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10437690)

Very nice looking!! I would love KO2 but i am afraid of its Load Range E...and 51 lbs per tire. How’s the ride compare to stock? Gas mileage?

I have carefully documented my mileage, and it is running around 15 in town and 20 at 65mph on the freeway. 19 above 65mph. Therefore, whatever penalty exists with the KO2's must be minimal. These tires are noisier than the stock Pirelli tires, but not by much. I don't mind the tire noise at all, considering the improved look and traction.

MCDavis 02-12-19 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10437731)

That's one of their pro's...stupidly quiet actually, and they roll forever. Very little rolling resistance for what they are. They shed water like crazy, and since they're so heavily siped they do well in the snow/ice too.

Originally Posted by GoHuskers (Post 10437744)
a little louder than latitude but better in any other categories. Hopefully it will last longer than the 31k miles I got from my Latitude.

I think the Defender is warrantied to 60-70k miles depending on the tire size.

situman 02-12-19 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by MCDavis (Post 10437815)
That's one of their pro's...stupidly quiet actually, and they roll forever. Very little rolling resistance for what they are. They shed water like crazy, and since they're so heavily siped they do well in the snow/ice too.

I think the Defender is warrantied to 60-70k miles depending on the tire size.

They are also heavy too! 40 something pounds each per Tirerack! I may go for the Premier LTX, but apparently they wear terribly.

Madtiger 02-12-19 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by situman (Post 10437907)
They are also heavy too! 40 something pounds each per Tirerack! I may go for the Premier LTX, but apparently they wear terribly.

It’s 38-39 lbs or so. Have you seen BFG KO2??!! They are like 51 lbs! :D. Defenders are lightweight compared to that!

Madtiger 02-12-19 09:50 AM

My ONLY complaint about Michelin tires is that they are boring looking!! No fancy treads. No fancy sidewall. I kinda like Michelin AT2 but i had them long time ago and they were somewhat noisy...and also does not come in any good sizes for GX. But at least AT2 looks somewhat interesting next to Defender. Yes, i am superficial. :D

MCDavis 02-12-19 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10437938)
My ONLY complaint about Michelin tires is that they are boring looking!! No fancy treads. No fancy sidewall. I kinda like Michelin AT2 but i had them long time ago and they were somewhat noisy...and also does not come in any good sizes for GX. But at least AT2 looks somewhat interesting next to Defender. Yes, i am superficial. :D

There's always a trade off.
The Coopers look good for what they are.

ASE 02-12-19 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10437938)

Michelin Defender LTX will easily run 60,000 miles ... and are a great performing tire ... almost as good as a dedicated winter tire, with excellent dry handling. Yes, they look boring ... but cannot argue with performance and wear. Yes heavier, but the extra (LTX) plies account for the weight, and do improve handling and steering response given the stiffer sidewall. Most passenger rated alternatives have a steering response that lean in the direction of riding on water balloons.

Madtiger 02-12-19 01:29 PM

The weirdest thing about you guys (me being new member)...none of you guys replaced the spare??? So, no one here has used upsized tire in the spare location?

bbqsoup 02-12-19 01:48 PM

For the differences between 265/60/18 and 265/65/18, it won't matter much if you only drive it a short distance in an emergency. If it's a concern, you can also drop some air out of the 265/65 and it could work as well.

If you go 2 sizes up, then yes a matching spare would be nice.

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10438147)
The weirdest thing about you guys (me being new member)...none of you guys replaced the spare??? So, no one here has used upsized tire in the spare location?

ASE 02-12-19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by bbqsoup (Post 10438170)
For the differences between 265/60/18 and 265/65/18, it won't matter much if you only drive it a short distance in an emergency. If it's a concern, you can also drop some air out of the 265/65 and it could work as well.

+1 ... in 35-years, I have never had a spare touch the earth ... so for a 1/2" difference, why spend the money when airing-down the taller tire and airing-up the shorter tire is perfectly acceptable to get home.

Madtiger 02-12-19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ASE (Post 10438298)
+1 ... in 35-years, I have never had a spare touch the earth ... so for a 1/2" difference, why spend the money when airing-down the taller tire and airing-up the shorter tire is perfectly acceptable to get home.

Strangely, my wife managed to get a gash on the sidewall of a tire TWICE within past 5 years.

For me, i am driving my car around 100 highway miles everyday...so, a flat in the middle of that trip would suck royally. And airing down or pumping up etc. will be PIA and certainly would not want VSC or ATRAC to fire off and create wear and tear on brakes...if not instability.

Madtiger 02-12-19 06:17 PM

Unless you're rocking BFG AT KO2 (deep tread and tough 3-ply sidewall), off-roading without a spare of same size is also not a wise idea. And especially if you have to rely on CRAWL and one of your tire is off...even by 1/2".

CanadaGX 02-12-19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10438453)
Unless you're rocking BFG AT KO2 (deep tread and tough 3-ply sidewall), off-roading without a spare of same size is also not a wise idea. And especially if you have to rely on CRAWL and one of your tire is off...even by 1/2".

If you are off roading, and had to put on a spare...just don't turn on CRAWL! Drive home slowly, and fix your tire.

I've never had to put on my spare. I've had flats, but roadside patch and pump keep me moving.

Madtiger 02-13-19 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by CanadaGX (Post 10438506)
If you are off roading, and had to put on a spare...just don't turn on CRAWL! Drive home slowly, and fix your tire.

I've never had to put on my spare. I've had flats, but roadside patch and pump keep me moving.

What if it fails at the worst time...in the middle of nowhere or off-road field where you need CRAWL to get out? Or what if it fails the beginning of the trip? You have to then limp home and the fun is ruined for you (and maybe your group).

I am just very cautious...overly cautious! :D FYI, i do have some off-roading experience (rock crawling, etc.). This is why i am so anal with spare tires! LOL

caesosa 02-13-19 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10438649)
What if it fails at the worst time...in the middle of nowhere or off-road field where you need CRAWL to get out? Or what if it fails the beginning of the trip? You have to then limp home and the fun is ruined for you (and maybe your group).

I am just very cautious...overly cautious! :D FYI, i do have some off-roading experience (rock crawling, etc.). This is why i am so anal with spare tires! LOL

i agree. The spare should match the others. If price is a concern, honestly, I would find the cheapest Chinese tire in the size and mount that in the spare where it may never see the road. You could probably do that for under $100 in comparison to the $150-200 you would spend on the others.

Madtiger 02-13-19 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by caesosa (Post 10438724)

i agree. The spare should match the others. If price is a concern, honestly, I would find the cheapest Chinese tire in the size and mount that in the spare where it may never see the road. You could probably do that for under $100 in comparison to the $150-200 you would spend on the others.

Agree 100%. Get a cheap spare.......but it must have same diameter as the other 4. You can even get a slimmer tire (may help in clearance angles) but must be same diameter.

Yona 02-13-19 10:47 AM

Here is another 265/65/18 tire from Michelin.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...imacy-ltx.html

2012GX460 02-13-19 12:12 PM

What am I missing?
What's the difference if you go to the 265/65/18 BFG and if you have to use the spare that came with the truck?
You're not changing wheels.
Wouldn't that be the same, as a passenger car using those little donut spare tires?

Madtiger 02-13-19 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2012GX460 (Post 10439090)
What am I missing?
What's the difference if you go to the 265/65/18 BFG and if you have to use the spare that came with the truck?
You're not changing wheels.
Wouldn't that be the same, as a passenger car using those little donut spare tires?

Your rims are the same but your tire diameter changed.

265/60/18 = 30.5”

265/65/18 = 31.5”

See: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r18-265-65r18

VSC, ATRAC, and CRAWL works by comparing wheel speed differences among the wheels. So, if one wheel is smaller (spare tire for instance) than the other 3, then that creates speed differences with the smaller tire spinning faster than the others. VSC/ATRAC/CRAWL programming will think that the smaller faster spinning tire is “slipping” and will use brakes to slow down that “slipping” wheel. In the case of VSC/ATRAC, this can create instability on the highway as one tire is being braked for no reason. At low speeds, it is probably OK with VSC and ATRAC. But higher speeds (highway), it may become an issue.

With CRAWL, even at low speeds, it may affect. CRAWL is a super aggressive traction control that basically stops any spinning tire to push torque as fast as possible to the tire with traction...to create as close to an axle locker effect as possible. Because it is so sensitive to speed differences b/w the tires, this can create a situation where one tire will be braked and torque being sent to the other wheel (on same axle) unexpectedly, which then leads to your vehicle being forced to one side (like off a cliff! LOL).

Remember, rim size does NOT mean tire size.

As for donuts...all donuts have the SAME diameter as the OEM tires. It is just skinny. But diameter is same on all modern vehicles with stability and traction control. Tire width is NOT an issue with these electronic nannies. It is the DIAMETER of the whole tire that is important.

2012GX460 02-13-19 12:38 PM

Ask and you shall receive, thanks for the information!

ASE 02-14-19 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10439104)

Your rims are the same but your tire diameter changed.

265/60/18 = 30.5”

265/65/18 = 31.5”

See: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r18-265-65r18

VSC, ATRAC, and CRAWL works by comparing wheel speed differences among the wheels. So, if one wheel is smaller (spare tire for instance) than the other 3, then that creates speed differences with the smaller tire spinning faster than the others. VSC/ATRAC/CRAWL programming will think that the smaller faster spinning tire is “slipping” and will use brakes to slow down that “slipping” wheel. In the case of VSC/ATRAC, this can create instability on the highway as one tire is being braked for no reason. At low speeds, it is probably OK with VSC and ATRAC. But higher speeds (highway), it may become an issue.

With CRAWL, even at low speeds, it may affect. CRAWL is a super aggressive traction control that basically stops any spinning tire to push torque as fast as possible to the tire with traction...to create as close to an axle locker effect as possible. Because it is so sensitive to speed differences b/w the tires, this can create a situation where one tire will be braked and torque being sent to the other wheel (on same axle) unexpectedly, which then leads to your vehicle being forced to one side (like off a cliff! LOL).

Remember, rim size does NOT mean tire size.

As for donuts...all donuts have the SAME diameter as the OEM tires. It is just skinny. But diameter is same on all modern vehicles with stability and traction control. Tire width is NOT an issue with these electronic nannies. It is the DIAMETER of the whole tire that is important.

Good information ... but how sensitive are these interventions with 1/2" difference in rolling radius ? ... and if this difference is "adjusted" by going (as an example) 5-psi down on the 265-65 and 5-psi up on the 265-60 tire(s) ? ... again, just to "get home" and not for distance ?

Madtiger 02-14-19 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ASE (Post 10440061)
Good information ... but how sensitive are these interventions with 1/2" difference in rolling radius ? ... and if this difference is "adjusted" by going (as an example) 5-psi down on the 265-65 and 5-psi up on the 265-60 tire(s) ? ... again, just to "get home" and not for distance ?

My question back to you is.......why risk it? Why guess it? Are you sure 5-psi is all you need?

What if you cannot go to tire shop that same day? What if you have to drive a long way back that night? What if you want to continue on your trip instead of killing off your vacation?

Just buy a cheap ass spare in the same size as your other tires and put it down there. Of course, this does require that the size that you pick fit under your GX in the spare compartment, which is why i ask this question at the beginning.

I am 90% sure that i will go with 265/65/18 but i will only go to this size IF the spare tire compartment allows it.

ASE 02-14-19 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10440066)

My question back to you is.......why risk it? Why guess it? Are you sure 5-psi is all you need?

What if you cannot go to tire shop that same day? What if you have to drive a long way back that night? What if you want to continue on your trip instead of killing off your vacation?

Just buy a cheap ass spare in the same size as your other tires and put it down there. Of course, this does require that the size that you pick fit under your GX in the spare compartment, which is why i ask this question at the beginning.

I am 90% sure that i will go with 265/65/18 but i will only go to this size IF the spare tire compartment allows it.

My operative point is "to get home" ... if you are otherwise motivated, I agree with your argument. The 265/60 spare is TIGHT ... so 265-65 is probably a no-go in my opinion, but have not tired. I do know that my GX470 would not take a 265/70-17 in the spare location.

Madtiger 02-14-19 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ASE (Post 10440103)
My operative point is "to get home" ... if you are otherwise motivated, I agree with your argument. The 265/60 spare is TIGHT ... so 265-65 is probably a no-go in my opinion, but have not tired. I do know that my GX470 would not take a 265/70-17 in the spare location.

Ah ok...damn, i have to stick with stock size then. :(

caesosa 02-14-19 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Madtiger (Post 10440108)

Ah ok...damn, i have to stick with stock size then. :(

Madriger, do you have a trailer hitch? If so, which one?

when I installed the curt (with stock size tire) it took about an inch of usable spare tire size. There is still some room left for a slightly bigger tire (1” max!!).

if you don’t have a hitch you can probably upgrade the size with no issue.

This is may not be relevant, however, on my 100 series land cruiser I went from the stock 275/70R16 to a 275/65R18 (which is a full inch taller) with no issues. I think it’s worth a try on the GX.

Madtiger 02-15-19 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by caesosa (Post 10440529)

Madriger, do you have a trailer hitch? If so, which one?

when I installed the curt (with stock size tire) it took about an inch of usable spare tire size. There is still some room left for a slightly bigger tire (1” max!!).

if you don’t have a hitch you can probably upgrade the size with no issue.

This is may not be relevant, however, on my 100 series land cruiser I went from the stock 275/70R16 to a 275/65R18 (which is a full inch taller) with no issues. I think it’s worth a try on the GX.

I have the Lexus hitch.

Acrad 02-15-19 03:39 AM

Probably not an issue with sizes listed here but I think differing tire size issues are more related to potential damage to torsen CD. This seems to be an issue with many if not all full time mechanical AWD systems. Remember TPMS monitors spare as well

Madtiger 02-15-19 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Acrad35751 (Post 10440590)
Probably not an issue with sizes listed here but I think differing tire size issues are more related to potential damage to torsen CD. This seems to be an issue with many if not all full time mechanical AWD systems. Remember TPMS monitors spare as well

Torsen center diff allows speed differences between front and rear axle; thus you can make turns around a corner......except when it’s locked. So minor speed differences should not do any damage to Torsen center diff (unless locked). For me, the main concern is how VSC/ATRAC/CRAWL reacts to speed differences between wheels on the SAME axle.

Acrad 02-15-19 06:21 AM

I should have clarified running a different size spare tire is not a good thing for an extended period.

perhaps damage issues only occur to viscous coupling setups in other automakers though?