GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission Failure or Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 04:44 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I ran ECO -4 a couple of weeks ago during a stretch of heavy commute traffic ranging from full stop to 30-35mph for about 15 miles. Normally during similar traffic, by watching the Mileage after Refuel number, it drops from a the usual 16.x mpg to 15 and sometimes 14 if stopped for too long. However, for the whole 15 miles or so with ECO -4, it stayed above 16 mpg.

When traffic was back to 70-75mph I don't see significant improvement like it was at slower traffic. Which makes sense to me since if it needs that much gas to maintain 70mph, it'd use the the same amount of gas regardless at which mode to keep it at 70mph. But at slow speed with constantly accelerate and decelerate it really helped by not using too much gas.
Old 01-08-19, 05:09 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 838 Likes on 581 Posts

Just in case some current or future viewers here don't know how we got on the Pedal Commander conversation,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...orsepower.html
The following users liked this post:
Yona (01-08-19)
Old 01-09-19, 05:04 AM
brian4l
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait, are we talking about the ECO light? All that light does it tell you how hard you're stepping on the gas, nothing else. Or am I missing something? What's Pedal Commander?
Old 01-09-19, 06:31 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by brian4l
Does it happen when you press the brake?

It's normal. The transmission downshifts if you tap the brake pedal, normally on a slope but I've noticed it on a flat surface as well.
It also happens during light and constant pedal pressure. Never had a Lexus transmission shift like this before, but then this is my first BOF truck.
Old 01-09-19, 06:37 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Just in case some current or future viewers here don't know how we got on the Pedal Commander conversation,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...orsepower.html
Yea I'm aware of this, but does it void the warranty? I'm leasing the thing and I intend for it to be serviced at a Lexus dealership, at least for the first 2 free service.

So it sounds like it is "normal" and my tranny wont take a dump on me, that's both good and bad I suppose. It didnt feel this way the first 2 months I had the thing then noticed it on a snowstorm moving slowly on the highway. Perhaps I was babying the first couple of weeks and started dipping deeper into the throttle for more power and the transmission "learned" my new behavior.
Old 01-11-19, 07:11 AM
malikd2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus GX 460 Transmission Failed!!!

I bought the vehicle from Lexus of Englewood NJ CPO in April of 2017 and it sounded like it received the same treatment as a new vehicle as the dealership would lead you to believe. First let me say I own a Ford van (2005), a Mercedes Diesel van (2006), I've own an Acura MDX (2003), several Mercury vehicles (2006-2007) and several others a can't think of at the moment and I have to say this is the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Since owning it It's basically lived at the Lexus service center:
  1. Front passenger side window actuator failed (5 days)
  2. A seat belt was installed backwards (1 day)
  3. Check engine light comes on all the time (9 days)
  4. Drive mode selection fails to register (11 days)
  5. Manual shift hardly ever works (4 days)
  6. Rust on almost every visible bolt (My pain)
  7. And the major headache - I can't leave the car outside in the rain because the passenger side foot area floods like crazy. They've replaced the sun roof, the windshield, the drain pipes and a few other things I can't think of at the moment. (2 weeks)

When I went to Lexus to purchase the vehicle oddly enough the check engine light came on as soon as I started the car but went away about 5 minutes into the test drive. It drove smooth, shifted properly, no rattling and all seemed fine. I asked about the check engine light and was told it was because it was sitting outside for a while, I insisted that they check the codes and make sure all is well!

Trust me I did my research before buying this particular model and I love how it looks and drives. I drive the Prado in Africa all the time and that thing is a beast.

So now it's about to get a new transmission and I'm at a lost, should I get rid of it after they replace it?

Please help!!!
Old 01-11-19, 07:53 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

sorry to hear that there are so many problems with an CPO.
wondering if you did a pre-purchase inspection?
Old 01-11-19, 08:33 AM
brian4l
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Holy cow. Did you look at a carfax, chance is was salvaged? Seriously, GX's don't have all those problems. I bought my 2011 1.5 years ago with 104k. I have had Zero issues. Matter of fact I owned a 1994 ES300 with 210K, no major issues. This is off. Call Lexus North America and see if they can offer assistance. Do that today.
Old 01-11-19, 09:07 AM
malikd2000
Driver School Candidate

It came off of a lease and the carfax looked good, I am covered so it won't cost me, I'm just not feeling good about the car at the moment.

8. I also forgot to mention the transfer case leak (10 days)

Would you keep it at this point?
Old 01-11-19, 09:15 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 733 Likes on 518 Posts

You've got a real outlier compared to the rest of us. If it is a CPO and Lexus will pay for everything, I think I would keep it and let them continue to fix it. This will also depend on your dealer... if you have a dealer that is willing and EAGER to fix and address these issues then you are good. If your dealer drags their feet or tries to deny claims, then you're going to have a problem.

Honestly though, it sounds like it was a lemon, in a major collision, or possibly flooded? While CPO is great, sometimes it comes down to the dealer about how thorough they are in the initial inspection. Some dealers are eager to slap the "CPO" designation on the vehicle in order to charge more money when in fact, they just did the minimum in order to flip it.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (01-11-19)
Old 01-11-19, 09:31 AM
malikd2000
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice, they are quick to fix things. It's odd the transmission seemed okay to me just would not show the fact that I put it in drive on the display then the check engine light would come on.

There is certainly no major rust, just close inspections of screws near the top rear door shows slight rust.
Old 01-11-19, 09:39 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 733 Likes on 518 Posts

The one that really stands out is the installation of the seatbelt. This shouldn't have been like this from the factory, so I wonder if a body shop may have done this?
Old 01-11-19, 10:04 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

It sounds like you got a GX that's been previously molested and slapped on a CPO label on it. I would let lexus fix everything you come across during your ownership and get rid of it when the warranty runs out. If the issues are too much and you find the vehicle in the shop more often than on the road, maybe it's time to ditch it.

The vehicle is a CPO, I would not have cared for a PPI since to me, that's what CPO means plus a warranty.
Old 01-11-19, 10:16 AM
malikd2000
Driver School Candidate

I may upgrade to a new GX 460 once they button everything up, I feel like a king in this thing!

The NX loaner I have by the way is making me feel real average at the moment, I can't live like this, LOL!
Old 01-11-19, 10:18 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by malikd2000
I may upgrade to a new GX 460 once they button everything up, I feel like a king in this thing!

The NX loaner I have by the way is making me feel real average at the moment, I can't live like this, LOL!
We are a spoiled bunch for sure. I got an NX loaner last week as well. Good luck on the repairs. It would be nice if you can share the invoice with us with your transmission repair.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure or Issues