GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 12:39 PM
Rhinetom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag What Lexus will do for me

Northpark Lexus, San Antonio will provide me a midsized loaner car. My 2011 GX460 will have to sit parked in my garage for the duration. Mileage will be recorded per the rental agreement. I mentioned that we use our GX on weekends to haul our boat to the lake, they said sorry and I could file a claim if I wanted. Unsure what to do at this point, I sure don't like the idea of my GX sitting for up to 6 months.
Old 08-03-16, 07:09 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhinetom
Northpark Lexus, San Antonio will provide me a midsized loaner car. My 2011 GX460 will have to sit parked in my garage for the duration. Mileage will be recorded per the rental agreement. I mentioned that we use our GX on weekends to haul our boat to the lake, they said sorry and I could file a claim if I wanted. Unsure what to do at this point, I sure don't like the idea of my GX sitting for up to 6 months.
Should probably just keep it. Driving this little rental is alright but it's nowhere near as nice as my GX. Except for the infotainment system which is lightyears better than what we've got.

However if you make a fuss or put in a claim I bet they would get you something bigger. I think the tow rating on this Rav4 is about 1,500 lbs I'm pretty sure Toyota rents Tacomas and Tundras but they also might be able to source you a pickup from a 3rd party like enterprise.

Old 08-30-16, 04:40 PM
GXdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In my loaner

My Lexus dealer said they would provide me with a rental from a nearby Enterprise dealership. The allowance was basically enough to cover the cost of a "full size" rental or small SUV. The rental agency worked with me and I ended up with a Ford Explorer....not quite the Lexus, but impressive on the technology front. Of course when I got the rental, I also signed away the Lexus and it is now relegated to gathering dust in my garage.

The interaction with Lexus was interesting. Originally an individual responsible for the recall locally, called me and said it would be a "few months" before a replacement airbag is available; however, when I went into the dealership and met with my normal Service Adviser, I asked about the expected time frame and he said I should plan on "at least five months". They are being told the first of the year. At least I can plan accordingly and cancel my XM radio, etc.

This is an extraordinarily wide spread problem, but it seems Lexus is doing a decent job of managing it.
Old 08-31-16, 01:16 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by GXdriver
My Lexus dealer said they would provide me with a rental from a nearby Enterprise dealership. The allowance was basically enough to cover the cost of a "full size" rental or small SUV. The rental agency worked with me and I ended up with a Ford Explorer....not quite the Lexus, but impressive on the technology front. Of course when I got the rental, I also signed away the Lexus and it is now relegated to gathering dust in my garage.

The interaction with Lexus was interesting. Originally an individual responsible for the recall locally, called me and said it would be a "few months" before a replacement airbag is available; however, when I went into the dealership and met with my normal Service Adviser, I asked about the expected time frame and he said I should plan on "at least five months". They are being told the first of the year. At least I can plan accordingly and cancel my XM radio, etc.

This is an extraordinarily wide spread problem, but it seems Lexus is doing a decent job of managing it.
Better change that username to ExplorerDriver

Yeah initially it was "two or three months" but by the time I was actually going to get the rental it was "possibly six months."

The new Explorers are pretty nice these days. Toyota rental says they have to swap me into a different vehicle after 90 days. I'm going to push for a Highlander next time.
Old 09-20-16, 03:50 PM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Takata Airbags in 2017 GX460

So if you buy an early production 2017 GX460 make sure you have a deal to get the airbags replaced before accepting. What a way to kill sales.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...bags/89233386/

Despite more than 28 million Takata airbag inflators being recalled in the U.S., some automakers are still using them in new cars.

These are bags with propellant known to degrade over time, which can lead to the airbags rupturing at excessive force in a crash and spewing the car's occupants with shrapnel. So far, 10 people in the U.S. have died as a result of these ruptured airbags and more than 100 people have been injured.

The ammonium nitrate-based propellant that inflates the airbags can grow more unstable over time as moisture creeps in, especially in regions with high heat and humidity. To combat that, Takata added what's known as a desiccant, or a moisture absorber. Now, the federal government has told Takata it must stop making all inflators with ammonium nitrate as a propellant by the end of 2018.

It is unknown whether Takata's newer, desiccated inflators will eventually need to be recalled and replaced. But some automakers are still using bags that are considered more volatile:

: Other car producers...
:

•Toyota: The 2016 Toyota 4Runner and 2016 Lexus GX 460 still use non-desiccated Takata inflators in the passenger-side frontal airbags for both SUVs. They are the last Toyota, Lexus or Scion vehicles to use such inflators, said Toyota spokesman Victor Vanov. Toyota will eliminate the inflators for the 2017 model year except for some early production GX 460s.
Old 09-20-16, 05:45 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I didn't know the recall went back this far. Long read of updates here...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive...cted-vehicles/
Old 09-22-16, 06:12 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 2011 Acura TL since new that is now my middle sons car. I waited close to 4 months for the inflator to be replaced from when I was put on the waiting list.

Acura allowed me to keep the car at home and gave me a rental. I just had to sign a waiver saying the car wouldn't be driven except to the dealer. They also gave me the option of having it towed to the dealer when the part became available but I declined.

This Takata situation is a real mess, last I read close to 70 million vehicles are affected from numerous brands..

Last edited by JT4; 09-23-16 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-22-16, 08:28 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

You don't need to have a deal to get the airbag replaced before accepting. The airbag on a new vehicle isn't dangerous because there hasn't been enough time for the inflators to degrade. That's why they're allowed to sell the cars with the inflators to begin with. They are required to replace them later, no deal necessary, and by the time they degrade parts should be more accessible.
Old 09-24-16, 06:37 AM
Todd6571
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm considering purchasing a 2010 GX460 which is currently registered in Utah and is not subject to the recall at this point.

I live in Minnesota. If I buy the GX and register it here, does anyone know if it will then be subject to the recall? If so, it would have to sit until sometime in 2017?
Old 09-24-16, 09:58 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd6571
I'm considering purchasing a 2010 GX460 which is currently registered in Utah and is not subject to the recall at this point.

I live in Minnesota. If I buy the GX and register it here, does anyone know if it will then be subject to the recall? If so, it would have to sit until sometime in 2017?
Like Utah, it will not be subject to the recall until 2019.

Also, sitting isn't mandatory. Some people are choosing that option out of precaution and to qualify for a rental. If you don't have anyone in your front passenger seat you shouldn't have a problem driving your car (once you're under the recall)
Old 11-14-16, 02:43 PM
lexstone
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have been in a loaner since August and no word from Lexus on the replacement parts, We are grateful for the Ford Explorer but would rather be driving the GX!
Old 11-15-16, 06:59 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexstone
We have been in a loaner since August and no word from Lexus on the replacement parts, We are grateful for the Ford Explorer but would rather be driving the GX!
Yeahhh...

I suppose I am not putting miles on my GX but I miss it.

I wish there was just some ballpark horizon out there for us. This could be 6 more months or a year for all we know right now.
Old 11-25-16, 08:38 PM
TheMick
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Any News on the Recall Fix?

Just checking in to see if anyone has had the dealer "Fix" / replace the Takata airbag in their GX460 yet.
I received my recall letter back in July and have still yet to hear anything from Lexus or the dealer on a remedy...
Old 12-10-16, 02:26 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Remove the airbag?

Last edited by tecman; 12-10-16 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-14-16, 04:23 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to have 2011 Mercedes E350 with Takata Airbag recalled.
I received notification about recall from the Mercedes of USA in December 2015, until this year, Mercedes still had no parts to replace it. I was really concern driving that car since I heard and read so many news that even a small accident might cause airbag inflator to explode and kill driver and sometime whoever is behind it.
Local Mercedes dealer refused to offer a rental and call to Mercedes of USA left it also at nowhere and year after recall was announced, I decided to sell that car even thought I really liked it.
That airbag recall is a mess beyond believes and many manufactures are not in a rush to offer rental or short leases while we are driving affected cars.

Quick Reply: 2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall