GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Windshield questions, repairs, replacements

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 07:20 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by GB2011GX
Heading out tomorrow to our local glass provider for replacement. Thank you Acrad for your numerous detailed posts on this subject and all who followed up. I have many things to confirm with my glass contractor.
How did your repair go? Did you get them to include the clips and side trim?
Old 03-18-18, 06:58 AM
cicio
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I have Allstate and have probably had 30 repairs in the last 15 years that were repaired without charge at glass shop.
Did Allstate cover OEM glass or aftermarket?
Old 03-18-18, 07:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cicio
Did Allstate cover OEM glass or aftermarket?
Unfortunately... I don't remember if I asked or not. Replacement is Pilkington branded and other than not being OEM seems to be of decent quality. It took a pretty big rock the other day and that only left the tiniest of micro-chips that is only noticeable if I really look for it. Also no issues with rain sensor functioning or falling off.
Old 03-18-18, 07:29 AM
cicio
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Unfortunately... I don't remember if I asked or not. Replacement is Pilkington branded and other than not being OEM seems to be of decent quality. It took a pretty big rock the other day and that only left the tiniest of micro-chips that is only noticeable if I really look for it. Also no issues with rain sensor functioning or falling off.
Lol thanks for the info. I was thinking to change my insurance company. Last time I had a windshield replacement, Geico (Safelite) said they can only do aftermarket glass (or I pay the price difference for OEM).

I was lucky they didn't have anything in stock so they bought OEM glass for me from the dealer.
Not sure I can get that lucky next time
Old 03-18-18, 07:44 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I guess I have never thought about looking for a OEM rider with my policies. I need to ask my agent what that looks like for cost if even available with Allstate.

https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-ge...e-claim-527408
Old 03-20-18, 12:28 PM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Acrad, it goes in this Thursday. I contacted our glass guy and he wasn't planning on replacing the trim pieces. (Though he did say he always replaces the clips). So I mentioned that some of the trim pieces often lose their retention "thing-a-ma-jig" off the "ears". He looked it up and agreed, better to replace those too than to have something potentially rattling on the windshield, falling off, or generally performing less than optimally.

Ins company called to inform me that my glass deductible was $500! "WHAT IDIOT SIGNED UP FOR THAT?!" I asked.

I think she snorted she was laughing so hard.
Old 03-20-18, 02:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GB2011GX
Acrad, it goes in this Thursday. I contacted our glass guy and he wasn't planning on replacing the trim pieces. (Though he did say he always replaces the clips). So I mentioned that some of the trim pieces often lose their retention "thing-a-ma-jig" off the "ears". He looked it up and agreed, better to replace those too than to have something potentially rattling on the windshield, falling off, or generally performing less than optimally.

Ins company called to inform me that my glass deductible was $500! "WHAT IDIOT SIGNED UP FOR THAT?!" I asked.

I think she snorted she was laughing so hard.
Good to hear all the pieces will be there for you. As I stated in other post I dropped deductible to $50. I've also heard comp claims aren't looked upon the same way as collision claims and rarely affect rates.
Old 03-23-18, 07:49 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

They did an awesome job and with trim and all clips, $404.
Checked with ins co on the Comp deduct - dropping it to $100 on both my vehicles would run $53 every 6 months. So in 3 years, I'd break even if I had another claim.
The other benefit, would be theft and fire (covered under Comp). We are not in a high crime area and the vehicles are both garage kept.

I can afford the $400 windshield and will keep my deduct at $500.

My GX does NOT have Lane Departure so the windshield was not as expensive. If you have Lane Departure, you better drop your deduct because that windshield is almost DOUBLE.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-23-18)
Old 07-25-18, 11:07 AM
wifehasgx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield crack

Hi all, I got a small rock chip in the windshield, not a big deal since it has happened to every vehicle I've owned at some point (highway driving in Houston, TX). However, this is the first time when I experienced immediate crack propagation, both lengthwise and through thickness. We found the crack in the morning, definitely wasn't there when the truck was parked the night before (impossible to miss it). The edge of glass also shifted at the crack (see pics), has anyone seen such a thing before? Is it normal once crack reaches the edge, or maybe indicates improper installation at the factory (high level of residual stresses)/poor quality of glass?

Old 07-25-18, 04:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I had one like that and end up with a replacement

Make sure you obtain or request the trim clips on replacement. Check out this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post9884882
Old 07-25-18, 06:30 PM
Zahid
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I test drove a GX460 couple of weeks ago in Northside Lexus at the Woodlands which had a similar end to end windshield crack on that "CPO" vehicle. I asked the sales person about that and he said it is quite common for them to see this in the vehicles they deal with. I was skeptical about the reasoning and ended up buying from a different dealership. So, yes, it does happen.

Last edited by Zahid; 07-25-18 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 06:47 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a little rock dent with very minor spidering of crack on my windshield but it hasn't gotten any bigger. I would think the BOF structure would prevent twisting of the body and thus stressing the windshield. Eventually it will need replacement.
Old 07-30-18, 08:17 AM
wifehasgx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I'm getting quotes to replace right away, crack is really long (2-3 ft).
Old 07-30-18, 08:26 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm also in Houston, have had several windshield replacement over the years for my previous cars, used safelite and other shops.
The non-OEM glass might not have the water-beading capability,
let us know which shop you end up using.
Old 07-30-18, 09:00 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 726 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Zahid
I test drove a GX460 couple of weeks ago in Northside Lexus at the Woodlands which had a similar end to end windshield crack on that "CPO" vehicle. I asked the sales person about that and he said it is quite common for them to see this in the vehicles they deal with. I was skeptical about the reasoning and ended up buying from a different dealership. So, yes, it does happen.

The WORST Lexus dealership in Houston, FYI. Northside Lexus can #EAD.

Quick Reply: Windshield questions, repairs, replacements