GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Parking Brake Sticks after Washing

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 07:21 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Parking Brake Sticks after Washing

The closest car wash is less than two miles from our home and we often bring the GX home directly from the car wash and park it in the garage. We've noticed that the parking brake remains applied when we start the GX the next morning, even though the foot pedal releases. Presumably, the parking brake components were wet from the car wash and enough rust/corrosion forms overnight so that the springs to release the brake can't overcome the 'stiction'.

The GX "squats and grunts" when we put it in gear, but doesn't move. Shifting into reverse solves the problem ... there's a loud 'pop' from the rear of the vehicle as the brake releases, the GX starts to move, but in reverse, which we quickly stop with the service brake, then we shift into forward and drive off ... did I mention that we back into our garage?

I know, I know ... we should let the GX dry before parking, but other than being a nuisance, is this a problem? Has anyone else had this experience and is there another solution .... other than letting the GX dry before parking?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I may already have confessed that we are heavy parking brake users ... every time we park the vehicle, even if just temporarily while we step out of the vehicle to get the mail, etc. We use the parking brake so much that the cable stretches and every year our dealership has to re-tension.
Old 03-28-12, 10:43 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel

I know, I know ... we should let the GX dry before parking, but other than being a nuisance, is this a problem? Has anyone else had this experience?
I've never had your experience, perhaps because I never use the Parking Brake unless I park on a hill or a steep slope.

~ Cap
Old 03-28-12, 01:38 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
I've never had your experience, perhaps because I never use the Parking Brake unless I park on a hill or a steep slope.

~ Cap
Same here...
Old 03-28-12, 03:44 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Not using the parking brake can be the reason for your brakes doing this. The emergency brake pivots on our lx seized up and because of it, i am getting them fixed as we speak so it will pass inspection. Although since you say you use your emergency brakes it could either be the actual emergency brake pads that are inside the rotor, or rust. I'd look into rust being the issue cause the brakes not being able to release.
Old 03-28-12, 05:08 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Capirato

~ Cap
Really? So you shift it into Park and let the transmission hold the vehicle? Have you ever had the problem of the transmission being unable to shift out of Park because the weight of the vehicle trying to roll downhill prevents whatever is in the transmission from releasing? I read that this was a problem with BMW transmissions, but I have never had the experience.

The only time we DON'T use the emergency/parking brake is at the car wash ... we leave the GX running, shift into PARK ... which keeps the vehicle from rolling into the car wash ... and we leave the "electronic key" on the console for the attendant. By the end of the car wash detailing, we push the service brake, restart and shift out of Park to drive off. Maybe NOT applying the emergency/parking brake at the car wash is part of the problem?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 03-28-12, 05:10 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Not using the parking brake can be the reason for your brakes doing this. The emergency brake pivots on our lx seized up and because of it, i am getting them fixed as we speak so it will pass inspection. Although since you say you use your emergency brakes it could either be the actual emergency brake pads that are inside the rotor, or rust. I'd look into rust being the issue cause the brakes not being able to release.
Thanks! When our GX goes in for its next regular service, which will include re-tensioning the emergency/parking brake, I will ask them to check the brakes for rust.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 03-31-12, 05:31 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I literally, don't think I have ever used my parking brake. I don't think I've ever had to park on anything more than a very slight incline. 99% of the time it's perfectly level. . . . huh, just never thought about it. I go from garage to parking garage to parking lot to garage to parking lot, rinse and repeat. Never have utilized the 4wd, obviously.

Last edited by wannaGX; 04-02-12 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-31-12, 08:42 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the parking brake works by tensioning the pads inside the drum on the rear rotor. there should not be that much water getting in there...in fact, you shouldnt pressure spray water on the brakes...thats a no no...good way for faster corrosion and wearing out of parts. Thats probably why you have the sitcking parking brake. Ive never used the parking brake fyi
Old 04-03-12, 02:13 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

A member over 3RX ran into same problem. He washed the car, parked in the garage, applied Emer brake, left for business, came back few days later and car cannot move. Have the car towed to Lexus dealership and was told the Emer break rusted (due to water from the wah) and stuck. NO warranty coverage for that. he has it towed to his personal mechanic to fix it (he claimed it was less than half the cost the dealer wanted).

Do not use the Emer unless you really need to and don't use it right after you washed the car.
Old 04-03-12, 03:41 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
A member over 3RX ran into same problem. He washed the car, parked in the garage, applied Emer brake, left for business, came back few days later and car cannot move. Have the car towed to Lexus dealership and was told the Emer break rusted (due to water from the wah) and stuck. NO warranty coverage for that. he has it towed to his personal mechanic to fix it (he claimed it was less than half the cost the dealer wanted).

Do not use the Emer unless you really need to and don't use it right after you washed the car.
It seems we are causing the problem by coming home directly from the car wash and applying the parking brake before the brake dries. That's easy to fix ... we'll either allow more time for the car to dry or wash it earlier in the day.

Thanks to all who advised on this problem, which we consider solved.
Regards,

SaniDel