GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

service on my 2016 GX

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-23, 10:40 AM
choopes
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default service on my 2016 GX

I bought a 2016 GX 460, Luxury package back in February. Love it! I requested the car have a the service it needed for the Lexus dealer when I bought it. So I know the time is approaching for fluid changes. What do you guys do with regards to fluid maintenance? I have always changed my own oil. I bought a oil filter removal tool. But what is a realistic change cycle? I drive 50/50 highway and city, with almost no dusty dirt roads. 10K seems like a long time to wait in between. What filter and oil type do you use?
Also. soon turning over 57K. What about transmission fluid change? I have watched some youtube vids. I may carry it into be serviced, as I have a few other things I may want done. But I would like to get on a schedule. What fluid and filter can you recommend?
THANKS!!!!

Last edited by choopes; 09-12-23 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-12-23, 10:51 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 983 Likes on 664 Posts

Oil / Filter change every 6,000 miles using 10w-30 Mobil-1. Any time I purchase a used vehicle ... ALL fluids get changed ... to baseline ... no mater the maintenance records.
Old 09-12-23, 11:47 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 222 Likes on 134 Posts

I do oil and filer roughly every 5k
Agree with ASE, better to change fluids as you do not know how previous owner drove/loaded it.
Additionally grease all drive line joints and shaft, there are great instructions in this forum on how to do it.
Old 09-12-23, 12:32 PM
John00
Racer

Received 362 Likes on 276 Posts

i do oil 10-20k, cant use paper for that. note i also use the cheap gas. 200k no issues. i also would change fluids, great to reduce moisture. later you can do the diffs gearbox etc. not sure on 2016 but might want the 1" filter mopd.
Old 09-13-23, 06:04 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

I am approaching 60k miles with the GX we purchased this spring. I have had good luck with Pennzoil Platinum Oil and OEM toyota filter. I just got my Redline transfer case and diff fluids, along with the required washers, and power steering fluid. I would take the Lexus to the dealer and have the transmission fluid exchanged, and probably have the brakes flushed as if I read correctly techstream has advanced features to flush brake fluid that traditional flushes don't.
Old 09-13-23, 04:08 PM
John00
Racer

theres different flush methods. you can change the majority of the fluid with the simple methods. fancier more effective for one shot methods do involve some controls, but you also can get techstream if you want those methods. just the regular simple exchange done a little more often could be better than the fancy methods anyways. you dont get 100% but most dont need that anyways, and the standard dilution method seems just fine and the $ savings is huge.
Old 09-14-23, 04:24 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John00
theres different flush methods. you can change the majority of the fluid with the simple methods. fancier more effective for one shot methods do involve some controls, but you also can get techstream if you want those methods. just the regular simple exchange done a little more often could be better than the fancy methods anyways. you dont get 100% but most dont need that anyways, and the standard dilution method seems just fine and the $ savings is huge.
Let's just say a quart of Toyota WS is $10, and you need right around 12qts for a complete fluid exchange. When I had my GX470 fluid exchange done at Toyota it was right around $200. I'm not made of money, but my time is worth something and knowing there is 100% clean fluid in there all adds up to me to be worth the $80 in time saved performing the drain and fills, and recycling. YMMV of course, but I do have an appt with toyota next wknd for an exchange as I am seeing some high trans temps while towing. Just want a clean start to compare apples to apples for when I install the hayden trans cooler.
Old 09-14-23, 06:49 AM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by jonshonda
Let's just say a quart of Toyota WS is $10, and you need right around 12qts for a complete fluid exchange. When I had my GX470 fluid exchange done at Toyota it was right around $200. I'm not made of money, but my time is worth something and knowing there is 100% clean fluid in there all adds up to me to be worth the $80 in time saved performing the drain and fills, and recycling. YMMV of course, but I do have an appt with toyota next wknd for an exchange as I am seeing some high trans temps while towing. Just want a clean start to compare apples to apples for when I install the hayden trans cooler.

bad comparison?, interested to see that service cost (a 100% flush) today for a 460. secondly, toyota doesnt do any work at all, its the service tech working for toyota. yes, big difference. working directly with them (infrequent but i still do) i can tell you that you will care much more about your vehicle than they will. some just clean and mark the plug, some do a simple drain/fill (most). its up to them regardless of what your estimate or invoice states. also depends on how hungry they are versus the clock. and the day of the week. there are huge incentives to reduce cycle time. also per toyota service, you will not get 100% new clean fluid, there is no flush. you can ask them exactly what they do. might be able to pay extra for them to tell you they do a flush LOL. know that the service center doesnt always use the same fluids as they sell to over the counter customers. its up to the center and many use generics or mixtures of the large plastic barrels.

not trying to convince anyone to do anything different, just showing that there are many reasons to perform work yourself when you are able.
The following users liked this post:
jphowey (09-20-23)
Old 09-14-23, 07:13 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

^A complete fluid exchange from Toyota dealership service tech is roughly $200 locally. The tech hooks the GX460 up to their exchange machine, and the machine pumps in the new fluid at the same rate the GX460 pumps it out. I've spoke at length with a GXOR member who is a 20 year tech at Toyota...so I am informed. It's also NOT a flush, it's a 1:1 exchange.
Old 09-14-23, 08:04 AM
John00
Racer

again, its not a complete fluid exchange. they mean complete for what drains at the drain stage. its 1:1 for whats removed, as per the service guide. if you want to spend 200$ for $45 of fluid and 30 mins, have at it. oh yeah dont forget to include the drive time, scheduling, etc.
Old 09-19-23, 04:43 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

again, its not a complete fluid exchange. they mean complete for what drains at the drain stage. its 1:1 for whats removed, as per the service guide. if you want to spend 200$ for $45 of fluid and 30 mins, have at it. oh yeah dont forget to include the drive time, scheduling, etc.
Service tech at Toyota confirmed if it has an external cooler they hook it up to their machine and do the entire system, which is what they did on my GX470 for $200. If it doesn't then they do a drain and fill as you suggested. I am thinking I might have to install the hayden cooler before I take it in this wknd to ensure the do a complete exchange.
Old 09-20-23, 05:49 AM
jphowey
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

bad comparison?, interested to see that service cost (a 100% flush) today for a 460. secondly, toyota doesnt do any work at all, its the service tech working for toyota. yes, big difference. working directly with them (infrequent but i still do) i can tell you that you will care much more about your vehicle than they will. some just clean and mark the plug, some do a simple drain/fill (most). its up to them regardless of what your estimate or invoice states. also depends on how hungry they are versus the clock. and the day of the week. there are huge incentives to reduce cycle time. also per toyota service, you will not get 100% new clean fluid, there is no flush. you can ask them exactly what they do. might be able to pay extra for them to tell you they do a flush LOL. know that the service center doesnt always use the same fluids as they sell to over the counter customers. its up to the center and many use generics or mixtures of the large plastic barrels.

not trying to convince anyone to do anything different, just showing that there are many reasons to perform work yourself when you are able.
This is my experience as well, sadly. But we're all entitled to do as we please, last time I checked.

And it's why I disconnect a cooler line at thermostat and pin thermostat (I do not have aux cooler). Then I cycle out approx 2 quarts at a time running engine 45-60 seconds, refilling two fresh 2 quarts through funnel and tube in engine bay snaked down to fill hole.

This results in clear red fluid after about 12-14 quarts. And peace of mind.

Someone had worked on my 2010 before I got it and over-filled the engine oil by 3 quarts and under-filled the transmission by 2.

John00 (09-27-23)
Old 09-25-23, 05:04 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

@John00 Just an fyi. 12quarts exchanged.

jphowey (09-25-23)
Old 09-27-23, 04:23 AM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by jphowey
This is my experience as well, sadly. But we're all entitled to do as we please, last time I checked.

And it's why I disconnect a cooler line at thermostat and pin thermostat (I do not have aux cooler). Then I cycle out approx 2 quarts at a time running engine 45-60 seconds, refilling two fresh 2 quarts through funnel and tube in engine bay snaked down to fill hole.

This results in clear red fluid after about 12-14 quarts. And peace of mind.

Someone had worked on my 2010 before I got it and over-filled the engine oil by 3 quarts and under-filled the transmission by 2.
yes dilution methods are perfectly fine. usually what I do as well.