GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Super bad Mpgs on my 04 gx

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 07:36 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Robclzr
I would be very happy if mine averaged 14mpg.
in city driving I’m lucky if I get 10mpgs

tire pressure is at 35
Have you checked to ensure you don't have a seized caliper or something like that? Ebrake stuck on? If you put it up on 4 jackstands, transmission in neutral, can you spin the tires by hand fairly easily?
Old 04-15-19, 09:07 PM
Robclzr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IanB2
Have you checked to ensure you don't have a seized caliper or something like that? Ebrake stuck on? If you put it up on 4 jackstands, transmission in neutral, can you spin the tires by hand fairly easily?
I forgot to mention that I have replaced all 4 brake calipers and rotors as well about 1 year ago
Old 04-16-19, 04:25 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I if all of your statements are accurate... I’d lean towards clogged cats. They can be partially clogged. You’ll know by pickup.... does the GX have the power it used to?

Also. When you changed the calipers? Did you live the slide pins? And has the parking brake wheel cylinders been adjusted? I’d think you’ve also replaced the rotors if you went as far to replace the calipers.
Also check for heat radiating from the wheel area after a few miles... anything dragging is going to produce a lot of heat(don’t actually touch the components).

I didnt realize the i4 models had the older style 4.7.... I’d check timing for sure. If the timing is retarded by one tooth.. your mileage is going to drop severely.

Can you get the car scanned? See if the torque converter is stuck in lockup? You need a scanner that can read the main modules.. not just the ecm...or check for the code “requirement lamp on” in the ecm.
Old 04-16-19, 04:04 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a way to clean the clogged cats? I'm getting all 4 O2 sensors replaced this weekend and hoping that would improve my gas mileage. I got codes P0136, P0138 and P2195. Can the mechanic check for clogged cats and do something to clean it?
Old 04-16-19, 06:00 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

The only way to clean the cats is heat.. and you run a fine line of melting the mesh that way.

Id just check the mesh in the cats with a bore scope to see if that’s the culprit.

I’d do that before replacing the o2 sensors.

But it does the vehicle feel like it lacks power??

Also... have you checked the timing marks to see if the cams are in proper time?
The following users liked this post:
Matsui (04-18-19)
Old 04-16-19, 06:09 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

After looking through allData with those codes... it appears that it is your o2 sensors... although I’ve seen failed drivers in the ecm cause the same issue.

Ill keep my my fingers crossed that the o2’s correct your issue.
Matsui (04-18-19)
Old 05-12-19, 10:40 AM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJason
1st... how are your driving habits? Do you floor it a lot? Do you drive down the interstate at 80mph instead of 70 mph?
do you tow??

2nd... any mods? Lifted, type of tires? Heavy sliders?

3rd... did the gas mileage get worse after the timing belt was replaced?

4th... does the acceleration seem sluggish?

Answer those please.
Flooring it a lot doesn’t really vary the mpg much
I have an ‘03 with about 196k miles and I drive it VERY HARD ever since I bought it. I love how the truck drives so I floor it all the time and I seldomly slow down for speed bumps, potholes, floods, etc. I drive it like a tank and nothing has ever failed other than normal stuff. I replaced the cv axels, and now at 196k all of the brake calipers have been replaced (likely due to negligence at changing brake pads on time). I also replaced the rear air shocks at around 180k mi. Nothing has ever gone wrong with tranny or engine (timing belt never replaced).
When I first bought it many years back I was overwhelmed with fuel consumption so I drove it like a grandma for a few months. Then I started stepping on it and didn’t notice much difference in fuel consumption!!! She actually seemed to like a rather strong foot. So I drive it very very hard ever since. I get 14mpg in the city and about 16-18mpg in the highway at around 80mph consistently whether driven hard or not. No difference.

Drive it hard and enjoy ! She likes it!

OA
gmoneygo (05-20-19)
Old 05-13-19, 09:08 AM
Robclzr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oardila99
Flooring it a lot doesn’t really vary the mpg much
I have an ‘03 with about 196k miles and I drive it VERY HARD ever since I bought it. I love how the truck drives so I floor it all the time and I seldomly slow down for speed bumps, potholes, floods, etc. I drive it like a tank and nothing has ever failed other than normal stuff. I replaced the cv axels, and now at 196k all of the brake calipers have been replaced (likely due to negligence at changing brake pads on time). I also replaced the rear air shocks at around 180k mi. Nothing has ever gone wrong with tranny or engine (timing belt never replaced).
When I first bought it many years back I was overwhelmed with fuel consumption so I drove it like a grandma for a few months. Then I started stepping on it and didn’t notice much difference in fuel consumption!!! She actually seemed to like a rather strong foot. So I drive it very very hard ever since. I get 14mpg in the city and about 16-18mpg in the highway at around 80mph consistently whether driven hard or not. No difference.

Drive it hard and enjoy ! She likes it!

OA
Thanks for the info.
I did a trip to Florida from NJ and I was driving very carefully I never when over 70mph and I started getting much better MPGs the best I got was 18mpg and was super happy but as soon as I started driving back in city dropped to only 8.5mpg and is killing me.
I’m not sure what is causing such several drop on the MPGs since I have done all possible services.
I will appreciate if anyone have any idea of why the truck is doing this.

thanks.
rob.
Old 05-13-19, 09:12 AM
Robclzr
Driver School Candidate

After looking through allData with those codes... it appears that it is your o2 sensors... although I’ve seen failed drivers in the ecm cause the same issue.

Ill keep my my fingers crossed that the o2’s correct your issue.
Hi,
thanks for the info.
I had replaced the 02 sensors in July last year I replaced all four.
do you think that those O2 sensors are bad already?
I ask since I got the OEM replacement and not a after market type.
please advise

thanks

rob
Old 05-13-19, 09:21 AM
Robclzr
Driver School Candidate

The only way to clean the cats is heat.. and you run a fine line of melting the mesh that way.

Id just check the mesh in the cats with a bore scope to see if that’s the culprit.

I’d do that before replacing the o2 sensors.

But it does the vehicle feel like it lacks power??

Also... have you checked the timing marks to see if the cams are in proper time?

Hi there
I don’t feel the truck with lack of power and I had replaced the timing belt about 16k miles ago
about the Cats Truck still has the originals.
I’m not sure how to check if still good.

thanks.

rob
Old 05-13-19, 11:16 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Since no one has asked, when you drive in the city how long are your trips? If you only ever drive it when the engine is cold you're going to get really bad mileage on any vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by captainva:
gmoneygo (05-20-19), MrJason (05-14-19)
Old 05-14-19, 09:29 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
Since no one has asked, when you drive in the city how long are your trips? If you only ever drive it when the engine is cold you're going to get really bad mileage on any vehicle.

I agree.. I didn’t realize you primarily drove in city traffic. You’ll be lucky to average 10mpg in stop and go traffic. The GX seems to gobble gas at idle too.

Also so if the rear a/c is always on... you’ll get a drop in mileage too.
Old 05-16-19, 07:39 AM
shakazulu
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I stopped hand calculating because it was depressing, but my daily driving involves 5 to 10 short trips, none more than about 20 minutes and mostly in the city. It's not uncommon for me to average 12 mpg for a tank. When driven normally, I usually just make the 14/18 numbers that the EPA posts, efficiency starts to fall off a cliff again above about 75 mph I've noticed. The V8 will definitely drink some fuel in stop and go traffic.
Old 05-16-19, 07:43 AM
Robclzr
Driver School Candidate

I agree.. I didn’t realize you primarily drove in city traffic. You’ll be lucky to average 10mpg in stop and go traffic. The GX seems to gobble gas at idle too.

Also so if the rear a/c is always on... you’ll get a drop in mileage too.
Hi,
my drives are in the city short trips around town and I do get it that stop and go drive will impact on the MPGs before it just to do 12mpg city driving but now dropped to 8mpgs and after all Maintenance done it doesn’t seem to change nothing at all.
Old 05-16-19, 10:35 AM
jprlexusgx
Driver School Candidate

have you tried using seafoam to clean the internals? Also, try a full can on a 3/4 tank.

I know you mentioned cleaning the MAFS but I would suggest buying a new one. It happened to me when I had the FJ that the MAFS was halfway bad and miles started to plunge before I finally got a check engine light. Bought a new one, disconnected the battery for 30 min and miles went back up.
MrJason (05-16-19)

Quick Reply: Super bad Mpgs on my 04 gx