GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470--Off Road Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 12:11 PM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX 470--Off Road Suspension?

I have an '05 GX 470. My air suspension is shot...it's leaked the whole time I've owned it, but now it won't hold air at all.

I'm keen on converting to a coil suspension designed for legit 4X4 use anyway because I spend a lot of time on ranches in Texas and make several trips a year to mountains with "jeep trails."

Looking at Old Man Emu setups with a 2-2.5" lift. Anyone used one of these? Any other recommendations or resource websites?

My only concern is how rough it might ride on-road. It won't be my daily driver in town, but I'd like to pile the family in for weekend trips and the 1-2X/yr 14hour drive to Colorado. Any feedback from someone who's done a similar conversion "off road" ready conversion to their GX470?

Old 07-24-18, 11:17 AM
Frey
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak from experience yet, but looking to do the same thing after I address my leaking radiator on the GX and a few big ticket items on my 4Runner. All I can offer are options, looking at SSO and Treaty Oak myself. Best of luck to you and keep us updated on what you choose and how you like it!
The following users liked this post:
gordie (07-30-18)
Old 07-24-18, 05:21 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gordie
I have an '05 GX 470. My air suspension is shot...it's leaked the whole time I've owned it, but now it won't hold air at all.

I'm keen on converting to a coil suspension designed for legit 4X4 use anyway because I spend a lot of time on ranches in Texas and make several trips a year to mountains with "jeep trails."

Looking at Old Man Emu setups with a 2-2.5" lift. Anyone used one of these? Any other recommendations or resource websites?

My only concern is how rough it might ride on-road. It won't be my daily driver in town, but I'd like to pile the family in for weekend trips and the 1-2X/yr 14hour drive to Colorado. Any feedback from someone who's done a similar conversion "off road" ready conversion to their GX470?
I can't be of help just yet. I am getting ready to do a rear air bag delete and a 2" off road suspension install. After a lot of study i have decided to go with bilstein 6112/5160 setup with icon 2" rear springs. I'm also doing a full bushing/ball joint/swaybar link replacement. I should get started in about a month. my only concern is that the bilstein setup is rated for a lighter 4runner. I don't think it will be an issue but if it is i plan on moving those fresh springs to my 07 4runner and putting some heavy duty 2" lift springs in from ironman 4x4. the GX is about 300 pounds heavy front and back (i think). and i also intend on installing a gobi rack (added weight). which is why i am trepedacious about the first set of springs i buy working out. My wife will be the daily driver so she will need a decent ride. otherwise i would just go straight to the ironmans.

I'll be sure to make a build page when i do.
gordie (07-30-18)
Old 07-25-18, 01:04 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

OME are going to be stiffer. Dobinson has one of the best bang for your buck set up and many people are running them without complaints. I run Icon myself and they are very good on and off road.
The following 2 users liked this post by maxx430:
Frey (07-26-18), gordie (07-30-18)
Old 07-27-18, 03:32 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

whichever kit you get... dont forget to get the rear conversion kit as well... since youll be needing that to mount the springs from your kit of choice. I personally got the metal tech kit with prado insulators... will be installing them with FJ springs soon i hope
gordie (07-30-18)
Old 07-27-18, 04:42 PM
Kelevra
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are many conversion kits out there. Go onto GXOR facebook and they can help you. GXOR is more off road than here. Both are great forums, just different!
Old 07-30-18, 09:22 AM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I was all set to do the $1500 Iron Man FCPs based on GXOR posts claiming it's the best bang for the buck for on/off-road utility and ride. But now I'm wondering about the Dobinsons. A few specific questions:

1) Do most people run the "premium" version of the Dobinsons (currently $1770) or does anyone have feedback on the regular version (currently $920)?
2) What's a reasonable install price for conversion kit and suspension (likely with control bars) and should this be the same for both Dobinsons and Iron Man?
3) Are control arms worth the extra $$ for moderate off-road use?

Thanks again.
Old 07-30-18, 07:27 PM
JamesF
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started with an OME kit with the medium coils. Didn’t care for the rough ride. I now have Dobinsons comfort valved shocks with 220 lb springs in the rear. I wish I hadn’t let the shop talk me out of Dobinsons.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Dobinsons. Check Kyle at treatyoak for sure.
Old 07-31-18, 08:04 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gordie
Thanks for all the responses. I was all set to do the $1500 Iron Man FCPs based on GXOR posts claiming it's the best bang for the buck for on/off-road utility and ride. But now I'm wondering about the Dobinsons. A few specific questions:

1) Do most people run the "premium" version of the Dobinsons (currently $1770) or does anyone have feedback on the regular version (currently $920)?
2) What's a reasonable install price for conversion kit and suspension (likely with control bars) and should this be the same for both Dobinsons and Iron Man?
3) Are control arms worth the extra $$ for moderate off-road use?

Thanks again.
1-cant help you there as I have Icon.
2-this really depends on the shop. a local shop charged me $300 to install my fronts and that included the upper control arm.
3-depending on you tires and how high your lift is, you will need front upper control arm as it can hit your stock arms. I have SPC and it help with the camber as well.