GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How many MILES on your GX TODAY? What year? Repairs done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 11:44 AM
Arailt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I test drove quite a few 460s when we were looking for a new vehicle for my wife. I was dead set on having two GXs until we started driving them. The handling, engine, and transmission all seemed seemed fine, but I was incredibly disappointed with the dated interior. We started looking at the 2013 because it was the last year with the front end we both preferred, but quickly went newer, even looking at a brand new 2017 (at the time) hoping to find something more updated. No luck. The nav screens and buttons looked like they were a decade old at best. Everything about the interiors seemed to be old, especially compared to the 2017 RX and LX models in the showroom at the time. We ended up buying a one year old X5.
Old 03-17-18, 11:47 AM
Opeechee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2006 Nav - 170K

I just bought it a month ago, but replaced the radiator, timing belt, pump, all fluids, and about to get the clunk taken care of with a new drive shaft.

Pretty sure she will be sweet after that for a while, love it.
Old 03-17-18, 04:28 PM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced the Radiator upon purchasing the GX as preventative Maintenance, all new fluids and filters, and that's it so far. The only thing not working after driving it now for about a week is one of the rear window switches on the drivers door. The switch at the rear window works, so it's probably a bad front switch, no big deal. Will save that for a rainy day to fix.. After reading about the dash crack issues, I did a close inspection, and did find a few small cracks that are out ot normal sight. So is there a recall to replace the dash for free, or is it my expense. Is there anyone who has paid to replace their dash, and how much did it cost? Right now the cracks are so small my wife hasn't noticed them, and she is super critical. I think I'll use her as a gage when to replace it, if it is a costly item. Also, has anyone replaced the dash as a DIY project?
Old 03-17-18, 04:36 PM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple of other things, My 06 GX does not have NAV, and I'm thinking about a rear camera setup. Has anyone added a rear camera setup, what type and how much?
Also I ordered a frame hitch with wiring, and after reading the manual today, it said there are wires preinstalled for the trailer connector under some panel. Does anyone know what panel their talking about and how to access them?

Here is a actual quote from the manual:

"Your vehicle is equipped with a wire harness stored in the rear end under-body. Use either of them to connect and operate the trailer lights."
Odd wording, "stored in under body", and "use either of them", sounds like there are two to choose from...

Just trying not to reinvent the wheel, has anyone searched and found these wire harnesses?

Thanks

Last edited by outrbnks; 03-17-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 02:10 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

I seem to recall looking up the price of the dash - in the $1200 range for the part?? Maybe? Labor is going to be the killer on it.

Mine had the pre-wire, and it had the 7-pin RV connector on the back already. Did not have a 4-pin connector.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
outrbnks (03-18-18)
Old 03-18-18, 04:16 PM
Arailt
Rookie

Originally Posted by outrbnks
has anyone searched and found these wire harnesses?
Mine is attached to the driver's side frame rail and drops out just behind the rear wheel.
outrbnks (03-18-18)
Old 03-28-18, 11:52 AM
Clancy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2003 GX470; Dorado Gold, Tan interior.
202,460 Miles
Nav/Mark Levinson/Rear Entertainment/Three Row
One timing belt at 110,000
All oil and service up to date
Air suspension failed at 200,000=replaced with springs and conventional shocks (~$800)
Amplifier failed, replaced with OEM one for $400
Only issue that has left me stranded was the shift linkage that snapped due to rust, cost $400 to fix (incl. labor)
Gas mileage on city about 14-15 mpg.
Gas mileage on highway going 85mph: 17mpg going 65mph: 20mpg (with two other passengers and 300lbs of luggage) (based on several road trips)
I have some minor issues that I haven't fixed yet like the inner tie rod boots are torn and a power steering hose is leaking from the engine bay. There are also two leaks from the transmission engine seal and the drive shaft seal.
There is a good amount of rust that I have coated with POR-15, used two quarts which was $80 (did the whole undercarriage)
Battery died after 3 years, replaced at 50% off under warranty ($140 incl. labor)
About $1600 in repairs and $1100 in maintenance (oil changes and new tires, plus battery)
Considering I bought it for $6,500 I've spent over $9,000 on it. I've put in over 8,000 miles in the last 4 months I've owned it. It has never left me stranded on major trips and it drives like new. Very happy with it and I plan to own it as long as possible.
Old 03-31-18, 06:52 PM
RXstate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus replaced our dash for free recently due to the cracking, but I think it was also to replace the airbag (they didn't say that, but I don't see how you replace one without the other). You may want to check on it.
Old 04-04-18, 03:22 PM
Clancy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It comes from the Toyota Prado. I'm also interested in it and I saw it for sale here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-FJ10...19.m1438.l2649
Johnny Rad (04-14-18)
Old 04-10-18, 11:08 AM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by outrbnks
. The only thing not working after driving it now for about a week is one of the rear window switches on the drivers door. The switch at the rear window works, so it's probably a bad front switch, no big deal. Will save that for a rainy day to fix.. After reading about the dash crack issues, I did a close inspection, and did find a few small cracks that are out ot normal sight. So is there a recall to replace the dash for free, or is it my expense. Has anyone replaced the dash as a DIY project?
Your window problem is probably because the auto feature is not programmed in that window (window won’t work from the drivers master switch). I had the same problem. My right rear window was dead from the front for about a year until I found this out incidentally. To fix go to the door that has the dead window, then press the switch down all the way (ensure pressing into Auto) and roll the window down all the way and hold the switch down for about 5 seconds after the window is all the way down. Repeat the process rolling up the window and hold switch up into auto for about 5 secs after window finishes rolling up. Then go to the drivers switch and try the window and hopefully problem is fixed. You must do this to all of your windows after you disconnect the battery for them to work from the drivers switch. Regarding the dash, there was a warranty enhancement that took care of cracking dashes but I think it ended in 3/2017 (check around).

Hope this helped.
Old 04-10-18, 11:24 AM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year is your GX?
2003 non-navi
MILAGE on your GX today?
i’ve owned it for 7 years

What repairs has it required?
- Both CV joints at ~150k
- o-ring inside transfer case @~150k mi (to stop transfer case oil leak)
- Cracking dashboard replaced by Lexus warranty enhancement in 2016 @152k miles (13 year old GX) =D
- positive battery terminal replaced ($24 fix).
- Bank1 Sensor1 oxygen sensor at ~ 160k mi
- Ignition key case broke at ~172k mi ($40 cut @ Lexus )
- Right and Left rear suspension air springs @ 174k mi ($182 ea) -easy DIY fix

What mods have you done to your GX if any?
Installed aftermarket Bluetooth

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love it?

Would you buy another GX?
ABSOLUTELY

Post a pic if you have one

Last edited by oardila99; 04-10-18 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 10:21 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What year is your GX? 2008
MILAGE on your GX today? 84,500
What repairs has it required? Radiator, Front CV shaft axle
What mods have you done to your GX if any? Vizualogic Headrest DVD player, LED bulbs on headlights (low and high), fog lamps and steps, weathertech floor liners.
On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love it? It's definitely a 10.
Would you buy another GX? Yes, already did. Picked up a 2018.
Post a pic if you have one. Of course.
Old 04-12-18, 09:04 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

2008 Lexus GX470
Mileage: 118,000miles
Repairs: Radiator, Rear Brakes, Spark Plugs, Air Injection Pump, Front & Rear and Transfer Case Fluid Flush, (about to do) Timing Belt
Mods: RRW RR2-V Wheels 17"x8.5" / 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country A/T, (about to do) 2" lift, pod lights, projector retrofit
On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love it? 9.5/10 Probably keeping it forever.
Would you buy another GX? Definitely.

Old 04-12-18, 02:08 PM
jajohnston
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyota Prado

Originally Posted by Clancy
It comes from the Toyota Prado. I'm also interested in it and I saw it for sale here:
Why would it say that the steering wheel is not compatible with 09 LEXUS GX470? I don't want to send 200.00 to China and then not have it fit.
Is it a self-install or is it something a mechanic has to do? does it affect any airbag warranty?
Old 04-14-18, 07:58 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clancy
Originally Posted by jajohnston
Why would it say that the steering wheel is not compatible with 09 LEXUS GX470? I don't want to send 200.00 to China and then not have it fit.
Is it a self-install or is it something a mechanic has to do? does it affect any airbag warranty?
Sweet! Prado to the rescue...

Thx for sharing

Quick Reply: How many MILES on your GX TODAY? What year? Repairs done?