GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DIY VL●OG: GX470 Air Injection Pump CEL P0418 & P2445

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 07:27 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Default DIY VL●OG: GX470 Air Injection Pump CEL P0418 & P2445

This was one helluva costly mistake for me. After My SC300 sat for a few months and testing headlights on and off of it, the battery depleted its charge. Naturally, I jump started it with the nearest vehicle I had which was the GX470. While telling myself to be very careful not to touch the positive and negative wires, I did. Next thing I know, the check engine lights up and giving out codes P0418 & P2445. Upon research, this was a common issue on the 2UZFE engines, wherein a foam filter dry rots and gets sucked by the air pump, eventually damaging the air pump blades and gets the debris all over the air pump system and clogs up everything.

The difference is, with the Toyota Tundras and Sequoias, the air injection pump is mounted right beside the engine and very easy to access. With the GX470, its beneath the intake manifold. With my smog inspection coming up, I had to address this issue quick. I ordered all the parts necessary, and before anyone start thinking you don't need all these parts, we also recorded proof that the entire system is compromised and need to be replaced completely. I bought all the parts through Amazon and seems to be the fairest price for OEM parts.

(4x) 17377-50010 Air Tube Gasket For Manifold Air Injection System
25720-50020 Air Pump Check Valve
25710-50022 Air Pump Check Valve
25720-50011 Air Pump Check Valve
17342-50180 Air Injection System Hose
17341-50180 Air Injection Hose
Felpro MS 96672 Intake Manifold Gasket Set
OKAY MOTOR Secondary Air Injection Pump

The secondary air injection pump was a replacement, as I did not feel like spending $400+ on OEM. All the parts cost roughly $600+. Plus a few more on special tools, like the low profile 10mm socket.

And please, subscribe and like us on YouTube to help us grow! We greatly appreciate it! We'll be vlogging timing belt replacement, water pump, ATF flush, diff gear oil soon! Thanks again!
The following 2 users liked this post by Organized Garage Status:
deeken (04-02-18), Fb45 (02-24-23)
Old 04-02-18, 08:31 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Excellent tutorial and exceptionally edited video bud.

I hope I never have to take on this task.
Old 09-23-19, 11:01 AM
gcam77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
This was one helluva costly mistake for me. After My SC300 sat for a few months and testing headlights on and off of it, the battery depleted its charge. Naturally, I jump started it with the nearest vehicle I had which was the GX470. While telling myself to be very careful not to touch the positive and negative wires, I did. Next thing I know, the check engine lights up and giving out codes P0418 & P2445. Upon research, this was a common issue on the 2UZFE engines, wherein a foam filter dry rots and gets sucked by the air pump, eventually damaging the air pump blades and gets the debris all over the air pump system and clogs up everything.

The difference is, with the Toyota Tundras and Sequoias, the air injection pump is mounted right beside the engine and very easy to access. With the GX470, its beneath the intake manifold. With my smog inspection coming up, I had to address this issue quick. I ordered all the parts necessary, and before anyone start thinking you don't need all these parts, we also recorded proof that the entire system is compromised and need to be replaced completely. I bought all the parts through Amazon and seems to be the fairest price for OEM parts.

The secondary air injection pump was a replacement, as I did not feel like spending $400+ on OEM. All the parts cost roughly $600+. Plus a few more on special tools, like the low profile 10mm socket.

https://youtu.be/scNqAgg-N74

And please, subscribe and like us on YouTube to help us grow! We greatly appreciate it! We'll be vlogging timing belt replacement, water pump, ATF flush, diff gear oil soon! Thanks again!

Great Video.

I think I will be doing this as my GX470 just threw the codes P0418 and P2445. I checked out going with the 2005 - 2007 Plug & Play Bypass SAIS Kit w/ PPP from Hewitt Technologies Inc but that costs $404.00. They explained because of the P0418 code, I would need that specific $404 kit. At that price I would rather go the route of replacing the complete system for a few more dollars.

With that being said and seeing that you did it as DIY, I have a few questions.

1. Whats is the part number for the OKAY MOTOR Secondary Air Injection Pump that fits the Lexus GX470
2. Where exactly is the foam filter that creates this mess, was it substituted or removed in your rebuild?
3. Any particular reason for going with Felpro MS 96672 Intake Manifold Gasket Set instead of OEM?
4. Do you have a list of all the special tools that is needed for this DIY?
5. Do you have a link or brand / part # for the low profile 10mm socket and handle?
6. Did you figure out why touching the + and - triggered your codes even though it is the foam that causes the problem?

Thanks in advance.

G

Last edited by gcam77; 09-24-19 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-25-19, 08:30 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

ALso worth noting is you might as welll replace the coolant crossover gasket. Mine has evidence of leak (crystal formation and gunk) at 160k miles. The gasket themselves were a bit baked on due to age so i had to spend a bit of time cleaning the surface... which wasnt fun.... Oh and also starter contacts.

Those without issues on the SAIS, just run a bypass now as a preventative and remove it for smog when the time comes.
Old 10-10-19, 04:53 PM
gcam77
Driver

I tackled this DIY over the weekend and it went well.
Total parts from Toyota $382.31 not including the pump, which I got from amazon for $99.08, $481.59 in total. That is only $77.59 more than the $404.00 for the bypass.
The DIY video is very good,the only thing I had to do differently from the video was not tighten down the bolts on the valves at the back until all four bolts for each valve has been started by hand. Special tools I used in addition to the low profile 10 mm socket were flexible extension bars and magnetic sockets.

No more codes/CEL, runs great again.
Old 10-10-19, 05:37 PM
BHux78
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status

https://youtu.be/scNqAgg-N74

Should have ordered a couple more off these...that 10mm socket always grows legs and walks off!
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (10-10-19)
Old 02-22-23, 06:11 PM
polar
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/R Check engine light still on

Im a new member to CL and searched for Secondary air injection pump code I have a 2006 Lexus GX 470 with a code of Secondary air injection pump So I replaced air injection pump and diverter valve and hoses BUT did not change driver and passenger side CHECK VALVES on firewall and check engine light still shows Secondary air injection pump code Should I change CHECK VALVES?
Old 02-23-23, 10:05 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by polar
Im a new member to CL and searched for Secondary air injection pump code I have a 2006 Lexus GX 470 with a code of Secondary air injection pump So I replaced air injection pump and diverter valve and hoses BUT did not change driver and passenger side CHECK VALVES on firewall and check engine light still shows Secondary air injection pump code Should I change CHECK VALVES?
What codes are you getting? The valves stuck open or the valves stuck closed? Either way you will probably have to deal with those valves or get the SAIS bypass. Slyfox has a very affordable unit. Not as slick and plug and play as the Hewitt but it does the job. I have had mine on for years now and it passes smog and everything. Remember, this SAIS system only runs for about 10 seconds at cold start up to heat the catalytic converters faster to reduce potential smog gasses until the cats heat up. After the catalytics are warmed up (happens very fast, don't ask me how I know), this system does nothing for smog reduction.
Old 02-24-23, 06:45 AM
Fb45
3rd Gear

Thank you for the parts list resources and video!!
Old 03-01-23, 02:22 PM
Fb45
3rd Gear

I have purchased a 2009 GX 470 with a plug and play that I recently discovered after looking into the engine compartment and removing engine covers. I am having emissions issues code P0420. After some research this (Plug and Play, maybe a Hewitt) plugs into the MAF sensor on the air filter compartment and temp switch on the engine block and has two plates covers on each side of the engine near the exhaust pipes. Looks like this maybe my issue and I will start the purchase of the parts and replacement. Lesson learned on the purchase I will remove engine covers and do a better inspection of my next used vehicle purchase and have mechanic do an inspection also. Thanks for the great video and help!

Temp switch on engine block

Plate on pipe on both sides on engine

MAF sensor

Wire to fuse box

Unit attached to air filter 1 wire to temp switch, 1 wire to MAF, 1 wire to fuse box

Last edited by Fb45; 03-03-23 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-03-23, 09:52 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Fb45
I have purchased a 2009 GX 470 with a plug and play that I recently discovered after looking into the engine compartment and removing engine covers. I am having emissions issues code P0420. After some research this (Plug and Play, maybe a Hewitt) plugs into the MAF sensor on the air filter compartment and temp switch on the engine block and has two plates covers on each side of the engine near the exhaust pipes. Looks like this maybe my issue and I will start the purchase of the parts and replacement. Lesson learned on the purchase I will remove engine covers and do a better inspection of my next used vehicle purchase and have mechanic do an inspection also. Thanks for the great video and help!
Do you have pics of the unit? There are a few companies which sell these units and it would be interesting to know which one is giving you an issue.