GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Need some quick buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 08:26 AM
claytormat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some quick buying advice

2003 GX470 Nav, rear entertainment system 104,000K New timing belt / water pump and meticulous maintenance at independent shop. New tires and brakes

BUT!! Car sat for up to 3 years, not sure if it was started on occasion. ( last inspection was 2015 )

Oil looked good, did not smell like gas, brake fluid also good. Belts hoses also looked good, no leaks while car was running in the driveway.

Emergency brake will not fully release.

Seller replaced battery and car was started and running. Cannot drive , must be viewed in the driveway ( think auction )

Typical windows don't work after battery swap, but also don't work at individual window control, tried de activating lockout, still no luck. No blinking lights at each control, but drivers window works. I am guessing they can still be reinitialized

As I said car was running fine in driveway. Worried a bit on the length of time sitting, bad fuel, etc.

Trying to get for around 7k all in if possible.

Go for it or run away ??

Anything else you think I should be concerned w/ ?

Any advice would be great
Old 02-13-18, 09:38 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Sitting for 3 years is somewhat of a concern. It's really hard to say. The way they make the gaskets these days I personally would use it as a bit of leverage. Saying once the engine heats up, expands,contracts, oil pressure and other fluids get up to operating temp and back down, it's hard to say if anything is going to leak or not. I owned a repair shop for years and saw many cars that sat, be brought to life with no issues. Personally I would try to get it a little cheaper if possible. The Windows, don't quote me, I THINK have individual fuses, are the switches lighting up at all? A big concern of mine would be the dash! Is it cracked or was it replaced by Lexus? I know when I bought my 03 the dash was split in 2! I used it as negotiating power, from reading and such, I remembered "something" about the dashboards, but either way I was buying it. As it turns out, got a new dash also free of charge
Old 02-13-18, 09:43 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Wait! Cannot drive? Not even around the block or local? If you were to buy it and get pulled over, a home made bill of sale is proof enough to not get a ticket. If they won't let you drive it the trans or differentials could be messed up. In a auction like situation then offer 3 grand or WALK!
Old 02-13-18, 09:52 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Why did it sit for 3 years? I mean I own several vehicles and sure it's nice to have a newer 1, idk what area or what other vehicle this seller has, but it's always nice to get in the old 1 after a while. If you live in a climate that all wheel or 4 wheel drive is a must part of the year and this sellers other vehicle is not AWD, then something is up! Do your investigating, ask questions, read body language. If they dont want to answer, or seem short or frustrated, not making sense, they are not being honest . Take your time, talk to them, even ask the same question different ways. If im buying something that i cant drive, to me its worth just a little more than scrap metal price.
Old 02-13-18, 09:54 AM
claytormat
Driver School Candidate

Default great feedback, thanks!

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
Sitting for 3 years is somewhat of a concern. It's really hard to say. The way they make the gaskets these days I personally would use it as a bit of leverage. Saying once the engine heats up, expands,contracts, oil pressure and other fluids get up to operating temp and back down, it's hard to say if anything is going to leak or not. I owned a repair shop for years and saw many cars that sat, be brought to life with no issues. Personally I would try to get it a little cheaper if possible. The Windows, don't quote me, I THINK have individual fuses, are the switches lighting up at all? A big concern of mine would be the dash! Is it cracked or was it replaced by Lexus? I know when I bought my 03 the dash was split in 2! I used it as negotiating power, from reading and such, I remembered "something" about the dashboards, but either way I was buying it. As it turns out, got a new dash also free of charge

Thanks, I don't recall blinking lights on the switches, but was not looking as I found out about resetting after I viewed the vehicle.

Really appreciate the feedback
Old 02-13-18, 09:59 AM
claytormat
Driver School Candidate

Default You make great points

Wait! Cannot drive? Not even around the block or local? If you were to buy it and get pulled over, a home made bill of sale is proof enough to not get a ticket. If they won't let you drive it the trans or differentials could be messed up. In a auction like situation then offer 3 grand or WALK!

Thanks ! I was able to put it in gear, F & R and move it back and forth, everything sounds smooth, but you are right. It is an auction and all the bids except one came BEFORE inspection day. It is at 4600 now. Next bid price is 4750.

I spent a 1/2 hour on the phone w/ the ;any from the shop it was serviced at since 2006 and they were very good on all aspects of care, no issues until the owner passed away. ( that is why it sat, she was either incapacitated or had already died shortly after the last inspection in 2015 )
Old 02-13-18, 10:03 AM
claytormat
Driver School Candidate

Default really good points

Why did it sit for 3 years? I mean I own several vehicles and sure it's nice to have a newer 1, idk what area or what other vehicle this seller has, but it's always nice to get in the old 1 after a while. If you live in a climate that all wheel or 4 wheel drive is a must part of the year and this sellers other vehicle is not AWD, then something is up! Do your investigating, ask questions, read body language. If they dont want to answer, or seem short or frustrated, not making sense, they are not being honest . Take your time, talk to them, even ask the same question different ways. If im buying something that i cant drive, to me its worth just a little more than scrap metal price.

It is an auction, so unfortunately none of those cues are available. 4WD is rarely needed here and it was an older persons car that was never taken offload. The owner was either incapacitated or had already died shortly after the last inspection in 2015, hat is why it has been sitting.
Old 02-13-18, 10:52 AM
drcscruggs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would probably buy it, I don't think you will be too disappointed. I certainly would if I were in your spot. Hope it turns out good for you. Best.
The following users liked this post:
claytormat (02-13-18)
Old 02-13-18, 11:02 AM
TDC1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, although there is some risk, it sounds like a really, really good deal at $4,750 - please keep us posted.
Old 02-13-18, 11:15 AM
claytormat
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

I will keep you posted for sure !
Old 02-13-18, 11:16 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

If you have the vin you can go on the Lexus owners site make sure the famous THUMP was updated! Check out if there was any other issues and the history. Imo it's a good year, no VVT, trans has a dipstick and I never did research but there is talk of our year not being a interference engine. I absolutely love mine, the first road trip I made I was hauling on the highway, I knew I was cruising and when I looked down and saw 115mph! I was shocked how smooth it was, then thought it was a good time to see if there was any difference between the handling modes, put it in Sport mode, it definitely makes a little difference . My next big project is the complete front and rear suspension. I'm keeping it factory, just my opinion . Great mileage also, I bought mine with about that. Only had minor issues, wheel bearing, I need to do the transfercase, then just routine maintenance.
Old 02-13-18, 11:16 AM
claytormat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drcscruggs
I would probably buy it, I don't think you will be too disappointed. I certainly would if I were in your spot. Hope it turns out good for you. Best.

I will let you know, good chance the bidding will go past my number, but we will see.
Old 02-13-18, 11:18 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

For $5 grand if it's clean outside and in I would buy it just to have another and for the deal!
Old 02-13-18, 11:22 AM
claytormat
Driver School Candidate

Default Rut Row!

If you have the vin you can go on the Lexus owners site make sure the famous THUMP was updated! Check out if there was any other issues and the history. Imo it's a good year, no VVT, trans has a dipstick and I never did research but there is talk of our year not being a interference engine. I absolutely love mine, the first road trip I made I was hauling on the highway, I knew I was cruising and when I looked down and saw 115mph! I was shocked how smooth it was, then thought it was a good time to see if there was any difference between the handling modes, put it in Sport mode, it definitely makes a little difference . My next big project is the complete front and rear suspension. I'm keeping it factory, just my opinion . Great mileage also, I bought mine with about that. Only had minor issues, wheel bearing, I need to do the transfercase, then just routine maintenance.
_update, I found what you meant by THUMP ! ___
I did enter the VIN at the site and did not see any updates! These folks really stuck with independent shops, what is THUMP ? Just searched the forums and did not see it

Last edited by claytormat; 02-13-18 at 11:33 AM. Reason: left something out! found THUMP!
Old 02-14-18, 05:43 AM
claytormat
Driver School Candidate

Hi everybody, just a quick update !

I think this one is going a little higher than I want to pay w/o being able to drive it and that it sat for 3 years. It is the 15% buyers premium that is starting to much it out of range now as if it sells at the next big of 6000, you are really paying 6900. I think it will go higher, maybe to 7 or 7500. So really minimum you are looking at is 8600. The vehicle needs front CV boots as well I learned from discussions w/ the shop.

Just for kicks, take a look:

http://farmer.rasmuscatalog.com/cgi-...gi?farmer35/11

Quick Reply: Need some quick buying advice