GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Override and Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 04:33 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Jtbmoore

Thats what I have been asking for over 2 months but no one will answer. I think if you are not using a switch you have to cut the green wire and then attach it to any metal bracket surface to ground the wire.

Last edited by Tony; 09-21-05 at 04:34 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 09-21-05, 04:57 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Switch

Originally Posted by Tony

Thats what I have been asking for over 2 months but no one will answer. I think if you are not using a switch you have to cut the green wire and then attach it to any metal bracket surface to ground the wire.
Tony.....

You have to use a switch, in fact two switches. Unless you use the recommended double pole double throw toggle switch. One side of the switch grounds the brake wire, the other disconnects the speed sensor. When you push the toggle switch again, the brake and speed sensor reverts to the default setting.

If you are watching TV or a movie and push the toggle switch button, the nav system will appear on the screen, but you can continue to listen to the sound of the TV or movie. Anyhow, that's how mine works.

~ Cap
Old 09-22-05, 02:40 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Thanks Cap

I was under the impression that you did not have to use a switch but I guess not.

Thanks Cap
Old 09-25-05, 07:57 AM
jtbmoore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the DVD override yesterday. The whole project took about 30 minutes. With the step by step instructions and pictures in this thread it was a piece of cake. I did not install a switch. Thanks to everyone for the help. Next for me is the Vias.
Old 09-28-05, 06:59 AM
bert68ku
Driver School Candidate

Default idiot installer

Would it be possible for someone to post a basic wiring diagram for this. I plan on doing this mod this weekend but I am still a little unser how to wire the switch.

Do you ground to the some piece of metal in the car ?
Old 09-28-05, 08:50 AM
jtbmoore
Driver School Candidate

I grounded the wire to a bare metal bolt on the side of the navi. It is very obvious when you pull the navi out. I did not use a switch.

Just a note, I have never installed a car stereo in my life, let alone pull a dash apart. It is a piece of cake.
Old 09-28-05, 09:38 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Jtbmoore

So you did not use a switch? you just grounded the monitor side green wire to a bolt? what did you do with the other end of the green wire?
Old 09-28-05, 10:16 AM
jtbmoore
Driver School Candidate

I put wire nuts and taped all connections that were no longer needed. I crimped on a "U" type connector that went to the ground bolt. Let me know if you have any questions. PM me if you want.
Old 09-28-05, 02:27 PM
Greg Smith
Driver School Candidate

I have an 05 GX470 - Got to the connector, but my wiring appears different. Wires appear smaller, and there is no green or violet w/red stripe on the connector. Is there a different schematic for the 05? What year was your mod done on?
Old 10-03-05, 08:33 AM
jtbmoore
Driver School Candidate

I am not positive but I think the 05 is the same. The Violet wire with red is not real noticeable. The wires also look way bigger in the pictures. In the first few posts it states the wire numbers. Just count the pins and you will figure out the correct wires. It is very easy.
Old 10-03-05, 11:13 AM
dreamgx
Driver School Candidate

Default jtbmoore

jtbmoore,
so what you did was just cut and grounded the green wire from the nav then taped the other end of the green wire? Since you didn't use a switch, did you have to cut the other violet wire?
Also by not using a switch, is the DVD on all the time? how do you switch back and forth between map and DVD?
Thanks
Old 10-03-05, 02:08 PM
jtbmoore
Driver School Candidate

you must cut both. I believe one is the parking brake and the other is a speed sensor. Just tape/wire nut the both ends of the violet wire.

Switching between DVD and NAV is just like if you were parked.
Old 10-17-05, 05:45 PM
pdantoni
Driver School Candidate

Default 2005 GX 470 DVD-NAV Operation

I followed the instructions,outlined in the very begining of this thread this past weekend...EXCELLENT instructions...Thanks. However, 2005'ers will see three plugs in the back of the NAV. Within the white plug closest to the end, contains a violet (purple) looking wire with a red stripe and a light green wire. Those are definately your target wires. I, too, as instructed installed the Radio Shack switch. Everything works great. I recommend slowly and gently prying up the wood trim from the bottom using the handle of plyers that are rubber coded (this seemed to work well). Cutting into the wires of a 50+k automobile does take big ones...but you can always put it back. I used wire connectors to splice and connect the wires.

Good Luck and thanks for the great instructions!

PS. Check out the Navigation Override instructions located in another thread. It provides instructions on how to access a back door...allow destination setting while in motion.
Old 10-19-05, 04:51 AM
knn2
Driver School Candidate

Question headrest monitors

Hello;

Please anyone can help me out.

The roof mount monitor is too high for my kids to see, so i would like to add the two headrest monitors to my GX.

Please show me where / how can i get the video signal feed to the monitor?

thank you
Old 10-24-05, 12:25 AM
rgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pdantoni
However, 2005'ers will see three plugs in the back of the NAV. Within the white plug closest to the end, contains a violet (purple) looking wire with a red stripe and a light green wire. .
Pdantony,
I do have 2005 with three plugs.
What do you mean by the white plug closest to the end? Is it right or left side when you are looking from behind? I would really appreciate if you can be more detail on this. I am kinda nervous about cutting the wrong wires.

thanks for the info in advance,

rsg

Quick Reply: DVD Override and Pictures!