GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

vehicle buy back

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-03, 11:49 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vehicle buy back

they bought back my vehicle... its no longer with me hopefully the 04's will weigh more

Last edited by Kash; 06-28-03 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-28-03, 01:16 PM
rbridges
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me and you both. I bought a Yukon in the meantime. Probably get the GX in early '04 if the weight is adjusted.
Old 06-28-03, 03:38 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

The weight should be 6001lbs on the 04 models. Wish they would buy back my GX.
Old 06-28-03, 05:49 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

How much did they pay?
Old 06-28-03, 06:44 PM
rbridges
Driver School Candidate

Question where'd you hear it

Originally posted by w4rjd
The weight should be 6001lbs on the 04 models. Wish they would buy back my GX.
how do you know? Are you guessing or do you know something official? I figured the GVWR would be raised but I also figured Lexus knew how to weigh a car.
Old 06-28-03, 11:36 PM
bgomez
Driver School Candidate

Just curious, why did you sell it back to them. What was your arguement and what did you get for it? Don't mean to be nosy but just curious.
Thanks, Bill
Old 06-29-03, 05:57 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Re: where'd you hear it

Originally posted by rbridges
how do you know? Are you guessing or do you know something official? I figured the GVWR would be raised but I also figured Lexus knew how to weigh a car.
I don't think it is a question of Lexus knowing how to weigh a car...it is a formula. The curb weight of the vehicle with I believe 1/4 tank of gas, plus a certain amount for the available cargo space, plus an average weight for each passenger. I think what may be in question is the ability to use that set weight for the 3rd row passengers since Lexus themselves have stated that the 3rd row is meant to be for children, or passengers under 5' 2". If that's the case, I don't think they could justify the 185lbs per person average that is used, and they likely had to scale it back by 100lbs.

Just my thoughts on it anyway...I fell bad for all of you guys that got stuck in a bad spot on this one, but it may not have been entirely Lexus' call on this one...let's ask ourselves who stands to gain or lose on this if the GVWR is not Sec 179 eligible.
Old 06-29-03, 06:20 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

I was told by the Sales Manager at a large Lexus dealer of the weight change for 2004 models. Lexus calles this mess up the $2.4 millioin pound. That has been the cost to date.
Old 06-29-03, 06:25 AM
rbridges
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: where'd you hear it

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
I don't think it is a question of Lexus knowing how to weigh a car...it is a formula. The curb weight of the vehicle with I believe 1/4 tank of gas, plus a certain amount for the available cargo space, plus an average weight for each passenger. I think what may be in question is the ability to use that set weight for the 3rd row passengers since Lexus themselves have stated that the 3rd row is meant to be for children, or passengers under 5' 2". If that's the case, I don't think they could justify the 185lbs per person average that is used, and they likely had to scale it back by 100lbs.

Just my thoughts on it anyway...I fell bad for all of you guys that got stuck in a bad spot on this one, but it may not have been entirely Lexus' call on this one...let's ask ourselves who stands to gain or lose on this if the GVWR is not Sec 179 eligible.
Honesty, most 3rd rows are for children (realistically). I haven't seen one in an SUV that was designed for a full size adult. I'd be surprised if lexus had to modify the formula. I figured they just added something wrong in computing the gross weight. I don't know where the error originated, but it has really caused a lot of turmoil.

oh well, water under the bridge. just waiting til 04
Old 06-29-03, 06:36 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bgomez
Just curious, why did you sell it back to them. What was your arguement and what did you get for it? Don't mean to be nosy but just curious.
Thanks, Bill
that we cant get the ~30 tax rightoff the first year
Old 06-29-03, 09:23 AM
major1
Driver School Candidate

Anticipate them buying mine also.

Thats 4 people I now know are in the process of doing this!

Big financial hit for Lexus...seems like they really screwed up on this which is amazing for such a professional company????
Old 06-29-03, 01:26 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default I think we need to stop pointing fingers

Originally posted by major1

Big financial hit for Lexus...seems like they really screwed up on this which is amazing for such a professional company????
Are any of us here really sure that Lexus screwed up here? Do you honestly all think (in a post Enron environment) that ANY company, especially one known for quality (i.e. well respected) would stake their reputation on something like this to stack on a few sales. I'm still betting that there is a higher regulatory power that caused the change...let's face it, the IRS stands to lose the most if the GVWR stayed at 6100.

Let's keep the finger pointing to a minimum here unless someone knows all of the facts of the GVWR issue.
Old 06-29-03, 04:00 PM
major1
Driver School Candidate

Johnny Mo,

Please read all the posts & comprehend all the different answers Lexus has been putting out!

Posts relating to: VIBRATION..GVWR...IRS ISSUES...DEBIT CARD...etc...etc...

People are awaiting information and dont get it from Lexus. If they do get an answer it's different depending on what part of the country you are in!

Note I said: "Seems like"

So Johnny Mo.... Please dont tell us to keep the finger pointing to a minimum. I am reporting facts!

Even my dealer is telling me "They dont know what is going on with LEXUS!

Question: What is your relationship to Lexus or a Lexus dealer?

Enquiring minds need to know?
Old 06-29-03, 05:22 PM
modelaford
Driver

Lightbulb

Major1 , I think in a previous post he said his wife worked for Lexus. Last time I called lexus on the vibration I was told that there is no cure and they are suposed to vibrate. Dealer still says they are working on a cure, now who is lying to who. I hope they get everyone of these SOB's back and melt them for scrape cause that is all they are worth.
Old 06-29-03, 05:31 PM
bgomez
Driver School Candidate

For those who have had Lexus buy their cars back, what price did you get and with what mileage?
Thanks, Bill

Quick Reply: vehicle buy back