GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Vibrations over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-17, 04:40 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Vibrations over bumps

When I drive the car at low speed less than 40 mph over uneven pavement or bumpy roads, I can feel all the vibrations, noise and bumps and the car doesn't seem to absorb most of it. Also the front and rear seats vibrate and make noise. I have relatively new Billstein shocks both front and rear (less than 20k miles) on original springs and air bags @ 150k miles. On highway speeds the ride is very smooth, but at low speed i can hear the road noise and vibrations associated with uneven pavement. What can i do to smooth out the ride at lower speed?

I'm soon planning to change the boots and axle. Is there anything else I should change at this time from maintenance perspective? - ex tie rod ends, bearings, any bushings, etc.
Old 10-27-17, 05:26 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would check everything... that is to say I would check tie rods, wheel bearings. Check to make sure your shocks are not loose and are all properly installed. Check your end links both front and rear. Check your skid plates and make sure they are fully snugged. Also check sway bar bushings and mounts.
Old 10-27-17, 10:21 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Cool. I'll see what my mechanic finds. I usually buy parts online before I take it to the shop and ask him to replace everything. Last time I took it for service, he showed one of the boots was leaking so just for preventive maintenance I'm not only going to get boots replaced on both sides, but the axle as well...not sure what other parts come with the axle which might improve the issue I described. If there is anything not too pricey you think I should replace down there while boots/axle are being replaced, please let me know. I'll also ask him to inspect everything in my next visit and go from there.
Old 10-27-17, 11:17 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Might want to get new seals if you are replacing axles. OEM axles do not come with the seals. I think they are around $15 a piece.
Old 12-16-17, 04:45 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

I'm buying the CARDONE SELECT 665235HD from Rockauto for $70/each. Do you know the part # for seals? I tried to search for just seals, but not sure if they're the ones that belong there.

At 150k miles, should I replace anything else that may be wearing off and giving the car not so solid feel going over uneven surface? Tie rod ends, for example? So far I've only replaced the front and rear shocks with Bilstein 5100. For rears, I'm going to be doing a coil conversion once the bags go off in not so distant future....I'm somewhat starting to feel bumps in the rear end of the car too.

Also, my rear seats vibrate and make noises when I go over uneven surfaces. Is there anything I can tighten to make them more solid? I'm planning to keep this car for a very long time even when I buy something new, so would like to keep up on routine maintenance.
Old 12-25-17, 05:47 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

So based on some feedback on ih8mud, I think I'm going to replace the boots only and not the axle. It seems people have experienced issues with Cardone axles when they turn the wheel at full lock. Just trying to be proactive in all preventive maintenance since I plan on keeping this GX for a while. My knowledge in suspension and car mechanics in general is only limited to what I read on the forums, so appreciate any advice you may have.