Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

clunk and popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 07:41 AM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry clunk and popping noise

I get this clunking/popping noise from the front end when I go over speed bumps, small bumps in the roads at low speeds and when entering or exiting driveways. I replaced my ball joints and tie rods a year ago. I've done a search and it sounds like the UCA bushings? Anyone has or have had these symtoms?

I'm on 20's, H&R springs w/ bilsteins shocks/struts (had the shocks for a few months) and a tower brace.
Old 02-21-09, 06:11 AM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

nothing anyone?
Old 02-21-09, 09:57 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your sway bar endlinks to make sure that they are in good condition. Also, check out the sway bar mouting bracket to make sure that its not crack.
Old 02-22-09, 11:47 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Bring it to the mechanics, they should check it free.
Old 02-23-09, 12:45 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

i had this problem only when the wheel was slightly turned out and i would go over a bump... for example backing out of a driveway and turning out... when the wheel would hit from the driveway to the road, the bump would cause a click/pop...

it turned out to be my UCA ball joint...
Old 02-23-09, 03:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Clunks, squeeks, and popping noises are very common with the Lexus GS stock or modded and it seems it rarely gets properly diagnosed or fixed and is a big mystery why so many GS make creaking squeeking noises when it goes over speed bumps or bumps. It is amazing how it is such a common problem yet mechanics or Lexus seem clueless what it is and how to fix it. My "luxury" GS sounds worse then a old 70's junky American car going over bumps with the loud squeeking creaking noise it makes and after taking it to several mechanics nobody seems to know exactly what it is or how to stop it without experimenting and replacing a bunch of expensive parts until they find it which there is no way I am paying that much money to just stop a annoying creaking noise. I have lubricated the exposed bolts in the suspension area and it still does not seem to make any difference. Mechanics say my ball joints are fine. If I had to guess it may be the shock that is making the noise but who knows, it does not make the noise if I have the car stopped and push up and down on the front of the car, only when it is moving and going over bumps so I don't know how you can diagnose it.
Old 02-23-09, 03:42 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Clunks, squeeks, and popping noises are very common with the Lexus GS stock or modded and it seems it rarely gets properly diagnosed or fixed and is a big mystery why so many GS make creaking squeeking noises when it goes over speed bumps or bumps. It is amazing how it is such a common problem yet mechanics or Lexus seem clueless what it is and how to fix it. My "luxury" GS sounds worse then a old 70's junky American car going over bumps with the loud squeeking creaking noise it makes and after taking it to several mechanics nobody seems to know exactly what it is or how to stop it without experimenting and replacing a bunch of expensive parts until they find it which there is no way I am paying that much money to just stop a annoying creaking noise. I have lubricated the exposed bolts in the suspension area and it still does not seem to make any difference. Mechanics say my ball joints are fine. If I had to guess it may be the shock that is making the noise but who knows, it does not make the noise if I have the car stopped and push up and down on the front of the car, only when it is moving and going over bumps so I don't know how you can diagnose it.
Sounds like top hats. Maybe grease the top hats with lithium grease and see what happens.
Old 02-23-09, 03:46 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kamlung
i had this problem only when the wheel was slightly turned out and i would go over a bump... for example backing out of a driveway and turning out... when the wheel would hit from the driveway to the road, the bump would cause a click/pop...

it turned out to be my UCA ball joint...
how did you know if the UCA ball joint is bad if I was looking at it?
Old 02-23-09, 04:06 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

you need to lift the front of the car up... then put one hand at the 12 o'clock position of the wheel and the other hand at the 6 o'clock position... push back and forth between both hands to rock the wheel up and down... while you are doing this, look at your ball joint and listen for clicking...

mine was to the point where the rubber boot was ripped and i could see the ball joint moving back and forth inside...
Old 02-23-09, 04:11 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kevin.tran
how did you know if the UCA ball joint is bad if I was looking at it?
The proper way to test is to remove and test with a torque wrench according to the service manual.
Old 02-23-09, 04:32 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

thanks guys for your help I'll try Kamlung's method first if nothing than I'll try to go to lexus again. Last time they said it was my shocks so I replaced that and didn't help. I'll tell them I think it's my UCA's or something
Old 02-23-09, 04:34 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

I had a clicking noise when I pressed the brake pedal and rotated the wheel right to left. it turned out that my left upper control arm balljoint was done.
Old 02-23-09, 04:37 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Spyder78
I had a clicking noise when I pressed the brake pedal and rotated the wheel right to left. it turned out that my left upper control arm balljoint was done.
what about the bushings? If the UCA balljoint is good?
Old 02-24-09, 12:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Sounds like top hats. Maybe grease the top hats with lithium grease and see what happens.
Are the "top hats" the same as strut mounts or the suspension pieces/bolts you can gain access to by popping the hood that have the plastic covers on them covering the 3 bolts with rubber grommets on them, if so I did spray some white lithium grease on them recently, I might try some more.
Old 02-26-09, 08:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I think it may possibly be the top hats or the center strut bolt that is accessed under hood near the engine that is making the noise. I tried to tighten the center bolt and noticed it started making a similar creaking noise when I put pressure on it to try and move it back and forth. I sprayed it with more Lithium grease but it did not make any difference after taking it for a test drive. Not sure if it is the struts making the creaking noise that may need to be replaced or just the top hat strut mount or portion accessible under hood that is making the noise that may need to be replaced. Would be nice if it was just the top hat portion as it is a much less expensive part and would be much easier to replace. The car does not ride roughly, it just makes that ugly noise.

Quick Reply: clunk and popping noise