GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Gx470 p1445

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 02:55 PM
BalaDix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gx470 p1445

I have a 2007 GX470 with 115k miles on it.
I got a P1445 which I was told would be solved if I got a new smog pump and the Valve too. I did not install the OEM parts, but got some premium parts from advance auto parts.
So after install by a local mechanic, the next day I start the GX and it came back with the CEL and all the other lights.
Took it to the mechanic again, he reset and rode a few days and 'according to him' he did not see the CEL lights. I pick it from him and get the lights again.
Now the mechanic says he may need to install the OEM to fix the issue.
What should I do ?
Although the code says P1445, could it be not be the Valve, could it be some other part other the Valve and the pump, which I have replaced ?
Another piece of information is that when the original pump that got replaced had a part of the outer casing that looked melted. I saw in some video it could be the relay which is not shutting off, which could overheat the pump coils and burn/melt it.

In summary, I got a P1445, replaced the Pump and Valve with non-OEM parts (which are under replacement warranty for 1 yr), and after the install, the code is still the same. What should I do next please ?

Thanks for the awesomeoness on this forum..
Old 09-30-17, 06:11 AM
freddiekd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smog pump, valves

Did the mech. replace the valves? There are three and the two closest to the firewall are hell to replace often left unchanged. Took me three hours to replace those valves. The space is so small human hands and wrenches will barely fit and I mean barely get in there. My guess is one of the valves is stuck since you mentioned melting of plastic on the blower. Ask mech. if he changed the valves.
The following users liked this post:
BalaDix (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 09:25 AM
BalaDix
Driver School Candidate

Freddie Sir,
You are awesome already.
The only parts replaced as per the invoice I have are the Air Pump itself and the Air Pump Control Valve and the INT Manifold Gasket.
Looks like the mechanic has not replaced the valves.
Does that seem correct ?
Thanks much
Old 10-02-17, 07:59 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bala, you really have only 2 options at this point:

1. Have your local mechanic replace the valves, and hope that aftermarket parts will work...

2. Check out the following link and order one of their kits https://hewitt-tech.com/store/index....&p=codes#P2440

Since the code that you got indicates that the valve is stuck in the closed position, you are in no immediate danger, but you do need to have the issue fixed soon.

Good luck.
BalaDix (10-03-17)
Old 10-03-17, 07:59 AM
freddiekd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smog pump valves

The mech can test the first valve reasonably easily as it’s easy to remove and test. One connector is for 12 volts and the other is (I think?) a sensor. Don’t test the low voltage (sensor)with 12 volts. You know what would happen if high voltage is applied to low voltage sensor. Also if the blower has broken pieces they could end up in that first valve.
The two valves in the rear of the engine near the firewall are vacuum operated. One can do a some what preliminary test by removing the two vacuum hoses from the two small control valves on the left side of the intake midway. One at a time you can suck on the vacuum hoses leading to the back valves and listen to hear them open and close. If the do they’re probably ok. If no “shut” sound is heard it could be stuck. Hope I didn’t confuse you and hope I helped. Sorry I don’t remember the names of the valves and wish I knew how to post pics. Oh yes, the big hose that Is on the front large valve can be very brittle and may leak. Mine was so hard and brittle that it broke when trying to remove. Probably good idea to replace it too if hard and brittle. Be sure to use the correct hose. Good luck and please let me know how it goes.
BalaDix (10-03-17)
Old 10-03-17, 05:06 PM
BalaDix
Driver School Candidate

snhrph,
sincere thanks for the reply. I asked the advance auto guys for a price. It is $135 per valve, which is not OEM, while the ebay sells OEM for 75$. I am surprised that my mechanic did not replace the valves when the code said it was valve 2 stuck. I realized lately that there are three valves , one diverter valve which goes with the smog air pump and there are two other valves close to the firewall. In the process the expenses are touching $2K. but it is what it is. maybe ride for a few more and trade it in.
Since I have already replaced the pump and the diverter valve, the option 2 of bypass kit may not work.
Thanks again for your responses.
Appreciate it.
Old 10-03-17, 05:10 PM
BalaDix
Driver School Candidate

Freddie Sir,
I will honestly tell you that the mechanic will not be able to do what you have mentioned above :-). I will consider myself lucky, if he is able to successfully change the 2 valves and get rid of the Christmas lights I have on the dashboard :-)
As mentioned above, I will order for the 2 valves and get ripped again and get the two valves replaced. Don't have a choice.
Will surely let you know how it goes and THANKS a lot for your response.