LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Paging Healerhand or anyone who took out PS pump

Old 10-18-01, 06:49 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paging Healerhand or anyone who took out PS pump

I can see the front nut and front bolts, but I don't see the other two bolts. Do I have to craw under in order to get at the other bolts.
How did you take the pulley off? Can I get the pulley off without the special tools? Please telll me how.

Thanks
Old 10-19-01, 09:14 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got smart. i paid someone to do it for me. He charged me $150 for the labor. come to think of it, it not too hard anyway. I just dont have the time.

PS pump costed me $179 (re-build with new seals) and Labor $150. The total of $329.

The OEM PS pump is about $580. Please let me know if you info on Re-builb PS pump. OEM PS pump will last about 120,000 miles. If my re-build give me 90,000, i will be very happy
Old 10-19-01, 06:07 PM
fantomd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VQT Removing the P/S pump is difficult. there is a 3rd nut that is in a very hard spot. So I went from under the car, but this is only if you just want to change the idel up valve. I have the shop manual I will scan the page on removing the pump. Maybe you will have better luck.

Peace
Old 10-20-01, 01:42 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

VQT, I was going to do the same and change my PS pump, but after looking at the manual and crawling under the car, I called my Lexus shop. Their book said 2.2 hours for an experienced Lexus mechanic. $154 to me. The best $154 I have ever spent. Getting the pulley off and getting to that third bolt is not fun. Save yourself for the other easier tasks!
Old 10-20-01, 07:10 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by fantomd
VQT Removing the P/S pump is difficult. there is a 3rd nut that is in a very hard spot. So I went from under the car, but this is only if you just want to change the idel up valve. I have the shop manual I will scan the page on removing the pump. Maybe you will have better luck.

Peace
I have the shop manual for my SC400, but it doesn't show how to take the pump off. Jut the picture showed how many bolts and nut to take off.

I would like to see how the LS400 manual on how to take the pump off to see if it any different from mine.

After many hours on top and under the car, I finally took the pump off. Since I don't have enough tools to change the O rings, I went and bought one from AutoZone. The pump will be here Tuesday. I'll try to put it in Wednesday and let you guy know how it goes.
Thanks,
Old 10-20-01, 07:25 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by petrojeff
VQT, I was going to do the same and change my PS pump, but after looking at the manual and crawling under the car, I called my Lexus shop. Their book said 2.2 hours for an experienced Lexus mechanic. $154 to me. The best $154 I have ever spent. Getting the pulley off and getting to that third bolt is not fun. Save yourself for the other easier tasks!
At the time I asked the question, I already took some bolts out and the car is in pieces. Beside I have to work on other things for the car. Change the trans. fluid, anti freeze, thermostat...

Took the pump out yesterday, Friday. Looks like I am going to buy the reman. pump from autozone this time $150 +$40 core +tax. I don't have enough tools to change the O rings.

How much did they charge you for the pump?

Did they give you a loaner to drive? My wife is out of town so no body can pick me up from the dealer or the shop...

Now that I know how to take the pump out, I can do it the next time around. I need to learn how to fix the car my self on the thig that easy enough to do at home
Old 10-20-01, 10:28 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Originally posted by VQT

Took the pump out yesterday, Friday. Looks like I am going to buy the reman. pump from autozone this time $150 +$40 core +tax. I don't have enough tools to change the O rings.

How much did they charge you for the pump?

Did they give you a loaner to drive? My wife is out of town so no body can pick me up from the dealer or the shop...

Got my remanufactured pump off ebay $145 shipping included. Banshagan@aol.com. Got a metal air control valve off a 95 Toyota for $25, got $40 for my old pump. Car was in the shop four hours, and it now doesnt leak, groan or give white smoke on startup. Painless!! However, I am now replacing the right front control arm myself!
Old 10-21-01, 10:06 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by petrojeff

Got my remanufactured pump off ebay $145 shipping included. Banshagan@aol.com. Got a metal air control valve off a 95 Toyota for $25, got $40 for my old pump. Car was in the shop four hours, and it now doesnt leak, groan or give white smoke on startup. Painless!! However, I am now replacing the right front control arm myself!
What's wrong with the control arm? Don't you suppose to replace those in pairs? Need to have wheel alignment each time anyway
Old 10-21-01, 10:32 AM
petrojeff
Driver

Nothing wrong with the control arm. The car makes rattling noises on the right side. It is caused by faulty cushion pillow blocks that insulate the upper control arm to the car body. The pillow blocks are not sold separately, and you must buy the control arm to get the pillow blocks. This was a TSB in 1992 and the pillow blocks were redesigned after that. 93 and more recent LS's dont have this problem. A new control arm with pillow blocks is $376.00 form the Lexus dealer. I got the arm with blocks from a 94 LS from the bone yard for $150. This is the last mechanical problem with this, and should be bulletproof from here on out!