GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

dash cluster went dark, will not turn over or start, loss of power then quit

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 08:10 AM
Justriding
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash cluster went dark, will not turn over or start, loss of power then quit

Several months ago while driving a 2006 GX the radio died and the fan quit and the clock went dark and so did the dash cluster and there was a noticeable and quick loss of power. I pulled off the road turned the car off an restarted and continued about another mile. The car was struggling for power and was unable to climb a hill so I pulled over again and shut off the engine, this time I was unable to get engine or get the starter to turn over. I was close to Walmart so I bought a new battery and installed it and nothing - entire engine cluster remained dark and engine starter or solenoid would not engage or show any sign of closed power circuit. I called a tow truck and had GX delivered to my warehouse where it has sat for several months. Today I finally had time to look at it. I attached a batterycharger and left it on for several hours until the green fully charge light came on.

The electrical stuff that died on the road has since come back on, I have forceful vent fan, door locks, windows, seats, mirrors, blinkers, dome light, digital clock, digital temp cluster (center console), headlight, horn, steering wheel auto position, door open beeping, etc. But still NO dash cluster in front of driver (gauges, etc) and no engine starter. When I leave my hand on the horn and turn on the lights there is no reduction in horn loudness and when I turn on the key to full start position there is no reduction in horn loudness. The battery seems to be fine and there does not seem to be an added load when the key is turned to start. I do notice that the digital clock goes dark when the key is moved to start position and clock reappears after key is returned to on position, but horn is not lowering in pitch during full key cycle. I did the horn test to see if the battery was weak when other loads were added. The ONLY thing appearing in the cluster is the red car icon with open doors and a red key icon inside of a car outline... Is it possible the computer is not noticing the key transponder code??? I have 2 keys and both keys have the same result. I do not think the computer is seeing the key.

I do notice a steady yellow light on the underside of the passenger side glove box, this yellow light would illuminate your knees to shoes if you were sitting in the car. I pulled off the plastic shroud and the yellow light wire harness goes to a computer tire pressure box and to a 4 wd computer box.

There were zero problems with the car prior to it losing all electrical and all gas power while driving before quitting, and the entire event took place from start to end in about 15 minutes.

I initially thought I fried the brain, but so many things are working I am now thinking it may be a sensor or a fuse. It almost acts like a low oil sensor is preventing closure of circuits but oil is full. The car has been very well cared for and has all services complete. Prior to this event the car has performed 100% perfect.

I am stumped. and I have never seen the yellow light on underside of passenger side glove box...

I also connected an Autel OBDII scanner and the only code I got was not a code but a connection failure - waiting for vehicle to respond - LINKING ERROR -

Help...
Old 09-29-17, 12:28 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

> I do notice that the digital clock goes dark when the key is moved to start position and clock reappears after key is returned to on position
Normal.

> I do notice a steady yellow light on the underside of the passenger side glove box
Normal - that's the ambient lighting. There's also a couple of LEDs by the sunroof that illuminate the shifter (nice!)

> connection failure - waiting for vehicle to respond - LINKING ERROR -
I think this is your problem - there's probably something that brought the CANBUS down. Either a bad module or a wiring fault. I don't know enough to help troubleshoot this.

Chip H.