GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Car dropping problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-17, 12:13 AM
bulletguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dropping problem

Hello All,
I'm a newbie here and have question regarding a used GX 470 I'm looking to purchase.
On test drive I felt that Car is dropping down from front on braking and I hear a soft thump when it has gone all the way down. I was able to raise the car up/down using height control, but didn't check if its coming back to N on high speed.
What can be probable cause of it? Am I looking at a huge repair bills?
Please throw some light on type of suspension in 09 GX 470.
Thanks,
Bulletguy.
Old 04-13-17, 08:35 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Leaking air suspension. Happens to older GXs. Parts cost isn't too bad, but the labor is relatively high. Some people have been able to swap them out themselves, but you need a special tool to remove the air hose.

If the seller is a Lexus or Toyota dealer, make it a condition of sale that this be fixed. If the vehicle is at another dealer, get the VIN and stop by the Lexus service department and ask for a repair quote, then take that off the asking price.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
bulletguy (04-14-17)
Old 04-14-17, 04:12 AM
bulletguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
Leaking air suspension. Happens to older GXs. Parts cost isn't too bad, but the labor is relatively high. Some people have been able to swap them out themselves, but you need a special tool to remove the air hose.

If the seller is a Lexus or Toyota dealer, make it a condition of sale that this be fixed. If the vehicle is at another dealer, get the VIN and stop by the Lexus service department and ask for a repair quote, then take that off the asking price.

Chip H.
Thank you Chip. H.
Two follow up questions
1) Air suspension is present on Front too?
2) When you lower/raise height of vehicle does it lower/raise from front and rear both? On my observation I saw it happening only on the rear.
Old 04-14-17, 05:26 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by bulletguy
Thank you Chip. H.
Two follow up questions
1) Air suspension is present on Front too?
2) When you lower/raise height of vehicle does it lower/raise from front and rear both? On my observation I saw it happening only on the rear.
air suspension is only the rear....
Old 04-14-17, 06:22 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

It's only on the back axle. The intended use is to maintain the height when towing, so your headlights aren't blinding oncoming drivers. Also to make it easier to load heavy stuff in the back (which TBH, doesn't make much difference as the drop is only like 1.5")

Chip H.
Old 04-14-17, 08:17 AM
helocat
Driver School Candidate

If the airbags are dropping, like anything, once you know how they are easy to remove. Also the airlines actualy do not take a special tool to remove them (at the airbag for service), just technique.

You can chose to replace them with new airbags ($$$$) or used ($$), or go to an aftermarket coil spring ($$). If you go to the coil spring you will never have an airbag issue again. You can chose from a stock height spring to a lift spring. The rear stock springs from 07-14 FJ Cruisers and 03 to 17 4Runners and 10-17 GX460 BASE. Or new replacements for them.

a. Remove the rear shock at the frame. (Note I like to pull the shock completely off the truck for more room)
b. Disconnect the rear sway bar at the frame mounts. IF you have KDSS (2009 probably does) then you leave the swaybar connected and open up the shutter valves on the KDSS pump on the drivers side frame. Easy to do just need to know were they are. Post up for help on that if you have KDSS.
c.To pull the airbags, from the wheel well use a long thin flat bladed screwdriver. You are going to reach between the body and the frame. There is a flat clip on a nipple that sits above the airbag mount. That clip has an edge that has a 90* flange on it. Use the screwdriver to push on the flange to push the clip off the nipple.
d. Lift the GX by the frame opening up the suspension. The air bag is only mechanically held in place by that little flat clip on top. On the bottom it just sits in the perch.
e. With the airbag dropped down the air line will still be atached to it. The clip that holds the airline is a pinch style to release. You pinch the sides and pull, it comes right out. NOTE: If you are converting from airbags to coil springs, just cut the airline to keep it simple. Watch out for it to whip around if it has pressure! (Safety glasses)

For air bag to coil conversion:
https://www.metaltech4x4.com/gx460-r...rsion-stage-2/
or
complete kit with stock hight springs:
https://www.metaltech4x4.com/gx460-r...rsion-stage-3/

(My personal GX470 I run a lifted coil spring in the back and the ride is far better than the stock airbags)

Mark
Old 04-19-17, 11:50 PM
bulletguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by helocat
If the airbags are dropping, like anything, once you know how they are easy to remove. Also the airlines actualy do not take a special tool to remove them (at the airbag for service), just technique.

You can chose to replace them with new airbags ($$$$) or used ($$), or go to an aftermarket coil spring ($$). If you go to the coil spring you will never have an airbag issue again. You can chose from a stock height spring to a lift spring. The rear stock springs from 07-14 FJ Cruisers and 03 to 17 4Runners and 10-17 GX460 BASE. Or new replacements for them.

a. Remove the rear shock at the frame. (Note I like to pull the shock completely off the truck for more room)
b. Disconnect the rear sway bar at the frame mounts. IF you have KDSS (2009 probably does) then you leave the swaybar connected and open up the shutter valves on the KDSS pump on the drivers side frame. Easy to do just need to know were they are. Post up for help on that if you have KDSS.
c.To pull the airbags, from the wheel well use a long thin flat bladed screwdriver. You are going to reach between the body and the frame. There is a flat clip on a nipple that sits above the airbag mount. That clip has an edge that has a 90* flange on it. Use the screwdriver to push on the flange to push the clip off the nipple.
d. Lift the GX by the frame opening up the suspension. The air bag is only mechanically held in place by that little flat clip on top. On the bottom it just sits in the perch.
e. With the airbag dropped down the air line will still be atached to it. The clip that holds the airline is a pinch style to release. You pinch the sides and pull, it comes right out. NOTE: If you are converting from airbags to coil springs, just cut the airline to keep it simple. Watch out for it to whip around if it has pressure! (Safety glasses)

For air bag to coil conversion:
https://www.metaltech4x4.com/gx460-r...rsion-stage-2/
or
complete kit with stock hight springs:
https://www.metaltech4x4.com/gx460-r...rsion-stage-3/

(My personal GX470 I run a lifted coil spring in the back and the ride is far better than the stock airbags)

Mark
Thank you.
Old 04-20-17, 12:20 AM
bulletguy
Driver School Candidate

That deal didn't work out. It was a stealership and they didn't want to lower their price even though there were two major issues 1. Radiator leak 2. Suspension problem discussed above. They were asking 14K for 08 GX470 with about 115K miles.
I've few options right now. Which one would you pick?
1) 07 with 165K miles for $11.5K (single owner)
2) 08 with 155K miles for $13K. (two owners)
3) 05 with 125K miles for $14K. (single owner)
4) 07 with 185K miles for 11.5K (owner did timing belt, rear airbags recently)
5) Wait few more days and find 08-09 model with low miles around 100K miles within $15K.

How many maximum miles can I get out of these vehicles? Is it worth buying car with high miles? 160-200K range?

Last edited by bulletguy; 04-20-17 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-21-17, 03:26 PM
bulletguy
Driver School Candidate

Finally pulled the trigger on this.
2007 GX470 with DVD, Navi and Towing package.
170K miles
Paid $10K.
Car has timing belt and rear shocks to be done, so was able to negotiate a bit.