GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 Blizzard Pearl paint peeling

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-17, 04:25 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 2004 Blizzard Pearl paint peeling

I have a 2004 blizzard pearl GX470 I bought it 3 years ago was in great shape inside and out. I just noticed I have several large round spots on the roof with the paint missing. In some areas on the roof the round shapes have now started to peel and making longer sections rectangular in shape and some irregular. You can see the galvanized metallic under the peeled paint. It has not rusted yet. I went to a body shop and they told me that Blizzard pearl paint had some issues like mine and they believed it is a factory defect. The areas affected are on roof only so I don't think anything dropped from under a bridge or parking garage since the issue is confined to the roof only. My car has nothing in its history to indicate a former repair etc. Do any other members have any issues like what I am experiencing.
Old 04-08-17, 07:02 PM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes. I have an '08 Blizzard Pearl and the paint peeled on the roof. I've read other reports of the same with this color. I had the roof repainted.
Old 04-09-17, 05:07 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

My insurance company paid for it cost was $ 1640.00

Originally Posted by EddieK05
Yes. I have an '08 Blizzard Pearl and the paint peeled on the roof. I've read other reports of the same with this color. I had the roof repainted.
Old 04-10-17, 04:08 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

My 2004 Blizzard Pearl had been peeling on the bumper.

I definitely think it' something with that particular color.

Lexus though isn't going to step up and fix it.

If you can see metal, I would definitely get that resolved sooner rather than later.
Old 04-11-17, 01:19 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
What sections were repainted? $1640 doesn't seem to go far now a days...
Old 04-11-17, 03:07 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

The roof was repainted complete masked off the sun roof. Removed roof rails and slats .
Old 04-17-17, 03:22 PM
jejacobsen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did ins pay? based on what?
Old 04-18-17, 07:26 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jejacobsen
how did ins pay? based on what?
The fact that the peeling started as round circles the consensus was that perhaps something dripped on it under a bridge or parking lot. I was mystified my self. There really is no major evidence that there is a technical issue with the paint that Lexus is aware of.
Old 04-19-17, 03:15 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, I thought my 2007 was the only one peeling but I guessed not. I made a complaint to Lexus since I know that it was a defect from the factory. I can understand if it was repainted but the paint is original. Lexus reviewed and they basically said screw you. I'm pretty sure they know about but don't want to do anything about it.

Last edited by suprawhite; 04-19-17 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 03:49 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Where did yours start to peel ?

Originally Posted by suprawhite
Wow, I thought my 2007 was the only one peeling but I guessed not. I made a complaint to Lexus since I know that it was a defect from the factory. I can understand if it was repainted but the paint is original. Lexus reviewed and they basically said screw you. I'm pretty sure they know about but don't want to do anything about it.
Old 04-19-17, 04:10 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where did yours start to peel ?
Mine started out on the roof like a size of a penny then slowly spread out bigger and bigger. I also noticed at the same time the paint around the doors molding paint were not sticking to the body, especially at night time when it get colder. Now it's pretty much full blown all around. It's kinda sad since I know other Lexus and Toyota have the same color without any problem and I feel that it's a defect from the factory with their process. The only thing that's peeling is the paint and the primer is okay. You can see that the primer and the paint does not stick so something is not done correctly at the time. I'm pretty sure it's not the Blizzard Pearl as other models with the same color doesn't have this problem. I'm a loyal Toyota and Lexus customer and I've been working for Toyota dealership for 18 years on top of that. Lexus look at their data base to see how many Lexus I've own and currently own and they still don't give a ***** and say screw you. Sad... really sad... but what can I do?
Old 05-08-17, 06:25 PM
MissPiggy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add me to the list

Just climbed onto the side steps the other day to look at something on the sunroof and then I saw it...4 or 5 areas where the paint had recently come off (Blizzard Pearl on a 2005). Varying in size from about a dime up to a .50 cent piece. Totally bare metal and it is sort of flaking off, but no rust spots yet. I tried adding a little touch up paint from the small container you can get at the dealer, but that isn't really going to work.

Went by a Toyota dealer today (no Lexus dealer in town). They said they have seen it a few times but we'd need to go directly to Lexus. Based on other responses here, sounds like a waste of time. Went to a reputable body shop and was quoted $1,000 to respray the roof. This damn car is so comfortable, but I swear it's turning into like having a boat! Just ponied up $850 for a new timing belt and thought I'd get a break. Frustrated. Anyone come up with any viable solutions other than shelling out the big bucks?
Old 05-09-17, 07:53 PM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MissPiggy
Went by a Toyota dealer today (no Lexus dealer in town). They said they have seen it a few times but we'd need to go directly to Lexus. Based on other responses here, sounds like a waste of time. Went to a reputable body shop and was quoted $1,000 to respray the roof. This damn car is so comfortable, but I swear it's turning into like having a boat! Just ponied up $850 for a new timing belt and thought I'd get a break. Frustrated. Anyone come up with any viable solutions other than shelling out the big bucks?
There's really no other viable solutions that are cheaper unless you can do it yourself. I didn't notice it either until i was walking into my garage and glanced at the roof and thought something was maybe dirty on top, was very surprised and disappointed to see a good chunk of the paint in front of the sunroof was peeling. I was quoted $1000 also, negotiated them down to $900. They said blizzard pearl was more expensive to repaint due to it being a two stage paint.
Old 05-09-17, 08:23 PM
jbtvt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieK05
There's really no other viable solutions that are cheaper unless you can do it yourself. I didn't notice it either until i was walking into my garage and glanced at the roof and thought something was maybe dirty on top, was very surprised and disappointed to see a good chunk of the paint in front of the sunroof was peeling. I was quoted $1000 also, negotiated them down to $900. They said blizzard pearl was more expensive to repaint due to it being a two stage paint.
That's a line, all real auto paint is 2 stage. For a grand you can buy a sweet 220volt IR compressor from tractor supply co, a cheap hvlp gun and enough paint to do a roof, maybe even the whole car yourself.
Old 05-09-17, 09:01 PM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jbtvt
That's a line, all real auto paint is 2 stage. For a grand you can buy a sweet 220volt IR compressor from tractor supply co, a cheap hvlp gun and enough paint to do a roof, maybe even the whole car yourself.
I'd much rather pay a grand then have me paint the roof of my car.

Quick Reply: 2004 Blizzard Pearl paint peeling