GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Forgive my ignorance, can someone please point me to a write up on lube points?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 07:32 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Forgive my ignorance, can someone please point me to a write up on lube points?

I own a 2003 GX470, and thank you everyone for all the knowledge and information available in this awesome club. Learning from reading on here our GX models call for drive shaft and u-joint lubrication. I am sorry for my ignorance, this is probably a post some people will laugh at, there are probably a few how to write ups already. I did several searches, AGAIN, forgive me, where are these zerk fittings? I think there are 6? on the drive shaft, and some on the u-joints???? Are there any more for anything else? AGAIN forgive my lack of knowledge, I am going to buy a grease gun with a hose and some angled fittings (learned that on here) still trying to learn what kind of grease, but due to my ignorance, I will be crawling under my GX with a light, looking at the drive shaft, and be searching for these. Thank you, I am a little embarrassed to admit my lack of knowledge/mechanical skills.
Old 12-27-16, 09:10 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

scroll down you will see the zerks, and numbers of fitting

http://www.toyota120.com/html/driveline_service.html

Here is the video, go to where he starts servicing drive line (mid way)

Last edited by gxman1; 12-27-16 at 09:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DiabloX22 (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 10:54 AM
Listers
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, here is a diagram of the fittings for each of the two shafts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post5279280
DiabloX22 (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 12:11 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Thank you very much gxman1, I really appreciate it!
Old 12-27-16, 12:15 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Thank you very much listers, I really appreciate it!

Last edited by DiabloX22; 12-27-16 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-27-16, 12:24 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it! I learn so much off here! Members are awesome! I want to keep this GX forever! I bought it and got rid of the vehicle I was going to originally keep, a Toyota with 330,000 miles on it! NO typo, 330,000 miles! It didnt use oil, ran fantastic! These Lexus vehicles are truly amazing! The quality and ride is awesome! Got it for a good price, went on the Lexus site nder the vehicle history, the maintenance that was done was right on schedule, no corners cut. Its in good shape, The color, I am still getting used to, not to offend anyone, its Sand Dollar Pearl. Love it in the sun! But when the pearl and metallic cant be seen, like I said, its still growing on me! LOL!
Old 12-27-16, 12:44 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

fyi, have a friend with a 04 land cruiser...same engine and drive train...500,000 miles...the only thing that has gone wrong that she would consider unexpected was a fuel pump....this is a single mom taking care of two kids and this truck for 13 years....truck has probably been easier to raise than the kids
DiabloX22 (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 01:31 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

WOW!!! NOW THAT is A LOT of MILES! A fuel pump is pretty expensive. But its a motor and that is considered a wearable item in my book. My opinion is definitely get another OEM whole assembly. Its more money but look at how long it lasted. I think I read somewhere to never let the tank get to 1/8 or 1/4 full? Tank mounted pumps are actually cooled by the fuel. Also I use Seafoam twice a year in the tank. I have seen it work wonders! It gets water and cleans the system some people may say I am wrong or suggest a better product, but I swear by the stuff. I actually have their intake cleaner but I havent done it yet. There is a guy on youtube, Chrisfix, he is a pretty smart guy, did a did some tests on different cleaners using a scope Seafoam came out first.
Old 12-27-16, 06:17 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know I may catch some heat, most of the time my gas is from costco cheapest octane. They claim it has cleaner/detergent high ratings. I believe it now. I have run on 2 lexus no high octane and had no issues, my other lexus sedan refuse to die, and I drove GX 100k in 3 years no ping.
Old 12-27-16, 06:38 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Thats your call. People have many opinions about that gxman1. I never put the cheap stuff in mine, I have in other vehicles. My opinion is the cheap stuff burns faster due to lack of power during combustion, can clog up the cat converter, foul the plugs, whats the difference at fill up a buck a gallon. It may be in my head but I feel a difference when you need power accelerating. Have you tried premium at all?
Old 12-27-16, 07:07 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Lower octane doesn't mean "cheap" gas, the same amount of detergent is in Costcos two grades of gas..i.e. top Tier status. It's possible that using regular gas in an engine that "recommend" but does not require premium will slightly effect gas mileage which may be the reason for the recommendation. Manufacturers have to meet certain cafe requirements. The computer will compensate for any choice of octane. The ping may only show up under hard pulling like when pulling a trailer. So let the great octane debate begin, lol. By the way, here in NJ some stations may have close to a 50 cent price difference, you do the math. Costco's difference is closer to 20 cents.
Old 12-27-16, 07:31 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

I agree with all you said ALAN553. So what do you fill up with? My OPINION is higher octane burns more efficiently. Just like I try to look at the ethanol content, most are 10%. If there is a difference "under load" like hauling and accelerating, then something isnt right. The lower gas mileage effect that we both mentioned means its not burning the fuel efficiently and can cause build up in the combustion system. I would rather pay at the pump than have to pay for a cat. converter, plugs before they are due, and other internal parts that can be harmed.
Old 12-28-16, 09:44 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gxman1
I know I may catch some heat, most of the time my gas is from costco cheapest octane. They claim it has cleaner/detergent high ratings. I believe it now. I have run on 2 lexus no high octane and had no issues, my other lexus sedan refuse to die, and I drove GX 100k in 3 years no ping.

COSTCO gas is rated a "Top Tier" gasoline, its very good gas!!
Old 12-28-16, 12:06 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
I agree with all you said ALAN553. So what do you fill up with? My OPINION is higher octane burns more efficiently. Just like I try to look at the ethanol content, most are 10%. If there is a difference "under load" like hauling and accelerating, then something isnt right. The lower gas mileage effect that we both mentioned means its not burning the fuel efficiently and can cause build up in the combustion system. I would rather pay at the pump than have to pay for a cat. converter, plugs before they are due, and other internal parts that can be harmed.
i think you are more likely to have incomplete combustion when you run a higher octane than needed, compression and heat are not high enough to completely burn the that higher octane gas. higher octance is needed in higher compression engine, ie more heat....i am sure there are some chemists or engineers here that can explain it better. so using lower octane in the truck will not affect the engine or it cleanliness or its longevity, ya just might be missing 2-4 HP
Old 12-28-16, 03:21 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALAN553
i think you are more likely to have incomplete combustion when you run a higher octane than needed, compression and heat are not high enough to completely burn the that higher octane gas. higher octance is needed in higher compression engine, ie more heat....i am sure there are some chemists or engineers here that can explain it better. so using lower octane in the truck will not affect the engine or it cleanliness or its longevity, ya just might be missing 2-4 HP

I would sure like to hear that!!!! Loss of power is from not a powerful enough combustion. Spark knock is from a late combustion that pushes the piston down at a incorrect time. Look under "Fuel Selection" in your owners manual. On the back of my manual its printed on the inside of the cardboard backing "Gas Station Information" Low octane is OK BUT High Octane IS Recommended. We have V-8 engines POWERFUL ones! IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII dont think your statement is correct.

Quick Reply: Forgive my ignorance, can someone please point me to a write up on lube points?