GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

LED headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 11:36 AM
degmla
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice pictures but I couldn't stop noticing that it's dark and still 92 degrees!
Yep. Actually, truck was already warm from driving and had been setting in the driveway. So, the exterior gauge was still reading artificially high from engine bay. If I was driving, it would've been more realistic. Like 91.

It was probably mid-80s. I'm pretty close to the coast, so it won't dip below 80 for another month...
Old 08-18-16, 10:08 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've run these since last summer. They are passively cooled, no fans.

If you stand 5 feet away you can see a "split" in the center of the low beam because the LEDs are side firing, otherwise they work great. I went with the "warm white" aka Phillips Luxeon so they are closer to white (the white are Cree and more blue).

Low beams
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...349414282.html

High beams
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...349471607.html
Old 08-19-16, 06:49 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got done with the Installation.
It took forever almost 3 hours because the plug wouldn't go in far enough where the terminals meet because of the fat plug OPT7 made. I had already given up but my wife helped me to get it done. My thumbs hurt like.......
I thought it was easy......
But after everything got done I am way happier than the results... Check out the pictures I just took.
Attached Thumbnails LED headlight bulbs-file_000.jpeg   LED headlight bulbs-file_001.jpeg   LED headlight bulbs-file_002.jpeg   LED headlight bulbs-file_003.jpeg   LED headlight bulbs-file_004.jpeg  

LED headlight bulbs-file_005.jpeg   LED headlight bulbs-file_006.jpeg  

Last edited by sheikhmax; 08-19-16 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-20-16, 07:52 AM
degmla
Driver

Just got done with the Installation.
It took forever almost 3 hours because the plug wouldn't go in far enough where the terminals meet because of the fat plug OPT7 made. I had already given up but my wife helped me to get it done. My thumbs hurt like.......
I thought it was easy......
But after everything got done I am way happier than the results... Check out the pictures I just took.
Wha?!??! I'm glad you figured it out, but I can't help but chuckle at your misfortune? (rude, I know, sorry!) I tinker with 5 different Lexus, and have done dozens and dozens of mods over the years. These headlights were indeed one of the easiest installations I have ever done. Assemble everything off the vehicle, and then just make one connection under the hood and screw the bulb in. Which of the 3 connections gave you so many problems?

Also, did you use the reverse polarity pigtail included? I had to on mine. As I write this, I wonder if you "forced" the plug in backwards, which would enable the correct polarity, but also means you had the plug turned 180 degrees, such that the 'fat tab' was not lining up with the spring clip side of the adjoining female plug. Yes, if you did that, you worked (unnecessarily) hard!! The included pigtail (NOT the ballast one) reverses the polarity for you and enables easy installation.

But, if you had everything correct, then I am sorry it was such a chore.

Old 08-20-16, 06:02 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

I didn't even bother to use the other 2 cables in the separate box.
I tried to force the plug in both sides but it wouldn't slide in and the pins weren't connecting even when they did it would just turn off as it wasn't all the way in.

Finally I forced it in and tested it by knocking on it and moving it so it doesn't go off and been working fine.

I hope not using the third cable would be ok .... Let me know if it's not? and I will add the third cable.

BTW....
I am not handy at all so no experience... But learning as I go because of awesome people on this forum.
Old 08-21-16, 11:44 AM
degmla
Driver

Oh no! I was hoping I was wrong. I can see now why you struggled with it so long! With lots of cursing, I'm sure.

I don't think you need the other plug, but it would have been much easier (too late now?) and it may actually stay connected long-term since all the clips will be clipped.
Old 08-22-16, 07:38 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

So far connections are holding up good no issues with 2 days of driving. Hopefully there will be no issues in the future as well.

@degmla

Sincere thanks to you bud for mentioning OPT7 Lights. I am loving this MOD on my GX.

@OP
Sorry for Hijacking your thread. But you might want to go this route and upgrade. (Suggestion)
Old 09-02-16, 05:53 PM
chrtorres
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
So far connections are holding up good no issues with 2 days of driving. Hopefully there will be no issues in the future as well.

@degmla

Sincere thanks to you bud for mentioning OPT7 Lights. I am loving this MOD on my GX.

@OP
Sorry for Hijacking your thread. But you might want to go this route and upgrade. (Suggestion)
Hey Sheikhmak - how goes it with the lights. I too was thinking of the Xenondepot route, but then saw your post. You're up in the east coast like me. It gets dark up here and long drives need dependable lighting.
Old 09-03-16, 07:02 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

I am not HID/xenon expert but I am loving these LEDs. They make a huge difference over standard Halogens (it's a lot of light). Last week we went to Boston from CT and travelled in the night, that's when I got to test them for the first time in the night. All I can say is... It's a lot of super bright white light and lights up the road
Even road signs from far start getting noticeable.
Old 09-05-16, 04:51 PM
chrtorres
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not HID/xenon expert but I am loving these LEDs. They make a huge difference over standard Halogens (it's a lot of light). Last week we went to Boston from CT and travelled in the night, that's when I got to test them for the first time in the night. All I can say is... It's a lot of super bright white light and lights up the road
Even road signs from far start getting noticeable.
Great .. I'll add these to the list.
Old 01-09-17, 08:32 AM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone here happen to have a good link to the correct kit? Link on previous page is not working. I copied and pasted in address bar but other items came up with options I wasn't familiar with. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 01-09-17, 10:15 AM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Xenon Depot HID's for my fogs (9006) in my 2006 Lexus GS300 and headlights (H11) in my 2004 Lexus GX470, and they all work like a charm regardless of weather. These HID's were as plug and play as they come (on the GS I had to flip the polarity). I tried LED's as my DRL/High Beam lights from Xenon Depot with the canbus adapter and the DRL lights were white and nice but the high beams were non-existent so I had to go back to a halogen bulb to give me my high beams back (and also the yellow DRL light).
Old 01-09-17, 11:00 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by drowssap
Does anyone here happen to have a good link to the correct kit? Link on previous page is not working. I copied and pasted in address bar but other items came up with options I wasn't familiar with. Any help would be appreciated!

If you are looking to buy LEDs we talked about on this thread the link is below:

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Headligh.../dp/B00VNBDWPK
Old 01-09-17, 12:18 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking to buy LEDs we talked about on this thread the link is below:

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Headligh.../dp/B00VNBDWPK
Yes thank you!! Do you know which kit will fit the high beams and fog lights?

Never mind...I managed to finally sit at the computer and figure it out! Problem is that there are way too many pros and cons to LED vs HID and I just can't figure out which to buy.

Last edited by drowssap; 01-10-17 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 02:03 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Good Luck in your Quest to find Perfect Lightning..

Quick Reply: LED headlight bulbs