GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My first GX

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 12:21 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
And I always thought 09 was the last year for the 470....
Hmmm.... That's what I thought too. I'm pretty sure it became the 150 in 2010. AKA the ugly duckling of the GX lineup. LOL

OP That black on black M5 got me all
Old 08-18-15, 12:41 PM
GXArch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
OP That black on black M5 got me all
Thanks, I miss it so much already

I said I wasn't going to post a video of the exhaust, but I keep watching all my videos over and over. Here you go...

Old 08-19-15, 12:32 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The GX is a great car, however, it can be expensive to repair... Higher than other Lexus models (LX is the same). My aunt recently traded her 2008 GX470 with 210,000 miles for a GX460 due to a repair bill that was estimated at $6,000+ for 3 suspension components. It's common for these suspensions to have issues as the car ages, so watch out for that.
Old 08-19-15, 12:50 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
The GX is a great car, however, it can be expensive to repair... Higher than other Lexus models (LX is the same). My aunt recently traded her 2008 GX470 with 210,000 miles for a GX460 due to a repair bill that was estimated at $6,000+ for 3 suspension components. It's common for these suspensions to have issues as the car ages, so watch out for that.
Way to scare the new owner like the OP and myself..
That's heck of a lot of miles for a 2008. What does your aunt do..
I wonder which suspension component is it sounds way too high, the thing really stupid expensive about this car is the OEM rear shocks cost $500 each.
If you were to replace all 4 shocks, 2 air bags, 2 sensors is about $2500 at most in parts but it doesn't look like it needs $3K of labor to install. The rear shocks look like you can replace them in 30 minutes.
Old 08-19-15, 01:27 PM
chreesto
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
This is good to know. My plan is, when the current system fails, to switch to a traditional suspension and lift the vehicle about 2". I'll probably invest in a pretty nice setup. My main concern is with the engine and drivetrain components. So long as those keep going with regular maintenance, I'm a happy camper.
Old 08-19-15, 02:43 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
Way to scare the new owner like the OP and myself..
That's heck of a lot of miles for a 2008. What does your aunt do..
I wonder which suspension component is it sounds way too high, the thing really stupid expensive about this car is the OEM rear shocks cost $500 each.
If you were to replace all 4 shocks, 2 air bags, 2 sensors is about $2500 at most in parts but it doesn't look like it needs $3K of labor to install. The rear shocks look like you can replace them in 30 minutes.
Didn't mean to scare you, but any car with air suspension will have issues. It's not a matter of IF it will fail, it's WHEN it will fail. My aunt travels up and down the west coast for her job and drives most trips. The big expense for hers was something with the computer that controls the suspension. She had lights flashing all over her dash. The sensors, which seems to be a common problem, were changed but that didn't fix the issue. It was deeper than that and that's where the cost came in. In the end, she found getting the new GX460 a better option. She did get an opinion from Lexus and another independent Lexus guy and both came in around the $6k mark.
Old 08-19-15, 03:05 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the good news is you can convert to the coil setup for much less when the time comes. you just have to know not to get it repaired at the dealer and get the conversion kit and take it to any shop, its very straight forward to do.
Old 08-19-15, 03:51 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You wouldn't have to pay that much for repairs if you do it yourself.

And this is exactly why I don't get in to brand new cars. I hate payments. This way, I get to enjoy wrenching too.
Old 08-20-15, 06:39 AM
GXArch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
You wouldn't have to pay that much for repairs if you do it yourself.

And this is exactly why I don't get in to brand new cars. I hate payments. This way, I get to enjoy wrenching too.
Perfectly sums up my feelings as well.

I love older cars because I like to pay cash and i thoroughly enjoy working on them myself.

It is also about perspective. I don't think there is any universe in which this GX470 would ever be considered 'expensive' to maintain if you are coming from an E39 M5 haha.
Old 08-28-15, 09:49 AM
TopGear300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not logged in for a while and boy do I miss it. I need to jump back in and start posting on these forums.

I want to note that on my 04 GX with 134K miles, I have had to repair virtually nothing. I have been driving this since 09 and bought with 60K miles.

I had one O2 Sensor go, which was just under $100 to repair myself and as easy as unscrewing a bolt with a plug attached to it.

I also ran over a nail, and for a quick fix I had a dealer throw Fix-a-Flat in it. This corrupted my TPMS sensor and that was another $130 or so. That was my fault, not hers. (Sorry baby)

IMO, so far the GX has been stupid reliable.
Old 01-16-18, 07:54 AM
GXArch
Driver School Candidate

Haven't updated this thread in awhile, but the GX has been rock solid.

Finally found a replacement for the peeling and flaking stock wheels. Picked up a set of 4th gen 4runner Limited wheels.

Dirty and snow laden, but here is a pick. Really happy with how they look.

Old 01-16-18, 12:54 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GXArch
Just ordered the foam repair kit for the ML 6x9 speakers up front. Both are torn.

I can't tell if the sub in the back is torn or not. It doesn't sound the best.

Also, I am trying to decide between the VAIS MML and the GROM USB3.

I had the GROM unit in my M5 and it worked great. But it seems most people on here use the VAIS unit.

Need to do some more research on the differences.
I just gutted my 05 non navy within a week of owning it.... all speakers amps and headunit works great.. pm me for any offers if you need something stock.
on a different note... Congrats on the pickup... I got the same color but with gray interior. Dibs on the rear hitch cover if you part with it. Mine was missing when purchased.
Old 01-17-18, 04:30 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GXArch
Haven't updated this thread in awhile, but the GX has been rock solid.

Finally found a replacement for the peeling and flaking stock wheels. Picked up a set of 4th gen 4runner Limited wheels.

Dirty and snow laden, but here is a pick. Really happy with how they look.

Those rims look really nice!! Mine came with a mint set of original rims. Not sure how they haven't corroded like all the others I've seen. I put on my set of Volks off my FJ and they look really good and stick out a bit more than stock. I'm going to put beefy winter tires on the stock rims and use the Volks in the summers.
Old 01-20-18, 04:49 PM
GXArch
Driver School Candidate

Finally got a chance to wash up the GX to see what the new wheels look like all cleaned up. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out. They look great with the Ash Blue color.

Old 01-20-18, 05:28 PM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Those rims look really good. What’s the size and offset of those? Are they any different than the original rims? Might look for a set for winter rims.

Quick Reply: My first GX