GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Aviator vs. GX470 ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-03, 10:48 PM
bjman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aviator vs. GX470 ??

I know that this must seem like a biased forum to ask this question in, but I have read several objective opinions here. I have narrowed down my choices to these two vehicles and the choices seem close--too close to call. Any suggestions on what may tip the scale in favor of the lexus??

Aviator (premium package) Advantages over GX470:
1. Third row seats fold down (almost flat) instead of up along the sides wasting cargo space.
2. Rear hatch opens up instead of sideways.
3. Xenon lights standard
4. Rear parking assitance
5. Much more powerful engine and extremely smooth transmission.
6. Six-way power passenger seat--up + down.
7. Routine maintenance included in the price--a la Mercedes.
8. Front seats are heated AND cooled.
9. 3-zone climate control as opposed to 2-zone.

Disadvantages of Aviator:
1. No power seat-recliner in the front seats.
2. No power stearing-wheel adjustment.
3. Feels more 'crowded' in the front.
4. No 'Lexus Link' service--believe it or not I use the concierge features of the Mercedes Tele-Aid A LOT--extremely helpful.
5. No 'true' offroading capability, but I really don't need this.
6. Quality - Probably my biggest concern of the Lincoln. I never had either a Lexus or a Lincoln before--both my previous cars have been Mercedes--except for my very first car--a Toyota Corolla.

While I do love the Mercedes 'driving feel', I have gotten sick and tired of having to almost constantly take my car to the dealership to repair mostly minor annoyances. Everything I have read tells me that hopefully I won't have that problem with the Lexus GX.

So, basically if the Lexus GX had xenon lights, rear parktronic, and a stronger engine with a top-opening rear hatch, it would be the PERFECT SUV.

Still, I have to choose from what's available now...any suggestions?

Thanks,
BJ

Last edited by bjman; 02-25-03 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-25-03, 05:13 AM
raybeck
Rookie

Talking Lexus wins for me

I, too, compared with the aviator and the new Volvo...so GLAD I picked the Lexus. There is no comparison, sure you might get a few more gadgets, but there are a lot of gadgets you failed to mention on the GX that the Aviator does not offer. I personally don't like the boxy style of the aviator. I have had lincolns and had good service from our dealer and very little problems with the cars, but really doubt I would ever by anything other that a Lexus, now. I had never owned one either and it is awesome. My husband even tried to sway me toward the Aviator and guess who has been driving my GX the most...HIM! He is really sold on it now, himself. Anyway, it just boils down to personal preference, but I can't see having that much money tied up in a Lincoln when you could be driving a Lexus. I'm sure they are more willing to deal on the Aviator, but I still chose the GX! Another thing...I thought the way the rear door opens and closes was going to be a big deal, too, but I have actually grown to like it. Much easier to open and close, but I do think they should have made the rear glass operable. And for the engine, that is not an issue either, I personally feel it has plenty of power, but I guess some folks just like as much as they can get. Believe me, it is plenty peppy. Hope this helps some.

Last edited by raybeck; 02-25-03 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-25-03, 08:51 AM
bjman
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus vs. Aviator vs. Volvo

You said that you chose the Lexus over both the Aviator and the Volvo. I'm bjman's wife and I am rooting for the Volvo. I'd love to know why you rejected the Volvo. Except for a slightly less powerful (but more fuel efficient engine), it seems to be better designed and offer more luxury interior options than any other mid sized luxury SUV with a third row seat (this is a requirement for us).
Old 02-25-03, 02:17 PM
raybeck
Rookie

Default Volvo

I was totally sold on getting the Volvo, I was so well read on it I could have sold them. We finally got to actually see one in person and I was never so disappointed in my life. The first thing you see walking up to the car is shiny black plastic between the windows on the outside (very cheap looking, to me). I disagree about the interior being more luxurious...there is no comparison between the Volvo interior and the Lexus interior (in my opinion) hated the satin chrome they stuck in it and the fake wood... I test drove the turbo and power was just okay, but I didn't like the ride or the feel. I want to feel like I am in an SUV, not a car and the Volvo sat so low to the ground, like a car. I didn't think the ride in any way compared to the GX. My husband had gone to see the GX and the Volvo before taking me and told me he didn't even want me to look at the GX because he new I'd pick it (and it is more expensive if you get it completely loaded). He knows me too well. I would have chosen the smaller RX Lexus, or the Aviator over the Volvo if I had, had to make a decision because of money. I do think the Volvo is well made and maybe if you have children that would be a better choice for you, but none of the 3rd row SUV's want you to put car seats in the 3rd row seats anyway. I guess it just boiled down to that I had built the Volvo up in my mind and then was so disappointed in how it looked and handled. I'm sure a lot of folks will get it and love it. I know it is a hard decision to make, I went through it, too and with the same 3 you are looking at. So far, I am not disappointed with picking the GX over the other two. Good luck to you!
Old 02-25-03, 05:12 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the gx... granted its not as powerful as the aviator.. but you can remove the 3rd row seats if your not going to use them.. also i dont like the ford engines.. imo they are way too big..
Old 02-25-03, 08:34 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bjman

We could go on and on about the differences between the two vehicles. What it really comes down to is what suits your needs and what is more aesthetically pleasing to you.

My $0.02 is that you should heavily wiegh service (sales and service departments) in your decision. I am not sure about Lincoln as I have never owned one. Lexus differentiates themselves in service. I know it seems cliche, but I believe it is true. My experience from day 1 in 1998 when I entered the Lexus showroom to purchase the first of eventually four was great. It only gets better as time goes on.

Originally posted by bjman

So, basically if the Lexus GX had xenon lights, rear parktronic, and a stronger engine with a top-opening rear hatch, it would be the PERFECT SUV.
BJ
1. There are aftermarket Xenons avaiable. If you are interested I could point you in the direction.
2. Parktronic and top opening - they really haven't bothered me. Maybe because of the parking situations on Guam. Not a lot of parallel parking here
3. Stronger engine. Believe me, or test drive one yourslef, the GX has more than adequate power. Remember it isn't a GS, IS or SC.

HTH

MAC
Old 02-26-03, 06:04 AM
raybeck
Rookie

Default Mac

Noticed you posted on this page, so wanted to ask you if the bulbs you replaced for the low beam on the GX are any brighter at night? I feel like the high beam are fine, but when you have to go back to low beam it is like someone almost turned the lights off. I sure would like to know what you think, you seem to be an expert in this area and I am very interested in what you have to say and am seriously considering replacing some bulbs like you have done. I need to go back and read your threads on that subject to figure out the correct bulbs and where they are available to purchase. Thanks again for any information, you have been most informative. BP
Old 02-26-03, 08:43 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Default powerful engine

I know that the aviator is rated much higher but my GX really moves. It's very quick off the line and has no problems in traffic. Just my .02. The rear seat on the avaiator is a nice thing though. The lexus seats are a bit of a pain....
Old 02-26-03, 11:16 AM
modelaford
Driver

Unhappy

I also looked at the Volvo be fore the GX and it seems since Ford got involved in the company it just looked like a chunk of plastic, especially the interior. IMHO
Old 02-26-03, 12:05 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Go with the Lexus, the powertrain/drivetrain is tried and true

The Aviator on the other hand is another creation from Ford to turn the plain jane Explorer into something more I don't know how much you read about the Aviator but Im guessing you missed the engine problems it had that forced Ford to stop production and push back the release date, the engine where failing at 5000-30000 miles # 7 & 8 cylinders where shutting off, the 2003 Cobra shared the 4.6L V8 and had the same problem.

It also suffered from an exhaust problem, all the tight spaces with smaller pipes was not in their favor, that also forced them to stop production.

I test drove the Aviator and was not impressed and the looks completly turned me off, the Explorer is still their in looks and if anyone knows what SUV go for would know an Eddie Bauer or Limited V8 Explorer goes for about 40k and the Aviator is around 45K so whats the big deal.

If your gonna buy this vehicle I would not put money into Ford as you will lose it on the resale value, your gonna lose money either way but why throw it away.

I even stop light raced it and saw no signs of him having a more powerful engine than mine, I would pass cause I have read to many reports where Ford is cutting back cost which means they are cutting back quality, I see your from Texas so I guess Ford in in your blood but once your get passed it your will forget about it.

Are the 2 trucks your looking at in the same price or does the Aviator have more for 45 and the GX not compare for the price Ford offers.

Oh Yeah Lexus: cool:

What Lincoln/Ford website did you post this topic on.
Old 02-26-03, 03:27 PM
bjman
Driver School Candidate

Default Don't know of other Ford sites...

I don't know of any specialized Aviator or Ford sites. I just posted the same question to the Aviator forum at Edmunds town hall. BTW, I also posted the same question to the edmunds GX470 forums. Answers have been very helpful.

BJ

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...index=.ef07083
Old 02-26-03, 06:20 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Aviator

To find out more on the Aviator engine issues you can go to www.f150online.com They have alot of good information on other trucks/suv's in the Ford lineup. This was where I first heard about the Aviator problems.
Old 02-26-03, 06:24 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

The thing I found between the Aviator and the GX was the front seat head room. I was touching in the Aviator with sunroof and have plenty of room in the GX. With that fact, I never drove the Aviator off the lot. I did drive the Navigator and was very disappointed.
Old 02-28-03, 09:35 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed the GX to have plenty of horse power off the line and on the highway. But the torque is above any beyond what one would need.

I don't believe the Aviator has as much torque.
Old 02-28-03, 09:38 PM
SPUDMTN
Rookie

Thumbs down Volvo?

Hello-

Noticed when the Volvo XC90 was brought up, no-one mentioned reliability! :eek: My family's experience with Volvo has not been pleasant. We had a 1999 fire-engine red V70 AWD (hot station wagon, might I add ) that was a nightmare. While none of the problems were major, it was just constant. Once one thing was fixed, another problem arose. It just added up to too much...traded the Swede in Sept. of 2000. It's japanese from now on!

IMHO I don't know if it would be a good idea to go for the Volvo, especially on its first year of production. Don't know if Volvo has cleaned up their act or not...

SPUDMTN

Quick Reply: Aviator vs. GX470 ??