GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New 2009 GX470 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 04:40 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

keeps them off when in off position
Old 03-30-14, 05:12 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
keeps them off when in off position
Thanks for the information.

One other question. In the "auto" position, do they stay on during daylight with the headlights off, or do they only come on when the headlights come on?
Old 03-30-14, 05:52 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

they stay off
Old 03-31-14, 05:50 AM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man keep me updated on any cool finds on it. I just cut off DRL's and programmed a key
2 Questions:

1) How does one use Techstream to program a key?

2) Can one program new electronic master keys, if one has an electronic master key?
Old 03-31-14, 05:52 AM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

Also, what is the fascination with turning off the Daylight Running Lights? They are on for safety reasons, making your vehicle a little more noticeable for other drivers. One also tends to get a small auto insurance discount for having Daylight Running Lights. Could someone please enlighten me as to the advantages to turning DRL off?
Old 03-31-14, 06:19 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

One reason is to increase the visibility of motorcycles. Before DRLs, motorcycles were pretty much the only vehicles that ran with headlights on all the time. Now, they don't stand out so much.

If the insurance industry really wants to increase safety, they can give a discount for vehicles with amber turn signals. They have been proven to reduce the reaction time of other drivers by as much as a half-second.

Chip H.
Old 03-31-14, 06:28 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

They burn out quickly and they are also the turn signal lights. Pain in the butt to change the bulbs. As far as the key programming go, this link is pretty much spot on. The program will tell you how many keys you have left to program.. 5 is the limit. You can delete keys if necessary, but you have to reprogram all of them except your original master that will be in the ignition.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4...echstream.html
Old 03-31-14, 06:37 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
They burn out quickly and they are also the turn signal lights. Pain in the butt to change the bulbs. As far as the key programming go, this link is pretty much spot on. The program will tell you how many keys you have left to program.. 5 is the limit. You can delete keys if necessary, but you have to reprogram all of them except your original master that will be in the ignition.
Took me all of 2 min to change the driver side turn signal bulb a few weeks ago, pop off the plastic shroud over the rad, and reach in there. I don't buy the PITA bit on this one.

DRL's are a great safety feature, I prefer they use a bulb other than the high beam on low current though, that just burns out my high beam bulbs much faster.
Old 03-31-14, 07:30 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

i understand and to each his own, but I really do not care about them being on. I have turned them off in all 3 of my cars
Old 03-31-14, 08:36 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Took me all of 2 min to change the driver side turn signal bulb a few weeks ago, pop off the plastic shroud over the rad, and reach in there. I don't buy the PITA bit on this one.

DRL's are a great safety feature, I prefer they use a bulb other than the high beam on low current though, that just burns out my high beam bulbs much faster.
I agree, great safety feature...i just swaped out the parking lights for LED so i can used them instead of headlights for visibility. super bright on rain/overcast days.

changing DRL/turn signals, even easier...you can reach up and change the bulbs from under the bumper without taking off the plastic coverings. either way, i have had mine for 11 years and 145,000 miles, bulbs just changed for the second time recently. switch to LED if you anyone wants them to last longer.
Old 04-02-14, 06:38 AM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...#ixzz2xjfvzL00
So, I read the key programming thread you posted. Very simple. Even I understand.

Two followup questions: Do I have order the new master key from Lexus at $265 per key, or are there alternative sources (at hopefully lower cost). If I get a key at an alternative source, how would I get it cut?
Old 04-02-14, 06:50 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ment-keys.html

Read post #4 in the thread I linked. I bought mine from these guys and it came cut from the VIN# I provided. Then used Techstream to program it.
Old 04-02-14, 07:41 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yall keep the plastic covers on? That was one of the first things I did was remove them all. It's easier to work in the engine bay and keep it clean.
Old 04-02-14, 10:39 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

I am leaning towards it because I do like to check fluid levels periodically and I hate messing with those plastic clips
Old 04-04-14, 12:34 PM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-f...ment-keys.html

Read post #4 in the thread I linked. I bought mine from these guys and it came cut from the VIN# I provided. Then used Techstream to program it.
So, I just ordered 2 new electronic master keys for the GX 470. I got them for the price you indicated in the linked thread. Saved me about $200 per key, over going to a Lexus dealer to get new keys plus programming. I will program the new master keys when I receive my (already ordered) mini vic cable. Thank you for the discount coupon code. I love saving major bucks................

Quick Reply: New 2009 GX470 Owner