GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Just the TRUTH about wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 10:56 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just the TRUTH about wheel alignment

Interesting, that after all these years being told that the GX470 needs to have all four wheels aligned. Now, when I pull into the dealership, there is a new fancy dancey machine with all those fancy dancey laser lights telling me on a paper print out what my front wheels are doing for caster and camber. Then the print tells me that the rear wheels are N/A since there are no adjustments.

Lexus corp can not even give me a straight answer. So what is the TRUTH?

The GX has always been dealership serviced (so I have paying all these years to help pay for those fancy buildings and of course those free washes!!!!!)

Now the QUESTION is......
Dealership wants oil change, filter, alignment, tire rotations, balancing for $425.00 (EVERY SIX MONTHS).

Military service center will do the above for $300.00 plus I get a LIFETIME WARRANTY for the
alignment, rotation, balancing as many times I want, even if I want to do that EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK!!!!!!

THE TRUTH IS??????????????????????
Old 08-16-13, 08:56 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LVLEXUS
Interesting, that after all these years being told that the GX470 needs to have all four wheels aligned. Now, when I pull into the dealership, there is a new fancy dancey machine with all those fancy dancey laser lights telling me on a paper print out what my front wheels are doing for caster and camber. Then the print tells me that the rear wheels are N/A since there are no adjustments.

Lexus corp can not even give me a straight answer. So what is the TRUTH?

The GX has always been dealership serviced (so I have paying all these years to help pay for those fancy buildings and of course those free washes!!!!!)

Now the QUESTION is......
Dealership wants oil change, filter, alignment, tire rotations, balancing for $425.00 (EVERY SIX MONTHS).

Military service center will do the above for $300.00 plus I get a LIFETIME WARRANTY for the
alignment, rotation, balancing as many times I want, even if I want to do that EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK!!!!!!

THE TRUTH IS??????????????????????
A few notes:
- you have a solid rear axle. There's a measurement (thrust angle?) that tells you whether or not the truck is tracking straight, or whether it's "dog legging" down the road (rear end off to one side or another). This is adjustable. However, IMO, it isn't worth checking unless your truck has seen some trauma. You can't adjust toe or camber in the rear.
- in the front, you can adjust toe, camber and caster.

I've done my own alignment on autox and track cars and am pretty OCD about my car setups. That said, I wouldn't pay for a 4 wheel alignment for your GX unless:
1) you're seeing uneven tire wear in front (wear on the inside or outside edge
2) You are having trouble with the truck "tracking" well down the road
3) you have replaced suspension components
4) you've hit a curb or pothole *hard*

Beyond that, you're fine. These rigs aren't very sensitive to alignment. I had mine checked by a reputable local shop when I had my shocks replaced, and that's the only time I've had it done.

Scott