GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 12-15-14, 04:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • Warning Lights
    Important information to help you understand your Lexus

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 09:37 AM
ibgolfn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine.

The following warning lights just came on:

GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine.

I read one earlier post about some codes, but don't understand. How do I learn how to figure out what this means?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 10-19-12, 11:09 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You get the error codes by plugging a diagnostic reader into the OBDII port near your left shin (if in the driver's seat). Most national auto parts chains (O'Reilly's, Advance, AutoZone, etc.) will read codes for free... (and some will reset too if you ask nicely). They'll give you P_ _ _ _ code(s) and usually a generic description. You can then search on the codes here for next steps.

Remember, codes point to data received which is outside of acceptable ranges. Sometimes it means a specific part is bad, more often though it's only a starting point as the true problem is upstream. (i.e. - cylinder(s) misfire(ing) could be a spark plug issue, a coil pack issue or a vacuum leak, etc.)

Good luck
Old 10-19-12, 11:12 AM
ibgolfn
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much. That is what I needed.
Old 10-19-12, 11:37 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

O2 sensor most likely culprit.
Old 10-19-12, 03:48 PM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

I think a faulty or loose gas cap can trigger these lights also. In my case, while on vacation in Florida, palm rats chewed the wires to the oxygen sensor.
Old 11-06-12, 07:52 PM
NJLexusGS
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like a speed sensor/ABS sensor went bad.
Old 11-06-12, 08:02 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLexusGS
Sounds like a speed sensor/ABS sensor went bad.

Why do you say that? You get the same lights with a bad gas cap as well as other things related to the fuel system.

OP you need to get the OBDII code(s) to know for sure whats wrong.
Old 04-13-13, 08:33 PM
Troy L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Why do you say that? You get the same lights with a bad gas cap as well as other things related to the fuel system.

OP you need to get the OBDII code(s) to know for sure whats wrong.
I recently had the same "Check Engine" light issue with my '06 GX470, including the TCS off light. I had it checked by a local auto parts store, and a faulty gas cap error code appeared. I bought a new cap from the local Lexus dealership, installed it at home, and all warning lights immediately went off, though a tech told me it could take up to two weeks for the vehicle to automatically clear the code (he did, however, offer to clear the code for $39.95). The gas cap and O2 sensors are very often the culprits, when a "check engine" light is illuminated.
Old 07-22-13, 10:03 PM
Makakio
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O2 sensor will light it up like a christmas tree. overkill.
Old 09-01-13, 10:34 PM
rajeshgk
Driver School Candidate

The spoiler is normally a dealer addition. In order to wire the third brake light, somebody did not do a good job of wiring it properly. The wiring should have been internal, instead they wired it outside and pinching the wires when pressed with the plastic cap. It all started with a short circuit. I had all the lights including the ABS lights on. I took it to my dealer and got a fat bill of $6900+. A group of guys who have started a Lexus service center had the patience to find the root cause analysis and nail the issue for $300. No catalytic converter issue, no ABS pump issue and no brake light issue. I am just out of a dealer daylight robbery. Innocent people are busted in the name of authorized service provider / manufacturer trained. Please see if the wires are pinched and because of it wrong signals get to the main computer.
Old 09-02-13, 06:05 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rajeshgk
The spoiler is normally a dealer addition. In order to wire the third brake light, somebody did not do a good job of wiring it properly. The wiring should have been internal, instead they wired it outside and pinching the wires when pressed with the plastic cap. It all started with a short circuit. I had all the lights including the ABS lights on. I took it to my dealer and got a fat bill of $6900+. A group of guys who have started a Lexus service center had the patience to find the root cause analysis and nail the issue for $300. No catalytic converter issue, no ABS pump issue and no brake light issue. I am just out of a dealer daylight robbery. Innocent people are busted in the name of authorized service provider / manufacturer trained. Please see if the wires are pinched and because of it wrong signals get to the main computer.
Are you saying you were given a bill for $6,900.00 If so for what? Did you authorize that repair ? If so based on what information did they give you . If a short circuit happens it has to trip a fuse thats why fuses are there. That should of been there first step before reading codes. Something is wrong with your dealers explanation. Sounds like Lexus of Somali . RPG's in the torture or waiting room.
Old 09-03-13, 08:42 AM
Makakio
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he AVOIDED the $6900 bill. I am not surprised at all. Dealers just plain suck. Unless it's under warranty (and even then pretty much only for broken stuff), or a recall issue just find a great Toyota tech in your town and do that. Glad you didn't get soaked.
Old 09-27-13, 11:43 AM
JJsc430
Driver School Candidate

Just happened to me yesterday (Thursday) with warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine.
2008 GX470 CPO w/ 42K, just serviced day before by Lexus for 1st complimentary oil change.

Brought into same Lexus dealership this morning and they determined culprit was loose Gas Cap and reset codes/engine lights. When this happens all four lights come on as a caution to the owner.
So far so good.
Old 04-22-14, 01:52 PM
montanagx
9th Gear

Does anyone know the Toyota part # for the gas cap? My Toyota dealer couldn't cross reference. I am assuming maybe the FJ Cruiser cap Toyota part # 77300-06040 may work?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-22-14, 02:37 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Quick Reply: GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine.