GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Michelin Tire Question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 04:29 AM
sofranke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Michelin Tire Question...

Hi There,

Interested in seeing if anyone here has opions regarding Michelin Cross Terrain's VS. Michelin LTX A/T-2?? Does anyone on the forum have the A/T-2 on their vehicle? Thoughts, Experiences, etc??

I have a 2005 GX with 39k and want to replace the original Michelin Cross Terrain's. Love the tire, experienced great performance in the snows of Western Maryland/Pa and love the ride/quietness.

HOWEVER, the LTX A/T-2 is highly rated as well, and I definitely want to stick with Michelin.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Eric
2005 GX470 (39k)
2008 GS460 (3k)
Old 09-26-12, 07:12 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

LOVE LOVE LOVE the CT's. In fact I replaced my CT's that I got 65k miles out of with new CT's - if it ain't broken don't fix it.

You shouldn't need to replace CT's at 38k miles unless you are seeing uneven wear for some reason. They have a 65k mile tread wear warranty.
Old 09-26-12, 09:32 AM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sofranke
I have a 2005 GX with 39k
How do you manage to have 2005 car with only 39k miles? That's impressive!
Old 09-26-12, 11:59 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I would say if there was a "step up" in the Michelin tire choice, I choose the LTX M/S 2 before going to the All Terrains for non off road use.
Old 09-27-12, 09:52 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi There,

Interested in seeing if anyone here has opions regarding Michelin Cross Terrain's VS. Michelin LTX A/T-2?? Does anyone on the forum have the A/T-2 on their vehicle? Thoughts, Experiences, etc??

I have a 2005 GX with 39k and want to replace the original Michelin Cross Terrain's. Love the tire, experienced great performance in the snows of Western Maryland/Pa and love the ride/quietness.

HOWEVER, the LTX A/T-2 is highly rated as well, and I definitely want to stick with Michelin.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Eric
2005 GX470 (39k)
2008 GS460 (3k)
I've had the CT's on my GX. I'm now running Michelin x-ice until I wear them out.

I absolutely loved the CT's. Quiet, wore like iron, great traction -- snow, ice, everything (don't care about mud traction).

I'm attracted to the AT's and the LTXs, but I don't believe either is "snowflake" winter rated. This means, to me, that the CT's going to be superior on snow/ice. I wish the CT's looked a bit more butch, but you can't argue with the performance. They'll probably be my next tire.
Old 09-27-12, 12:57 PM
ALAN553
Racer

the LTX m/s2 looks pretty similar to the CT. If you want the snowflake on the side wall you can only expect 30,000 or less usable miles from that type of tire, softer tread wears quicker especially in the warmer weather. The LTX m/s2 should be better in snow than the CT but that would be up to the testers to quantify.
Old 09-27-12, 02:51 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
the LTX m/s2 looks pretty similar to the CT. If you want the snowflake on the side wall you can only expect 30,000 or less usable miles from that type of tire, softer tread wears quicker especially in the warmer weather. The LTX m/s2 should be better in snow than the CT but that would be up to the testers to quantify.
No, that's an over generalization.

True for true ice tires like the blizzak; not true for a/s tires that are certified w/the snowflake.

The CT's wear like iron. I ran mine for 60k miles and they had 20k less on them when I sold them (with an extra set of wheels).
Old 09-27-12, 05:06 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I'm attracted to the AT's and the LTXs, but I don't believe either is "snowflake" winter rated. This means, to me, that the CT's going to be superior on snow/ice.
Wait. CT's *are* "Snowflake" Winter rated?

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 09-27-12, 06:47 PM
ALAN553
Racer

I am a little confused, neither the AT, LTX M/ s nor the CT are branded with the winter snowflake. They are all season tires. Although great in the snow not as good as dedicated winter tires.
Old 09-27-12, 07:48 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

I had CTs on my 4Runner - they were great tires, lasted almost 70K miles. They easily handled anything that was thrown at them, including snow. But they do mot have a Snow Flake symbol.

I currently run LTX M/S2 on my GX. My highly attuned "backside" sensor is telling me that M/S2 provide better handling then CT. Definitely better snow traction. But, they also do not carry the "Snow Flake" stamp.

If you want an AT tire with a "Snow Flake" then you should consider Goodyear Silent Armor. I installed them on my 4Runner and I'm totally happy with them. While being well-mannered for highway use, they are vastly superior to both CTs and M/S2s in the snow.
Old 09-27-12, 09:39 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kermee
Wait. CT's *are* "Snowflake" Winter rated?

Cheers,
Kermee
I could have sworn mine were, but I no longer have them to check. I can't tell on the tire rack site. Either way, they were outstanding in all conditions.
Old 09-28-12, 03:28 AM
sofranke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... You guys are giving me a lot to consider.

By no means are my original CT's worn out at 39k, but I'm going to replace them regardless.
Interestingly, the LTX A/T-2 have a tread depth of 14/32... CT is 12/32.
Also, the fact that LTX A/T-2's come as stock/OEM equipment on the highly popular Honda Pilot & Ridgeline peaked my interest. I mean, if Honda is placing them on those two vehicles, I'd think they had to be fairly unobtrusive and a good performer.

Definitely don't like the fact that the AT-2's only come in outline white letters in 265/65-17... Probably leaning toward the CT's, but have another month and a half to decide.
Old 09-28-12, 04:26 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Definitely don't like the fact that the AT-2's only come in outline white letters in 265/65-17...

just flip them with letters on the inside
Old 09-29-12, 05:07 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Wow... You guys are giving me a lot to consider.

By no means are my original CT's worn out at 39k, but I'm going to replace them regardless.
Interestingly, the LTX A/T-2 have a tread depth of 14/32... CT is 12/32.
Also, the fact that LTX A/T-2's come as stock/OEM equipment on the highly popular Honda Pilot & Ridgeline peaked my interest. I mean, if Honda is placing them on those two vehicles, I'd think they had to be fairly unobtrusive and a good performer.

Definitely don't like the fact that the AT-2's only come in outline white letters in 265/65-17... Probably leaning toward the CT's, but have another month and a half to decide.
I would not use the Pilot nor the Ridgeline (which is one and the same) as a point reference when making a decision. They are completely different vehicles from your GX, in both engineering and intended use.

I'm not saying that the tires do not perform well, but rather that they are used on a differently purposed vehicle (when was the last time you saw either Pilot or Ridgeline anywhere off road, even an easy one?).
Old 09-30-12, 05:27 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by snhrph
I would not use the Pilot nor the Ridgeline (which is one and the same) as a point reference when making a decision. They are completely different vehicles from your GX, in both engineering and intended use.

I'm not saying that the tires do not perform well, but rather that they are used on a differently purposed vehicle (when was the last time you saw either Pilot or Ridgeline anywhere off road, even an easy one?).

I mean you drive a LEXUS for pete sake and after extensive testing the CT's are what LEXUS decided to install on their TRUCK. The Hondas while I am sure they are fine people movers are nothing ore than glorified/jacked up Honda Accords.

Quick Reply: Michelin Tire Question...