GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Any GX Owners driven a Rx330 or 350? Am I missing out on the GX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-12, 05:02 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any GX Owners driven a Rx330 or 350? Am I missing out on the GX?

I did a search and came up with no comparison here.

I was thinking about getting a GX470 for the extra room and to start over. I own an RX330 and love it but it's not allot of cargo space and I feel I need more but do not want to go Ford or Chevy

Anyone here have any experience with the RX330 or 350? Problems in comparison? etc. etc. I will do some actual list comparisons but that really does not say allot but a list.

Last edited by infinirx; 07-14-12 at 05:03 PM. Reason: not enough title info
Old 07-14-12, 06:58 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was loaned an RX350 when we last visited the Lexus dealer. Agree that there's not much room. The BIG difference IMHO, is that the RX is a car, not a truck. A very nice small car with AWD, but a car.

I guess it all depends on what you want.
Old 07-14-12, 07:05 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd gen rex350 looks great and rides great... much better than a gx470...
all the other rx 330 350 rides great too but look like a girl's ride... see too many guy riding those rx's and they look funny...

anyway a gx470 is not as smooth but sure as hell best the rx in every other manner of ownership...
Old 07-14-12, 07:09 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

hey op, you have an infiniti? i got g35 coupe... funny name...
Old 07-14-12, 07:22 PM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RX = chick car
Old 07-15-12, 02:17 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

No "INFINI" is my old companies name. No affiliation to Infiniti cars. Well the RX is NOT a car at all and is NOT a woman's car but I think can fit the Soccer mom (not chick) at times and I understand some of your prejudices. I think that's however a very surface assessment.

But yeah I don;t care about the smooth ride and want a full SUV not a crossover.

Hows the MPG and maintenance on the GX? My RX is pretty basic. Trans/Differential front and rear/Engine Oil and the rare Break/rotors. MPG is after my Mods about 19.5 hwy.
Old 07-15-12, 07:36 AM
squeege
Driver

I've been loaned the RX when in service for the GX.

My parents bought a Toyota Venza & when sitting in the driver's seat looking around at the interior structure (not finishes), it looks just like the RX.

No comparison between the RX & GX

Sq
Old 07-15-12, 07:41 AM
z0lt3c
Driver

Originally Posted by infinirx
But yeah I don;t care about the smooth ride and want a full SUV not a crossover.
Only way to know for sure is to go drive one. However, IMO there is a BIG difference in ride between the GX and RX. Although both feature the trademark super quiet lexus cabin, thats about where the similarities end. The GX, with full time 4WD, a much taller body with a high and heavier center of gravity is not going to handle or accelerate like the RX. Where-as the RX may drive like a station wagon the GX drives more like a school bus. Highway performance also greatly favors the RX as the GX can be sluggish at high speeds, you won't be passing anyone in the GX. The GX is also going to translate more driveline vibrations into the cabin and steering wheel, vibrations at certain speeds is common.

Hows the MPG and maintenance on the GX?
The MPG for the GX is poor compared to the industry but not bad considering the size of the engine and weight of the car. I get about 17 mpg highway and 15mpg city driving. It averages out to somewhere in the 16 range for me. The maintenance is typical of most Lexus in as much as you have your 90K service w/ timing belt and water pump and hopefully not much else. There are some problematic areas of the GX, such as the rear air suspension, cracked dashboards, clunking driveshafts...etc... but most vehicles have their trouble spots. Most Lexus owners are very picky about their rides, and if you want the GX to ride like new, it will be pricey to upkeep.

Good luck... it's a great vehicle, but I only suggest the GX to those looking for onroad/offroad capabilities and/or the need to tow (it's a great tow vehicle). If neither of these functions are on your must-have list, I would stick w/ the RX or another 6C crossover.

Last edited by z0lt3c; 07-16-12 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-15-12, 11:29 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

My wife has had a 330 for 2.5 years and loves it. I hate it - too used to the size, power, and ride characteristics of the GX. As someone pointed out, the only way to know is to test drive a GX. They are truly different in more ways than you can list. If you like the RX a lot, you may find the GX less appealing.

And like it or not, the RX does have a "chick car" stigma to it. Sorry, but don't blame the messenger.
Old 07-15-12, 11:32 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

And maintenance costs are exactly the same for our vehicles.
Old 07-16-12, 03:33 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

All great feedback. Thanks!
Old 07-16-12, 06:44 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by EricGreen
RX = chick car
Ignorance is bliss!
Old 07-16-12, 08:38 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Well the RX is NOT a car at all and is NOT a woman's car but I think can fit the Soccer mom (not chick) at times and I understand some of your prejudices. I think that's however a very surface assessment.
the RX is most definitely on a car frame, one it shared with the camry (which makes it a car for all intents and purposes - http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-rx450h-review). They can call it a "crossover" all they want to, but what that means is that we made a car look like a truck SUV. The GX boasts a full bodied truck frame, which means it's definitely not a car and wont ride as such. Thats not to say the RX is inferior, it's just that they serve separate purposes.

I was given an RX350 as a loaner during the last service visit and I admit it was quite nice, but if you're looking for something that has the soul of a truck with great towing capability then the GX is where it's at.

Hows the MPG and maintenance on the GX? My RX is pretty basic. Trans/Differential front and rear/Engine Oil and the rare Break/rotors. MPG is after my Mods about 19.5 hwy.
My wife was averaging about 18.2 mpg mixed driving before the lift and 33" mud tires. It's since dropped to about 16.5, but I'm ok with that, because if I was really concerned about gas mileage, I wouldnt have even considered such a vehicle. Aside from the timing belt/water pump replacement we havent had to spend a thing outside of normal wear and tear items. Well.....I take that back, I did accidentally destory the CV boot after failing to check a buddies work tightening the sway bar. I replaced the entire axle, but that wasnt even that expensive seeing that most important drivetrain/suspension parts are interchangeable with the 4runner.

Last edited by SouthernSS; 07-16-12 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-16-12, 05:10 PM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Ignorance is bliss!
It's even better than that
Old 07-16-12, 06:09 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

z0lt3c and SouthernSS are spot on with their comments. The GX is a truck and an old design at that. Look no farther than the freaking cassette deck! Its a heavy duty rig thats just plain over-kill for the daily grind. I'll add that the GX rides much more smoothly than the RX (maybe the super compliant, tall rubber?). All in all, I haven't lost one minute of sleep by choosing the GX over the RX. I look forward to having it in the family for many years to come.

My friend used to sell for Lexus and said upgrading families from a RX to a GX was the easiest of all upgrades. The guys thought the RX was for soccer moms and both parents bite on the third row for their kids' friends.

(The Hybrid Highlander Ltd maybe, but not the RX. It cost less than the RX and has just as many features plus good mpg).

Quick Reply: Any GX Owners driven a Rx330 or 350? Am I missing out on the GX?