GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Water Damage Foglights

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 02:46 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water Damage Foglights

Hello all. I have a problem and would like to know if its fixable or I need new fog lights. Last year I installed HIDs for my foglights, and as it turns out I did a sloppy job. I needed to cut a hole in the back cover of the foglight assembly to install the HID kit. (I know, I know…) So I used some silicone to seal the hole afterwards. Yesterday my friend and I went off-roading for the first time and against my better judgement I decided to disregard the "Deep Water" warning sign, and sunk half the truck. I felt that it was the last destination for my wife's GX, as besides sinking while tilting to the far left, the sound of the car bottoming out on the underwater rocks were a sure sign of a quickly approaching disaster. Luckily I still made it out of the mud water with, but not before some damage, and my foglight half filled with mud liquid. I realised the damage done to the light after I washed the car, and noticed that my driver side light was darker (lens gray in colour), I am not sure if this happened due to heat exposure from HID lamp and the dirt cooked on to the reflector and the lens. So, my question is there any way to clean that stuff out, or I'm screwed. Can they be taken apart? Or is it even worth trying, as plastic reflector as well as the lens are toast?
Also, the car is going on the lift on Monday to check things out on the bottom of the car.

Thanks all
Old 06-03-12, 02:48 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Default Water Damage Fog Lights

Watter... lol. My "t" got stuck
Old 06-03-12, 07:05 PM
TopGear300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lens Restoration Kits would be my best guess? Just a lens can't run to high on eBay if you are patient
Old 06-03-12, 08:27 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Default Update

Well, I couldn't wait for the answer, so I decided to take matters in to my own hands. I took the lights out and realised that, the reason the lights took on water wasn't due my lack of skill when I installed HIDs, rather it was the factory vents at the back of the lights, through which the water got in.
I decided to take them apart by baking them (first time doing this type of baking) following Google instructions I managed to disassemble, clean, and reassemble both fog lights. I hope they will still hold regular moisture out like before.
Anyhow, let this be a warning that diving is not recommended with the GX.
Here is a pic of the damage to the lights and one of my car with the watermark clearly showing how steep and deep the submersion was, I'm glad that the headlights didn't drink.
Attached Thumbnails Water Damage Foglights-lights.jpg   Water Damage Foglights-watermark.jpg  
Old 06-04-12, 01:01 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

To me it looks you have not sealed the Fog Beam properly from the rear once the wiring hole was made, Air fissures create not much visible or could be bad ''Curing"and a bad sealant.
I being the Aircraft Industry use this Brand Called : DOW CORNING" RTV sealant they are the best, last of years, and resist weathering and extreme temperature performance. I can vouch for this brand,
Old 06-08-12, 04:06 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sometimes we learn things the hard way. Unless your rig has been specially modified for deep water excursions, driving through deep mud holes just isn't a good idea.

I did the same thing once to a 1987 Toyota 4Runner, and it came out looking like yours, with mud half-way up the right side. Luckily, I never noticed any lasting damage, but I also thought we were going down for the count. Won't do that again.

Another time we took our Ford Expedition through some serious thick, gooey, clay-type red mud in Moab. Even though I spent like $10 at the $.25 car wash trying to remove the stuff--it was several inches thick--I'm sure there is still some red clay under that truck today. It dried into concrete in just a few minutes. Yuck!