GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suede headliner

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 03:42 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Suede headliner

I dig it. All pillars.

Old 05-01-12, 05:46 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nicely done and certainly no small task.

Old 05-01-12, 06:42 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics look terrible but I dig it too. I wonder if its suede or Alcantara? Ive often thought of having this done on a few cars but have never looked into it. I assume were talking pretty serious moolah. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 05-01-12, 08:04 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Ill take some more tmrw.
Old 05-01-12, 09:11 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks good ROK. I did the same in my BMW. The alcantara has held up great for over 5yrs now.

Originally Posted by Muti007
I assume were talking pretty serious moolah. Thanks for sharing that.

Its only a couple hundred dollars for a 5 meter roll of real alcantara. It gets pricey when you have a shop re-upholster it for you.

If youre on a budget you can get some suede looking material from Michaels for cheap and it looks and feels just like alcantara but I dont know how it will hold up over time to the sun. Thats whats good about alcantara, your pillars wont fade due to UV rays.
Old 05-01-12, 09:15 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Oh ROK, thats your truck? I didnt realize that! In that case, apologies for the rude tenor of my previous post. Can I ask what it cost and is it really suede or is it Alacantara?

RCsGX, thanks for the tip on pricing, did you install yours yourself?! No way Id do that myself, it would NEVER look as awesome as ROKs does. Id definitely want to pay a pro.
Old 05-01-12, 09:45 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was going to do it myself but I found the complete alcantara interior off of a wrecked M5 for cheap so it was a no brainer just to buy it and swap it out. Saved me alot of time! Before I found that deal, there was a few places I got alcantara samples from:

www.gulfcoastfabrics

www.mjmautohaus.com (Sparco recommended them)

If you dont have the time or patience then its best to have it professionally installed. In Houston we have ALOT of custom car places and you can get it done for around $600-$700 with real alcantara. If it were me, Id buy the alcantara and bring it to them...that way you know they used real alcantara and you know it will hold up over time.

It really makes the interior feel and look more luxurious but using dark alcantara will make it feel smaller on the inside, like painting a ceiling dark, it makes the room feel smaller...but we dont have to worry about that since the roof is so tall to begin with on the GX.

Cant wait to see more of ROKs pictures!
Old 05-01-12, 10:37 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Yeah Id want to do my GX and LS together. In the GX, Id probably go with a tan and on my LS a navy blue.
Old 05-01-12, 03:24 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

-i had everything above the window sill line sueded out which obviously includes the pillars but also the trunk area

-i also had the visors wrapped in suede

-my installer advised against going with alcantara primarily due to color choice and he doesn't see any advantages of going with alcantara on headliner jobs as all the windows are UV shielded in the GX and it's a non-touch surface. like in my other car not only is the headliner alcantara, but so are the seating surfaces, the steering wheel and shift ****. yes, alcantara has crazy durability designed into the fabric construction so a must for this type of application. i don't recall atm what type of suede he used, but he says he hasn't had any issues with fading inall his years in the business (over a decade). the few bucks saved was welcomed (esp on a 5 yr old car), plus i wanted to go with a color that more closely matched my gray trim pieces. alcantara gray would've been darker so the handles, belts and such would've contrasted a bit too much for my liking. the install comes with a warranty so i'm good2go.

i'm sure i'm going to love it as it gives it a much more luxurious ambiance!

Last edited by ROK; 05-01-12 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 03:29 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Muti007
Yeah Id want to do my GX and LS together. In the GX, Id probably go with a tan and on my LS a navy blue.
Go for it bud!

another interesting point my installer made is that the suede/alcantara is directional so the good installers will know to line them all up in the same direction whereas others will cut corners since they can reduce the amount of material they have to buy/use (roof to pillar)

Last edited by ROK; 05-01-12 at 03:32 PM.