GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is the GX a bad daily commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 07:15 AM
prwdmd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the GX a bad daily commuter?

Within the next year my daily commute is likely going to increase to around 45 miles one-way. This means a lot of driving... I'm starting to wonder if a sedan like a GS350 would be a better long distance commuter. There are two main things on my mind: 1) the size and weight of the GX... it is rather cumbersome for zipping around traffic. Also 2) fuel economy... right now I'm spending $300-$400/month just on gas and that would increase when my commuting distance increases.

I love the GX and I'm trying to convince the wife to take it so we can still keep it in our (2-car) fleet. I've been looking a lot at the GS350. Does anyone else feel that the GX isn't good for long distance commuting and that a Lexus sedan would be a better suited vehicle?
Old 04-05-12, 07:57 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Short and sweet....if youre worried about MPGs get a car.
Old 04-05-12, 08:30 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. We've actually been pretty happy with the GX & Prius combo. There's something to be said for driving around at 75mph while getting 46-47mpg (and on snow tires no less!). The Prius isn't at all interesting but it's effective. The GX is awesome for some things but mileage surely isn't one of them.
Old 04-05-12, 09:27 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If MPG is the primary concern, then a car is a better choice than GX.

Otherwise, it is really a personal choice as to what you like to drive.
I have a car for myself and GX for my wife or when we go with our daughter. While I love the GX, I would never prefer driving it when I'm by myself.
Old 04-05-12, 09:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

gas is the main (big) problem. if you can get over it it's an ok dd
Old 04-05-12, 09:40 AM
plunger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd get a cheap commuter car and keep the GX. You're going to put over 22k miles a year with that commute. Let a cheaper car take the abuse. GX needs new oil at 5k miles, thats every 2.5 months at that rate. Other manufactures are doing 7.5k-10k oil change intervals.

The cheap commuter car will pay for itself with the standard fuel, depreciation, maintenance, etc vs a luxury name plate.
Old 04-05-12, 10:02 AM
prwdmd
Rookie

As I said in my original post fuel economy is only part of my concern... another main issue is the handling of such a big truck for a long commute. There is a lot more play in the steering than your average vehicle... it takes a lot of small corrections to keep it going straight. Also if it's windy the tall GX is no fun to drive on the highway. I'm thinking a sedan would be generally more comfortable for the driver for longer distance...
Old 04-05-12, 11:06 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by prwdmd
As I said in my original post fuel economy is only part of my concern... another main issue is the handling of such a big truck for a long commute. There is a lot more play in the steering than your average vehicle... it takes a lot of small corrections to keep it going straight. Also if it's windy the tall GX is no fun to drive on the highway. I'm thinking a sedan would be generally more comfortable for the driver for longer distance...
If your GX takes alot of corrections to keep it going straight something is wrong with your tires and or suspension. My GX tracks straight as an arrow going 70mph+ and I have no problem driving it in Houston traffic. What do you need to dip in and out of lanes for if youre driving long distance?

It seems yuve already answered your own question. If want / need a zippy vehicle with good gas mileage then you need a car.
Old 04-05-12, 11:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by plunger
I'd get a cheap commuter car and keep the GX. You're going to put over 22k miles a year with that commute. Let a cheaper car take the abuse. GX needs new oil at 5k miles, thats every 2.5 months at that rate. Other manufactures are doing 7.5k-10k oil change intervals.

The cheap commuter car will pay for itself with the standard fuel, depreciation, maintenance, etc vs a luxury name plate.
not sure if i entirely agree with this, it's like saying all luxury / expensive cars should be for the weekends only. a cheap daily of course is going to cost less, but you are possibly losing the quietness, smoothness, power, handling, audio systems, electronics and conveniences, etc...

i have had quite a few luxury cars and they are all my daily drivers. yup for sure it costs more to drive those than say driving a camry every day, but that's the price i am ok to pay

Originally Posted by prwdmd
but by the same concept isn't that a compact sport car goes even better on the road? i think you are getting into the area where you just see what's good for you. i have always been a driver so of course suv is not much of a driver car for me. coming from a m3, my s550 now feels like a boat. it's by no means a bad daily at all, far better than gx (in some sense), but again, what am i looking for?

the gx is not "as easy" to handle, but it's not hard to handle at all, it's not a very big car (my s550 is much longer). cross wind can be a problem and you have to decide in your area whether it makes sense. for me it's not a fighting game to drive the gx
Old 04-05-12, 12:08 PM
2OnyxLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Matsui
If MPG is the primary concern, then a car is a better choice than GX.

Otherwise, it is really a personal choice as to what you like to drive.
I have a car for myself and GX for my wife or when we go with our daughter. While I love the GX, I would never prefer driving it when I'm by myself.
I'm in the same boat.
Old 04-06-12, 08:23 PM
Nostics_RX
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I'd get a quality small used car...like a Civic w/ manual transmission. Good mpg and still fun drive in and out of traffic. You still get to keep your GX for the weekend.
Old 04-06-12, 11:53 PM
plunger
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, you can get a new Civic or Corolla and beat the heck out of it and only lose $5k-10k value at the most after a handful of years.

How much depreciation would a Lexus with a lot of miles packed on lose in the same amount of time? A whole lot more, thats for sure.
Old 04-07-12, 07:46 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plunger
Yeah, you can get a new Civic or Corolla and beat the heck out of it and only lose $5k-10k value at the most after a handful of years.

How much depreciation would a Lexus with a lot of miles packed on lose in the same amount of time? A whole lot more, thats for sure.
Not saying you're wrong, but by this logic, why even own a luxury car in the first place? You bought it because you liked the feeling you got while you were driving, right? Drive the wheels off, and when you kill it, buy another.

You only live once...
Old 04-08-12, 03:04 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cdew002
Not saying you're wrong, but by this logic, why even own a luxury car in the first place? You bought it because you liked the feeling you got while you were driving, right? Drive the wheels off, and when you kill it, buy another.

You only live once...
Completely agree!!! I could not have said it better myself...

A very good friend of mine had a CL550. When the CL was barely broken in, he went out and bought an M6. When I asked him why he got another $100K+ car, he replied that he has two weaknesses: beautiful women and fast cars, and that he likes to indulge in both...